The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Windsock Worldwide Vol.29, No.4

James H

• Administrators

Windsock Worldwide Vol.29, No.4

Albatros Productions
Available from Albatros Productions for £7.60

cover.jpg

For a modeller who is a relative newcomer to Great War aviation, there is much to learn. New techniques and perhaps a few new extra skills to help enhance the overall building experience. For both my type of modeller, and the seasoned WW1 modeller, there can be no better and inspirational publication then the Windsock Worldwide, which is squarely aimed at helping us to better understand the genre, to learn about the era, and to better our modeling skills. Today we look at the very latest issue.

DSC02682.JPG

This very colourful edition, with a cover sporting a lozenge fabric design, and a seriously loud scheme for an American SE.5a, is emblazoned with the words 'WORLD WAR CENTENARY'. This July/August edition is released a the beginning of the 1 year run up to the 100yr anniversary of the advent of the Great War in 1914. It really is hard to believe, perhaps for a guy of my generation, that all the participants and protagonists are now long gone, with the memories of the hostilities now entirely faded out with respect to those who saw active service. It didn't seem long ago since I was a kid, and those same old soldiers were only perhaps the same age as my father is now. Truly sobering.

With the Great War now being consigned to just another chapter in the history books, the rise of WW1 aircraft modeling is quite a phenomenon, helped not in part by companies such as Wingnut Wings and Roden. For a good number of years, Windsock Worldwide has been helping WW1 modellers learn their craft, and it continues today, complete with the far wider arsenal of kits and aftermarket items available to us.

DSC02683.JPG

Opening with the usual Readers Gallery, we are treated to a selection of both static and flying model aircraft, from a 1:32 Junkers J.1, to flying models of a Martinside F.4 Buzzard, Bristol Boxkite and a BE2. For information junkies like myself, a round-up of the very latest titles pertaining to our genre is given in the 'Logbook Entries' section. Each of the 4 titles highlighted here is given a brief review, with purchasing information supplied.

If you are a regular reader of this title, then Lance Krieg will be a name you are familiar with. His 'Modelling Masterclass' section covers a whole six-and-a-half pages of fantastic modeling tips and tutorials, all presented with excellent colour photography. This month, Lance looks at the various finishes that are common to this era. These are:

• Simulating Plywood
  • Weathering
  • Timbers
  • Metals
  • Camouflage: disruptive multi-tone, aluminium doped, speckled, streaked and French 4/5 colour

DSC02684.JPG

A number of other paragraphs relating to finishes are also supplied, but non-scheme items. Lance's descriptions are concise and easy to read, and should at least give a reasonable grounding for you, and perhaps aid those questions you might have about how to finish a stick and string flying machine. This section is one of my favourites in Windsock Worldwide.

This month's featured aircraft is the relatively unknown SE4a. Well, if there was an SE5a, surely there must've been a forerunner! The SE4a was actually quite an attractive single engine fighter that started off with a large streamlined spinner (a'la Bullet), and looked a little like a cross between the Bullet, Nieuport fighter series, a Camel and an SE5a. Difficult to explain but I'm sure the images here will let you see what I mean. The type abandoned the large spinner of the prototype in favour of a familiar open fronted, rounded cowl, as fitted to the Pup, Camel etc. A brief history of the type is given, as well as 3 pages of excellent line drawings.

DSC02685.JPG

Following on from this, the subject of 'Great War Paint' is given over to the SE5a, inclusive of two pages of highly colourful profiles. If you thought every SE5a scheme was PC10, you're in for a shock to the system.

DSC02686.JPG

As I previously mentioned, there is now an abundance of new items released for WW1 modellers, each and every month, and Ray Rimell does a round-up here, under the 'On The Transfer List' section. Here, reviews of the very latest products are published, such as decals from Lifelike Decals, Old Propeller, Pheon, and a special feature on Aviattic's lozenge decal sheets, including a step-by-step, photographic guide in how to get the best out of these very different decal sheets. If you're in the market for Aviattic sets, then Ray's write-up is unmissable.

It's not all about decals. The very latest in kit releases is also examined, from the glorious, new 1:16 Sopwith Camel from Hasegawa to 1:48 kits from Roden, Eduard's new 1:72 skeletal Fokker Dr.1 triplane, and the most diminutive 1:144 releases from Brengun and Valom. All reviews are informative, and include sprue shots and purchasing detail.

DSC02687.JPG

Aftermarket accessories aren't forgotten, as we look at the latest releases from Taurus and HGW.

Next week, we will be publishing our review of the latest 1:32 figures from Wings Cockpit Figures. In this issue, Ray takes a look at these amazing, sculpted masterpieces. I warn you. Prepare for your wallet to take a hit. The figures are described in detail, as is the very latest release from Tommy's War.

'Rudder Post', aptly named, is the last section of Windsock Worldwide, and it deals with readers' letters, and responses from the editor.

Conclusion
Never a disappointment, this issue stays true to form with highly informative and innovative content, as well as that inclusion of historical content designed to expand our knowledge further. It's obvious that Ray Rimell puts a lot of effort into this publication, and for me, they are the one of the highlights of writing for SP&R. If you have ever thought about starting modeling in this genre, then you really cannot be without a copy of this being posted through your door.

Very highly recommended

Our sincere thanks to Albatros Publications for the review sample. To purchase directly, click HERE.

James H