The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/35 M4A3 Sherman Tank

My Tamilya 1/35 US M4A3 Sherman MediumTank build thread!

117_zps2e964a50.jpg

First attempt at painting figures!!! Now that's tedious work!!

121_zpsf8910dd9.jpg

Scratch building a rolled up canvas cover and ditch logs for the side of the Sherman this morning!!

125_zps38cc2e20.jpg

Pretty pleased with my tissue based OD canvas roll. Should look cool attached to the Sherman's side. Also in the process of fashioning a few bed rolls for the crew.

EEC5692A-C4AD-4341-A222-082BA2A76B78_zps

Well my scratch built canvas canopy roll, bed rolls, ditch logs and 76mm high velocity gun came out pretty good if I must say so myself!!

4D6A3378-EB9D-4278-9362-7D127948DBF6_zps

2B53FF30-B60E-465D-93C8-9BD8D8AE22FC_zps

Scratch built 76mm high velocity gun mounted to the turret!
Also added armor plating on either side of the hull to protect ammo storage areas!

E8EAB6DC-8AF5-4703-8E48-60AE119E870F_zps

Before the paint shop crew went home for the evening they kindly primed the Sherman interior white since we'll be displaying it with figures. They also primed the gun.

0CBF0ACD-F570-452F-9EC4-775CE20D2923_zps

A little under the weather today so just a bit of progress on the Sherman. Completed three drive assembles and join the upper and lower hulls!

9D8A0812-5382-40B2-B242-1298CCFD830A_zps

• Like 2

Ralph,

Excellent job!  You have really become quite the prolific builder and your scratch building is top notch.

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. I'm enjoying all my new found skill sets. Scratch built a tent pole storage pod last night for the Sherman hull side!

037EAEA8-7FDC-4857-A455-1B9D0B24777D_zps

I know people dismiss Tamiya Shermans, but they're absolutely lovely kits that throw together very, very quickly. I built their M4 Early Production a few years ago and got through main assembly in a few hours. Definitely not up to Dragon or Tasca levels of detail, but it just builds so well.

As an FYI, the 76mm wasn't fitted to the standard Sherman turret (at least not that I've ever seen) but to the larger T23 turret. Don't let that stop you, just, info for the future!

Yea I realized that after I making the gun so decided to take "artistic license" and install it, lol!! Just looks better with the bigger gun!! You’re right about the kit, it is a dream to build and should look cool all detailed up.

This is my fourth armor kit and I have yet to expand my armor horizons to other manufactures chiefly due to the enjoyment I’ve found in building Tamiya armor. I just received a Tamiya Bradley with full interior I’m looking forward to building!! Any suggestions on that kit??