The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Building the Wingnut Wings Junkers D.I - Windsock Centenary WWI Modelling Special n.º 6 by Ray Rimell

Fran

• Administrators

Building the Wingnut Wings

JUNKERS D.I
By Ray Rimmel
WWI Modelling Special n.º 6

IMG_7827.JPG

Available in  http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/

The "Building the Wingnut Wings" series are already a mark and a must to all WnW models.

There were several titles already and all of then were and are a reference in the way you can build a WnW like a master.

This title is in the same editorial and design line as all others so you get lots of details and explicit text of how to do it all step of the build, accompanied with construction pics (which I would like that would be bigger) and some very nice detail shots of the real aircraft taken from various museum type.

The model in deep on the volume is the new Junkers D.I.

In fact, for what I read from modelers that already build this one, is that the D.I is probably the easiest model from WnW.

So let`s see what this book has to give us.

The cover is the Ray`s WnW D.I with some digital work on the back, showing the Ray`s great work and the D.I quality.

So, along 43 pages, Ray brings us six sections:

Part I – Inside the box;

Part II – Building the WnW Junkers D.I

Part III – Marty Digmayer`s Pull Out 1:32 scale Plans

Part IV – Harry Woodman`s Junkers Archive

Part V – The Sole Survivor

Part VI – Appendices & Dedication

The part I is an inbox review with pictures of the model sprues.

IMG_7828.JPG

The Part II, Ray described all the construction on this simple kit.

Some good information is given with illustrations of the elevator (from Practical Flying) that can be used for super detailing.

A special focus on detailing the engine Daimler-Mercedes180HP D.IIIa with the Taurus detail set and barracuda studios intake manifold. Some nice tips and some fantastic details pictures of the real thing.

IMG_7829.JPG

IMG_7830.JPG

IMG_7831.JPG

IMG_7832.JPG

IMG_7833.JPG

Finishing the chapter, some good tips to get a good camouflage result, paints used and 3 beautifully profiles.

Part IV are some very useful 1:32 Junkers D.I pull-out plans from Marty Digmasyer with starboard side view, underside view, plan view, front view and port side view.

IMG_7835.JPG

Part IV is for me, the main part of this manual with some fantastic historical pictures from Harry Woodman`s Junkers Archive. Some of them, is a great reference.

IMG_7836.JPG

Part 5 is a walkaround of the sole survivor in Le Grand Gallerie of the Musee de l`Air e I L`Espace at Le Bourget, France. While the lacking of armament and strange markings, it´s the only game in town.

The last but not the least, the part 6 is the dedication, more than deserved to Harry Woodman and the aftermarket accessories that give a good perspective of what you can buy to enhance your D.I.

IMG_7837.JPG

And to finish in high, some aeronautical engineering information and drawings of the D.I.

CONCLUSION:

The theme of the title was a surprise for me, mainly because of the subject and the model itself does not offer any particular difficulty to the modeler, being a perfect model to enter in the WnW Word.

However, the info inside, the plans, the 1:32 camouflage drawings and the technical info are super and a really add up to your build.

So if you want to get more info about the D.I that allows to add up the details on your model, just buy it. It’s well worth it.

Review copy compliments of Ray Rimell at Albatros Productions.

• Like 1