The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster

JohnB

Next up is the Lancaster. This is the updated kit with new parts, etc. It's been on my shelf for a while so now I think I'll go on and get it started. Not sure which particular a/c just yet. Stay tuned! :)

12-12-20 001.jpg

• Like 9

Are you going to make good a couple of obvious defects or will it be OOB ?

I think its a reasonable kit to build and I am/was in the process of building another (filled the fuselage windows in ) but like a lot of people, another kit takes you away . . . .

I shall llok forward to seeing yours progress . . .

Ian

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Great choice, I have a couple of them in the stash and the plan was to build them when I had "honed" my skills enough to do them justice, they are still waiting !

Cheers

Dennis

I built the original issue of this kit MANY moons ago. I'm glad Tamiya decided to do a upgrade so now I'll get this one on the bench. :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FME erk said:

Are you going to make good a couple of obvious defects or will it be OOB ?

I think its a reasonable kit to build and I am/was in the process of building another (filled the fuselage windows in ) but like a lot of people, another kit takes you away . . . .

I shall llok forward to seeing yours progress . . .

Ian

What are the obvious defects Ian? All looks okay to me but what do I know......:)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Brilliant, I have been coveting this kit since it first appeared in 1975, I STILL haven’t bought one :wallbash:........John I’m hitting that follow button now........

This issue would be the one to get since Tamiya has done a upgrade with additional parts and options (such as the early thin bladed props plus the .50 cal. tail gun installation). :)

• Like 2

Firstly the W/op. window wants moving back . . . 

the 'tram lines' on the top (and bottom) of the main wing where the wing joint is need removing . . . 

I dont know if you are confident enough to erase the frame lines on the front turret and redo to original factory frame work  . . .

The rear escape hatch on the top of the fuselage needs to be the same size as the front one  . . .

After market wheel for smooth thread or simply fill them with filler and smooth round  . . .

Tamiya HW-K 029.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 004.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 045.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 121.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 147.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 230.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FME erk said:

Firstly the W/op. window wants moving back . . . 

the 'tram lines' on the top (and bottom) of the main wing where the wing joint is need removing . . . 

I dont know if you are confident enough to erase the frame lines on the front turret and redo to original factory frame work  . . .

The rear escape hatch on the top of the fuselage needs to be the same size as the front one  . . .

After market wheel for smooth thread or simply fill them with filler and smooth round  . . .

Tamiya HW-K 029.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 004.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 045.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 121.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 147.jpg

Tamiya Lancaster 230.jpg

Well that's not too much to work with. Looks like it can be done without too much trouble. By the way, this issue comes with smooth tires. I'll go peruse my kit and do some considering as to just what approach I might want to take. Thanks for the enlightenment! :)

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, krow113 said:

When is the Tamiya upgrade to have taken effect?

Is it relevent to the prop action Grand Slam kit?

I don't know about that but the "new" issue has some added sprues with the thin prop blades, provisions to mount the props without having to use the Merlins, a new tail turret w/twin .50's , optional clear nose glass and new exhausts (so it can be built without the shrouds).  Here's a photo of the added sprues.

12-13-20 001.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

John, what is the code number or reference to the new boxing, please......I know they did a release with pre-painted canopies but didn’t know about this one.....

61105 Phil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2020 at 11:14 PM, JohnB said:

Well that's not too much to work with. Looks like it can be done without too much trouble. By the way, this issue comes with smooth tires. I'll go peruse my kit and do some considering as to just what approach I might want to take. Thanks for the enlightenment! :)

I'll just pull up a chair and wait for you to get started then   . . . . :popcorn:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FME erk said:

I'll just pull up a chair and wait for you to get started then   . . . . :popcorn:

LOL The only thing I think I will change is the radio operator's window as it is apparent that it's in the wrong place. :) The other things I can live with.

• Like 3

Just about finished with the front end. I painted it with my mix of flat scale black and added some Eduard instrument panels, etc. Seats, since they were leather, I painted straight flat black. And you can see where the wireless ops windows have been re-located (messy inside, not outside!).

12-21-20 001.jpg

• Like 8