Art Scale Kit 1:32 TBD-1 Devastator - Decal Sheets

Fran

• Administrators

1:32

Art Scale Kit

TBD-1 Devastator

Several Sheets

IMG_1505.JPG

Art Scale Kit (also known as ASK) is a model hobby shop but also a modelling tools producer, a resin 3D producer and also a Decal producer…

So It`s a name that is getting really quickly on the top of the modelling world and I`m lucky enough to have another bunch of decals for review.

Today, I´m going to review 5 (five) decal sheet from ASK.

All sets came in a ziplog bag, small A5 size sheet with profiles colors instructions steps how to apply ASK decals.

So let’s looks to the option schemes that all decal sheets offer.

But first, one detail that I loved about. In the applying instructions, in all sheets, theres`a real photo of one of the airplanes that are represented on the decal sheets. I really love that "bonus"

Douglas TBD-1 Devastator– part 1 – Battle of Midway – 4 June, 1942;

IMG_1509.JPG

Catalogue number200-D32083

Price: 12,00€

To order, click here.

This sheet have 6 options for the same schemes. It’s a fantastic historical schemes sheet to all Midway and WWII lovers.

1. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 0286,VT-3, pilot CAP W.G. Esders, Radio Operator/rear Gunner ARM2c B.Brazier, after shooting down Lt.Cdr. E.F. Lindsey Esders leads attack on aircraft carrier KAGA, the crew was killed in this action. Aircraft Carrier USS Yorktown.
  2. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 0279,VT-6, pilot Ens.E. Heck Jr., Radio Operator/rear Gunner ARM3c D.I.Richey, the only crew with returned from the attack on the Aircraft Carrier KAGA. Aircraft Carrier USS Enterprise. 
  3. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 0289,VT-6 pilot Lt Cdr. F.E. Lindsey, Radio Operator/rear Gunner ACRM C.T.Crenat.Richey, commander of attack on Aircraft Carrier KAGA, the crew was killed in this attack. Aircraft Carrier USS Enterprise.
  4. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 1506,VT-8, pilot Lt Cdr. J.C.Waldron, Radio Operator/rear Gunner ACRM H.F.Dobbs, commander of attack on Aircraft Carrier Soryu, the crew was killed in this action. Aircraft Carrier USS Hornet.
  5. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 1518,VT-8, pilot Ens.G.H.Gay., Radio Operator/rear Gunner ARM3c R.K.Huntington, Ens Gay was the only surviving member of VT-8 Squadron during the attack on the Aircraft Carrier Soryu. Aircraft Carrier USS Hornet.
  6. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 0308,VT-8, pilot Lt.J.D. Woodson, Radio Operator/rear Gunner ARM2c O.D.Creasy Jr., the crew was killed the attack on the Aircraft Carrier Soryu. Aircraft Carrier USS Hornet.

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

Despite having six options, you only get insignias for two planes.

IMG_1513.JPG

Douglas TBD-1 Devastator– part 2 – Kwajalein and Wake Island Battle of Midway – 4 June, 1942;

IMG_1528.JPG

Catalogue number200-D32084

Price: 12,00€

To order, click here.

So this sheet is not very different from the previous one but at least the schemes are a bit different and you also get only 3schemes (you only have insignias for two):

1. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 0294,VT-6, pilot Lt.R.E. Laub, Radio Operator/rear Gunner ARM1c W.C.Humphrey, crew took part in a bombing attack on the Wake Island. Aircraft Carrier USS Enterprise.
  2. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 0367,VT-6, pilot Ens.W.W Creamer, Radio Operator/rear Gunner RM3c W.F.Glenn, crew took part in a bombing attack on the Wake Island. Aircraft USS Carrier Enterprise.
  3.  Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 1505,VT-6, pilot Lt.D.M.White, Radio Operator/rear Gunner ARM2c J.U.Laney, crew took part in a torpedo attack on the Kwajalein Island. Aircraft Carrier USS Enterprise.

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

Douglas TBD-1 Devastator– part 3 – pre-war period 1940;

IMG_1522.JPG

Catalogue number200-D32085

Price: 18,30€

To order, click here.

Now, the pre-war schemes. At least for me, these schemes are much more appealing in the Devastator!!

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1524.JPG

1. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No.0294, VT-3, 3-T-14, Aircraft Carrier USS Saratoga, NAS North Island, San Diego, California, January 1938.
  2. Douglas TBD1 Devastator, Bu.No.0299, VS-71, 71-S-16, pilot Lt.B.V.Clark, Radio Operator/rear Gunner H.G.Bradshaw, Aircraft Carrier USS Wasp, Atlantic, 23.05.1941.
  3. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, VT-42, 42-T-16, Aircraft Carrier USS Ranger, NAS Norfolk, Virginia 1941.

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

The second scheme, pilot V Clark  and Radio-Operator Bradschaw, is my favorite with a black tail and yellow wings!

Douglas TBD-1 Devastator– part 4 – pre-war period 1940;

IMG_1514.JPG

Catalogue number200-D32086

Price: 18,30€

To order, click here.

This sheet is the most colorful one. All have very good nose arts and all tail are painted in bright color. Of all sheets, this, for me, is my favourite.

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

Here, like the others, there`s insignia for two planes.

1. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 0331, VT-5, g-T-7, Aircraft carrier USS Yorktown, NAS Norfolk, Viginia, 1938.
  2. Douglas TBD-1 Devastator, Bu.No. 0318, VT-6, 6-T-16, USS Enterprise, December 1940, Hawaii Islands, Pearl Harbor.
  3.  Douglas TBD1 Devastator, Bu.No. 0300, VT-2, 2-T-1, pilot commander VT-2 Lt.Cdr.W. Stinson, Aircraft Carrier Lexington, San Diego, California 1938.

IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

Douglas TBD-1 Devastator Stencils

IMG_1506.JPG

Catalogue number200-D32087

Price: 8,10€

To order, click here.

Now, the sheet that every modeler that have a Devastator in the stash must have. Stencils!

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

The stencils are very thin, with small decal film on the edge to prevent to maximum silvering and not blurry, being quite comprehensive.

Analyzing the decal sheets, the color registration is great and a very good definition of the details. The decals have a thin film, in fact looking very thin and delicate.

There is no indication where are they printed so I assume that will be in ASK house. The printing quality is quite good, as they are sharp, with outline very well defined. The color look quite good and spot on.

The instructions are the general ones that are applicable to all decals, it is always important to remember the general principles of decal application. In this case, there is no specific rule for applying these decals.

The profiles draws contains lots of information, with side view (both side) and top view with precise decal indication.

Conclusion:

ASK is a firm manufacture now when it comes to decals!

There`s a lot to choose from and always with great printing and fantastic color pigmentation.

The location indication of the decals is quite good and very perceptible.

The decals as already said, have a very good colour registration, very thin, with minimum decal film, and they work quite nice!

So all Devastator lovers must one at least one of these sheets.

My thanks to Art Scale for producing these fantastic decals.

ask_logo.png

Francisco Guedes

• Thanks 4