The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Masks from Artscale (Lancaster & Whirlwind)

• Administrators

1:48 Lancaster (HKM) and 1:32 Westland Whirlwind (Special Hobby) mask sets
Artscale

Available from Artscale (see article for codes, prices, links)

DSC02166.jpg

There's another player in town when it comes to mask choices. Like Eduard, ArtScale (also Czech-based), are using Kabuki paper for their new range, but from the outset, you can see there's a difference here. As well as producing beautifully cut masks, the sheets are also printed to help locate the individual parts. That printing also extends to grouping the parts too for extra clarity, as well as some occasional text thrown into the mix.

There is also of course a parts map supplied with helps you locate the mask parts within each group. For the Lanc, two sets are available. These are single-sided and double-sided.

1:48 Avro Lancaster B. Mk.I (single sided) (€12,90)

Single-sided means that the masks contain parts for only the canopy/turret exteriors. Even with that, there are a lot of parts to stick onto your model.

DSC02167.jpg

1:48 Avro Lancaster B. Mk.I (double-sided) (€17,20)

DSC02168.jpg

1:32 Westland Whirlwind F Mk.I (€7,80)

DSC02169.jpg

These are actually double-sided (although it doesn't state), including masks for both the interior and exterior of the canopy.

Conclusion
In all, these are great sets, and not too expensive either. I know if you have the Lanc, you will definitely want to use a set, and I really do recommend the one from ArtScale. Quality is everything we expect these days with crisp, sharp cutting, and I have to say I really like the extra printing on the sheets.

My sincere thanks to ArtScale for the samples you see reviewed here. To purchase direct, click the links in the article.

ask_logo.png