The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/25 scale XL Specialized HD 130 drop nose lowboy trailer

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

And , I meant NO disrespect by the way, it just struck me as wow what a LOOOOOONNNGG unit it will be , and if it were for real, it would probably be restricted by permit here in B.C. as to where it could go, mostly due to our curvy roads...., but we do have tridem Low Beds, with tridrive tractors with Jeeps and boosters as well, just our tractors aren't any where near as long as your model tractor, I think that is where the length shows most... are you going for the 53 foot low bed? . and my hat is off and I bow to your incredible scratch building skills, my friend.... I am enjoying every update, and it is looking every bit the part...... 

Hey Jeff 

When I first started building the Revell Peterbilt 359 I wasn't up on what was really practical, I  just thought that it would be cool and wanted it to have enough fuel to go, say 2500 miles. I wasn't thinking about permits and restrictions I found out about all that by doing some research, watching YouTube videos and from you my friend. 

I'm actually considering redoing the tractor to a more practical length, right now it's 310.0" wheelbase. What do you think would be appropriate, keeping in mind I want it to be a tridem (two drive axles, one lift axle) large tank/tanks and headache rack, three axle jeep and stinger.

I believe that it might be over 53', I will measure it and let you know. Thanks for the comments and all your help.

Ron G 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Jeff 

When I first started building the Revell Peterbilt 359 I wasn't up on what was really practical, I  just thought that it would be cool and wanted it to have enough fuel to go, say 2500 miles. I wasn't thinking about permits and restrictions I found out about all that by doing some research, watching YouTube videos and from you my friend. 

I'm actually considering redoing the tractor to a more practical length, right now it's 310.0" wheelbase. What do you think would be appropriate, keeping in mind I want it to be a tridem (two drive axles, one lift axle) large tank/tanks and headache rack, three axle jeep and stinger.

I believe that it might be over 53', I will measure it and let you know. Thanks for the comments and all your help.

Ron G 

Let me have a look at our regs, NOT that you probably want to make a Canadian unit, but I do know some of the guys 'down south' like those long frame units, and yeah they look cool, but man I sure would hate to try and man handle one through town ! :rolleyes: Lots of ours are full on Tri-drive, as we don't seem to have a lot of lift axles ahead of the drivers, we did , back in the day have 'tag axles' which is basically the same thing, but as the name suggests , it was at the very rear of the tractor, and usually mounted on just a single axle truck, simulating a tandem drive, but with the capacity to carry the weight, but still only one driver...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Jeff 

I just measured it and works out to be approximately 5.00 feet long!!! :omg:

Tractor is 17.0" total length, 13.875" frt. Bumper to king pin.(this is at the 310.0" W/B)

Jeep is aroind 13.0" total length, 6.50" king pin of jeep to king pin on flip section of trailer.

Trailer is 29.0" total length, 28.25" from flip section king pin to rear of trailer.

Stinger (booster) is 11.00" total length.

So 13.875" + 6.50" + 28.25" + 11.00" = 59.625" almost 5 feet. So you would definitely need permits. ...lol

Ron G 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HOLY !!!  And Pilot cars.    LOL....  sorry I didn't get a chance to have a look yesterday, as we had a Hell of a wind storm blow through and we had no electricity for over 12 hours, and it was getting damn cold in the shack here, I will try to have a squizz today for you..... to me it sounds like all the attachments are ok, just the tractor is a tad long with the frame extension............. also I can't get in touch with my friend who has a tri drive Western Star gravel truck, for comparison.... I will keep at it, pal...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff said:

HOLY !!!  And Pilot cars.    LOL....  sorry I didn't get a chance to have a look yesterday, as we had a Hell of a wind storm blow through and we had no electricity for over 12 hours, and it was getting damn cold in the shack here, I will try to have a squizz today for you..... to me it sounds like all the attachments are ok, just the tractor is a tad long with the frame extension............. also I can't get in touch with my friend who has a tri drive Western Star gravel truck, for comparison.... I will keep at it, pal...

Thanks buddy

Ron G 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HubertB said:

IMHO, the whole would not be any less impressive, and would probably look more « business-like » if it lost a few « yards » of truck chassis frame.

Hubert

That's kind of where I was going Hubert..... some of those tractors in the USA are crazy long..... and to me, like you, Hubert, I am not a real fan of that, for a couple reasons, BUT I am not the guy who paid for the frame lengthening  ;) Here are a few examples, that we will see on the roads around here......

08cae4461ad15789a0649d7cb09a8435--alberta-canada-jokes.jpg

apac-6.jpg

CEMaiSRUEAAPGXG.jpg

img_2370-30-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hey guys 

I've done some more work on the gooseneck of the drop nose RGN trailer. I have the power pack done and painted.

20210116_120346.jpgthis view shows the complete power pack. It's kind of hard to see the hydraulic lines because they are black and so is the power pack. The line to the right is the feed line to the tank, if you use the tractor hydraulic system, the pump and motor are to the left.

20210116_120326.jpgthis view shows the Honda 13hp engine and the hydraulic pump. The two silver lines/fittings are the feeds for the main hydraulic cylinders. You can also see the exhaust pipe I added to the engine.

20210116_120306.jpgthis view shows the tank and the feed lines

20210116_120246.jpgthis view shows the feed line fitting from the front flip section, which is connected to the tractor hydraulic system.

20210116_114154.jpgthis view shows the power pack sitting in place in the gooseneck.

20210116_114134.jpgthis view shows the feed line from the front flip section to the hydraulic tank. The loop in the line allows the flip section to work. 

20210116_114109.jpgthis view shows the exhaust pipe clearing the frame.

I also created from plastic and aluminum tubing the gooseneck support system  and hydraulic cylinder.

20210116_165228.jpg

20210116_165206.jpgthis view shows the support system in the up/retracted position.

20210116_165133.jpgthis view shows the support system in the down/extended position.

20210116_165335.jpganother view showing the support system in the down position. Well that's it for now be back with more soon.

Ron G 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey all 

Ok, I shortened it to a 280" W/B. I think it looks right know.

20210118_144259.jpgthis view shows it with the headache rack in place, this will be modified to look more correct. The fuel tank is sitting in a position to represent where the rear of the new 200 gallon fuel tanks will be.They will be 28" diameter x 90" long. I'm going to make them from some 1" PVC pipe, that is actually 1.125" diameter, 28" in 1/25th scale.

20210118_144239.jpgthis view is more of a side view of the tractor.

I also started on making the XL 80 jeep. I decided to go with a two axle jeep instead of a three axle one. The loads I have for the trailer aren't quite large enough to justify a 3 x 3 x 3 so it's going to be a 2 x 3 x 2 set up.

20210118_144220.jpgthis view shows the tractor, jeep and gooseneck of the trailer.

20210118_144347.jpgthis view shows the jeep in its beginning stage.

20210118_144442.jpgside view of the rear of the tractor and the jeep. Well that's it for now be back with more soon.

Ron G 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey all 

I did some more work on the XL 80 jeep. I have the landing legs made and installed on the jeep. I used some parts from the AMT twin trailer (Consolidated Freight) kit to make the legs. I installed the fifth wheel plate and the fifth wheel permanently to the jeep. I made it movable for/aft, but still fixed to the jeep. I made a temporary axle set up for the jeep, so I could get the legs right.

20210119_154706.jpgthis view shows the XL 80 jeep with the legs and fifth wheel installed.

20210119_154645.jpgside view of the jeep.

20210119_154625.jpgthis view shows my XL 80 jeep next to the Diecast Masters version in 1/50th scale.

20210119_154548.jpgthis view shows my jeep with the gooseneck sitting on it and the 1/50th scale version bellow it.

20210119_154529.jpgthis view shows my 1/25th scale jeep and  gooseneck with Diecast Masters 1/50th scale version bellow it. Well that's it for now be back soon with more updates.

Ron G 

• Like 5

Hey all 

I did some work on my Peterbilt 359 heavy haul tractor. I made a new 28" diameter x 90" long 200 gallon fuel tank. I still need to do the passenger side tank.

20210122_165707.jpgthis view shows the tractor and the new tank.

20210122_165820.jpgthis view shows a closer look at the tank and steps. I made this from a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe that is 1.07" diameter.   I Wrapped some 0.03" plastic sheet around the pipe to make it 28" diameter. I cut up the original tank that came with the kit to use the parts on my new tank.

20210122_165104.jpgI put the whole thing together temporarily to show how big it is. YICKS!!! It's big! The excavator is a 1/32 scale Newray one and the booster/stinger is actually the dolly for my Michigan gravel train project. 

Ron G 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mark31 said:

this is a very nice project you are doing

brave man to scratch the trailer

Didt you just scaled up the diecast trailer or didt you find drawings for the trailer

:popcorn:

Mark

Hey Mark

Yes and no,  I actually have this drawn/modeled up on Cad in Unigraphics NX16. I also drew some scale plans on paper. I was a draftsman for near onto 35 years, then transitioned onto Cad, so the drawing comes easy, plus I've been modeling building since I was around 7 years old (I'm now 70)

Ron G 

• Like 2

I've been building military models for 45 years, but I'm brand new to truck modelling. My plan is to build a drop deck and I really appreciate the information and photos you've shared here. The material sizes are very helpful. As for your scratch building, it's the cleanest I've ever seen. Absolutely superb workmanship.

• Like 1