One-Oh-Four

Grumman F6F Hellcat

Volume I

SMI Library #09

Kagero

By Tomasz Szlagor & Leszek A. Wieliczko

You can get the book at www.kagero.eu for €15,67

image_1.jpg

This product line focuses on a specific aircraft or even a specific aircraft in specific surroundings with lots of photos, a set of decals and artwork of the subject of those decals.

The book contains 96 pages, 135 photos, 4 profiles and 4 decal options in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32.

image_2.jpg

I have a bit ambivalent feelings about this book. Don't get me wrong; the highlights are a lot of very nice photos that are printed quite large on the pages. The decals also look superb, being printed by Cartograf and some very attractive colour profiles.

image_4.jpg

image_8.jpg

I think the publishers wanted the book be too much different things. There is some bilingual English/Polish text under "Introduction" that races through the design, production and operational history of the type. Surprisingly, one of the few colour pages contains an advertisement for the Kagero shop.... I'd rather have seen something F6F related in that space...

image_3.jpg

image_6.jpg

The next page is indeed F6F-related but of very suspect useability; 5 smallish colour photos of an static display F6F warbird on an airshow under the rather grandiose title: "Grumman F6F Hellcat In Detail". 

image_7.jpg

I would have been very happy if the publishers had chosen this book to be a photo book where the photos and profiles with captions would have told the tale of the Hellcat because the large photos, decals and profiles are very much worth your while!

image_5.jpg

Conditionally Recommended because of the above mentioned drawbacks.

I'd like to thank Kagero for the review sample of the book.