Jump to content

1:32 scale Ansaldo A.1 'Balilla'


Recommended Posts

Hi all,
Some modellers think photo-etch 'is your friend'   :eek2:
Here are the wing and strut rigging attachments plus the aileron control levers.
All are photo-etch and with self-aligning 'hinged' anchor plates for attaching the rigging lines.

Mike

wingPE1.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 10:48 PM, sandbagger said:

Hi all,
Some modellers think photo-etch 'is your friend'   :eek2:
Here are the wing and strut rigging attachments plus the aileron control levers.
All are photo-etch and with self-aligning 'hinged' anchor plates for attaching the rigging lines.

Mike

wingPE1.jpg

Well, I do not know who the « some » are, but definitely not me :wallbash:.

Although I am working hard at improving my relation with PE. As popular wisdom goes, you can be a good craftsman, but with bad tools, you’ll not go very far; you’ll go nowhere if you are a bad craftsman with bad tools; and you will maybe produce acceptable results if you are a poor craftsman but have good tools. Which is what I am trying to do ;) .

So I can say that, after I got the Toolz and Barracuda PE benders and a more powerful soldering iron, I am getting better at producing average results with PE, ... and soldering.

As for you, Mike, you are in the fourth subgroup: a master craftsman with obviously good tools :unworthy:

Hubert

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,
I've finally applied all of the required decals.
Accurate cutting out of the decals is necessary for the wing coverings and alignment of edges is necessary.
Slight overhang of dried decal was gently sanded away.
Weather, although slight, was done using 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt fine clay wash, sealed with 'Alclad' Semi-Matte lacquer.

Now it's onto fitting the photo-etch rigging anchors before pre-rigging is carried out.

Mike

washdone1.jpg

 

washdone2.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sandbagger said:

Hi all,
I've finally applied all of the required decals.
Accurate cutting out of the decals is necessary for the wing coverings and alignment of edges is necessary.
Slight overhang of dried decal was gently sanded away.
Weather, although slight, was done using 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt fine clay wash, sealed with 'Alclad' Semi-Matte lacquer.

Now it's onto fitting the photo-etch rigging anchors before pre-rigging is carried out.

Mike

washdone1.jpg

 

washdone2.jpg

That looks absolutely stunning! :unworthy:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,
An example of pre-rigging a twin flying wire anchor for the lower wing roots.
A combination of 0.08 mm and 0.15 mm diameter mono-filament and 0.4 mm and 0.5 mm blackened brass tubes.
All together there will be sixteen various types of hinged rigging anchors to pre-rig before the wings are fitted,

Mike

prerig1.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,
Just a few updates.
The lower wings with the twin flying wire anchors are fitted.
Also two 'plates' have been made from spare photo-etch and fitted to the wing roots.
These plates may have been step plates or access covers to the rigging anchors.
I've assembled the landing gear (wheels only test fitted), but its yet to be weathered etc.
The 'bungee' suspension cord is EZ white (heavy) line and bracing wires added but not yet tightened.
I've added between the front and rear struts the axle restraining cables, made from 0.4 mm annealed copper wire.

Mike

ucprep.jpg

lowwingson.jpg

wingplates.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandbagger said:

Hi all,
Just a few updates.
The lower wings with the twin flying wire anchors are fitted.
Also two 'plates' have been made from spare photo-etch and fitted to the wing roots.
These plates may have been step plates or access covers to the rigging anchors.
I've assembled the landing gear (wheels only test fitted), but its yet to be weathered etc.
The 'bungee' suspension cord is EZ white (heavy) line and bracing wires added but not yet tightened.
I've added between the front and rear struts the axle restraining cables, made from 0.4 mm annealed copper wire.

Mike

ucprep.jpg

lowwingson.jpg

wingplates.jpg

 

This is simply awesome, have no other words for it. It will be a world-class-model in the end :unworthy:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,
Unfortunately at this stage of the build I've realised that two of the four interplane struts have no reinforcing rods, which are needed as otherwise the resin strut will bend and break easily.
Normally I would make replacement struts from brass tube, but the end fittings of these struts are square in section, which would be difficult to replicate.
The customer service from Richard at 'Aviattic' is second to none so I'm hoping he'll be able to find replacements for me. 
While I'm waiting for replacement struts I've started on the figures.

The pilot figure is the ‘Copper State Models’ Italian flying ace (F32-030).
The mechanic is the ‘Model Kasten’ mechanic from Set B., as is the ladder.
I've altered the mechanic figure from German to a more generic figure and replaced the head with head H1 from the ‘Hornet’ bare heads-mature faces (HH/8) set.
I may reshape the head as it seems rather tall?
To stop the figure from falling off the ladder, I've pinned the right arm into the ladder to plank.

Mike

pilot1.jpg

mechanic1.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sandbagger said:

Hi all,
Unfortunately at this stage of the build I've realised that two of the four interplane struts have no reinforcing rods, which are needed as otherwise the resin strut will bend and break easily.
Normally I would make replacement struts from brass tube, but the end fittings of these struts are square in section, which would be difficult to replicate.
The customer service from Richard at 'Aviattic' is second to none so I'm hoping he'll be able to find replacements for me. 
While I'm waiting for replacement struts I've started on the figures.

The pilot figure is the ‘Copper State Models’ Italian flying ace (F32-030).
The mechanic is the ‘Model Kasten’ mechanic from Set B., as is the ladder.
I've altered the mechanic figure from German to a more generic figure and replaced the head with head H1 from the ‘Hornet’ bare heads-mature faces (HH/8) set.
I may reshape the head as it seems rather tall?
To stop the figure from falling off the ladder, I've pinned the right arm into the ladder to plank.

Mike

pilot1.jpg

mechanic1.jpg

The figures will be a nice addition and will bring life to your model.

To answer your question: My personal opinion is that it would be good to reshape the head because it really is too tall as the forehead is too high.

I even thought this at the first glance at the figure without having read your text.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...