The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster

JohnB

On any particular date or op , John?   Time frame , like ? ............................The Squadron converted to Lancasters and became operational in February 1945, and it looks like she flew her first operational sortee February 20/21 1945 , to Dortmund, bombed at 0112 , from 18,500ft, heading 028 at 175 IAS, 10/10 stratus cloud, but visibility was good. P/O Nichol and crew returned safely to base.  That looks to be her first op.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

I’m sure you’ve seen this page......

https://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/bomber-command/bomber-command-no-424-tiger-squadron/

Didn’t realise they were so late converting, half way through the 6 Group history. Presumably they were flying the Hally with Hercules engines up until then....

Yeah, according to their ORB, February was their first Lanc op, otherwise it was the venerable Halifax, my quote above came directly from the ORB....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JohnB said:

I wonder if this particular Lanc was new or passed on from another squadron, etc.

I’m intrigued because this a B Mk 1, I’m not sure if the later marks superseded the Mk 1. 

I also didn’t realise that the Mk X coming out of Canada had the Packard Merlins, which apparently caused havoc when they were sent to RAF squadrons rather than RCAF. The RAF had no spares for the Packard as they were very slightly different. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I’m intrigued because this a B Mk 1, I’m not sure if the later marks superseded the Mk 1. 

I also didn’t realise that the Mk X coming out of Canada had the Packard Merlins, which apparently caused havoc when they were sent to RAF squadrons rather than RCAF. The RAF had no spares for the Packard as they were very slightly different. 

You are dead on , Phil, and I think that was part of the issues with KB700 being such a dog, at first,  plus I read they rushed her out  to operations when she wasn't completely ready........

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking good John, I read one report that the nacelles were a nightmare to fix or align? Yours look perfect!.....

Thanks Phil. Yes, they are a nightmare to get a decent fit. I had to do a fair amount of trimming and filling with plastic putty and they still aren't 100%. I finally said to heck with it as I was tired of fooling with 'em (and was very tempted to put it on the SOD). Pretty high cuss-factor actually! :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1