The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Zoukei-Mura P51D Mustang SWS No 4.

You are speeding now with the P-51 and it looks great. Sorry to hear about the cowling issues. As Kai says, on the Ta-152 this was pure horror. I couldn't find a solution for openable cowlings even with PE bent hinges. It was a nightmare. It seems like most of the ZM kits are better left open for good fit. When cowlings come into into play, it gets interesting.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Nice progress Phil. They definitely need a bit of forethought at times. I was able to get the cowlings on my Skyraider to be removable after completion and if I ever get back to the He219, I think that'll be the case there as well. Still, not always the easiest of builds. 

Carl

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Wing assembled and tips added, waiting to clean up once it’s all set. Control column added and tail now fixed to fuselage. Next is to tidy the engine and mount it. One particular item with the ZM is that it’s either exposed engine and frame or completely closed up, wish there was a half and half, may look in to it. Still not sure which scheme to do or decals etc................thanks for looking......96902748-CAA5-400C-A28F-D19A68231DA4.thumb.jpeg.57c4d0196d13465a1d451de3e2e63fde.jpeg

Phil

Fantastic progress - from the looks of the photo, you have your Mustang well under control and close to the  downhill run. Good question about being able to display the Merlin engine in any manor you want but I've read, the ZM kit doesn't give you the options of the Tamiya kit. I've have my three Tamiya Mustangs displayed: one with the Merlin almost completely exposed, one just the top half open and one all closed up. Believe it or not, I prefer the closed up version the best once they were in the display case.  What I think would be really cool, is to have the option of the Merlin on a engine trolley for display and the cowling closed up on the Mustang as an option but no such option on either kit..

Keep 'em comin 

Peter

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Stunning progress with your Stang! You are moving clearly to the finish-line. The weapon bays will be left open ?

Thanks Kai, much appreciated.....I’m thinking of having bays empty and engine open everything in maintenance mode......

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Fantastic progress - from the looks of the photo, you have your Mustang 

Thanks Peter much appreciated, the box does seem to a very little left to fit now.......I think I am going full maintenance mode on this one.....I have a ZM MK IV which will be buttoned up......

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Looking mighty good, top notch work all the way

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter, should have fixed the engine and frame to the fire wall as separate components, it’s be a bit of a mare at present aligning everything.....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Since I’ve been back at work the benchtime has be very very limited. Ironically after the 26th March back on furlough. Anyway small update been fixing engine and the last of the plumbing. Now test fitting the cowling frames, the two seen are just placed before fixing them. It’s starting look like a 51 now, I think........gun bay covers blu tacked in for spraying....6EA753A7-713F-49FD-A3F1-EC0F853C988A.thumb.jpeg.890fd5cd3f895583bc3619f7d05b9916.jpeg

• Like 8

Phil

Love your progress on the Mustang and work surely does cut into bench time. Nice idea about finishing your ‘Stang in a maintenance display and the next one, all buttoned up. Always felt spending countless hours, working on so many details and then after assembly they never will be seen. I’m not a big fan of ‘ at least I know the details were done’.
Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 2

On 3/1/2021 at 2:50 PM, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Kai, much appreciated.....I’m thinking of having bays empty and engine open everything in maintenance mode......

Great progress Phil and the idea of putting the engine outside for maintenance will lead to a stunning diorama. Very good idea! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

Love your progress on the Mustang and work surely does cut into bench time. Nice idea about finishing your ‘Stang in a maintenance display and the next one, all buttoned up.

Thanks Peter, there was so much AM came with this purchase, it was a shame to leave it in the box. The only trouble is there are figures to do..........when I do do the MK IV should be interesting because I’ll get hung up on the details again...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great progress Phil and the idea of putting the engine outside for maintenance will lead to a stunning diorama. Very good idea! 

Thanks Kai, much appreciated, my figure painting is going to have to improve though.......hopefully I can pull it off........

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Rob, the Mustang is very elegant......IMHO.......if you do build one I’d recommend the ZM because if the construction sequence....

I have the ZM Mustang IV boxing in my stash and would wish to start it soon, but there are so many other projects,....

Cheers Rob

• Like 4