The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

First time using lozenge decals, question on their use.

PAnderson

The kit says to place decals on a gloss finish. Does this mean the wings need to be painted? Or can I just spray them with a clear gloss coat. Do the wing colors show through the decals in any way?

Much obliged,

Paul

I have only used them once, and was a little apprehensive because of their size, so I sectioned them and applied that way. Had no problem except around the edges, where they are supposed to roll over. Weren't real noticeable but could have been better. Used a LOT of Micro Sol ( I know, the directions say hair dryer) but that is new to me so I digressed. Next time............... :rolleyes:

Thanks all. Yes, they are WNW decals for my Fokker DII.

Paul,

Who's Lozenge Decals are you using? If its WNW, you will need to paint a glossly finish. Either using a Gloss paint or Matt Paint with a Gloss varnish over the top

Dave? Thanks. Any tips on what color? If the decals are opaque, does it matter? Future? Tamiya clear acrylic?

Personally I use a Gloss White and then I don't need to shoot a varnish over it.

One thing is don't apply varnish or Future directly to the plastic as I have seen a problems with the decals playing up.

• Like 1

I have a question that relates to this.  How do you treat the wing edges with lozenge decals...?  I suppose I'm not sure what the junction between upper and lower lozenge was on the real thing?  Was there a tape (like the rib tapes) run over the join, did they meet dead centre of the leading edge or did one overlap the other?

It'd be great if someone could do a blow by blow of how this is done as I'm totally paranoid about it.....

Matt

Thanks George. I agree with George. These decals are beautiful and went on very well with the hair dryer method. I was shocked, really. For large area decals, this is the way to go. When it came time for the rib tapes, I used decal solution though. I tried the hair dryer for about 2 seconds when the small decals started to peel up and fly away, LOL. I didn't lose any though.I didn't think of slitting the end edges and had a little problem with wrinkles, not bad though. There is a decal that goes on the very end of each upper wing. I will rub the wrinkles down and apply these decals. Overall I am extremely happy with the way these decals went on. As usual, my fears were unfounded. I am glad I asked the question though. Questions unasked go unanswered.

Paul

• Like 1

Had some (well, a lot, actually) experience covering R/C aircraft with heat-shrink foils, so the hair-dryer and slitting method came naturally as soon that I learned from WnW that this was the way to go. Never tried the separate rib-tapes however, the DVII lozenge decal shown had the tapes printed on integrally. Very good to hear that the fears were unfounded. 

George

George, I am doing this same kit. Yet my instruction still call for adding rib tape detail to the wings. I will have to look at the instructions again. I thought the large decals had rib tape integral to the decal but I am just adding the rib tape decals anyway. I wonder if this is correct. Maybe some aircraft have different rib tape?

Paul

Hi Paul, I'm not sure about this. Looked in my manual ( of my Fok-fok DVII ) but I can't find any reference as to adding extra rib tapes to the wing decals. Perhaps in the Alb or OAW Fokkers this is different, I don't know. Maybe DaveJ can shed some light on this...?

George

Ahhhh, that was it. I am doing an Alb. Black Fokkers, Carl Degelow's bird. It also calls for decals on the wing tips that simulate a unit marking. I guess back then some aircraft had Uridium laced wing tip paint that made the wing tips glow in the dark for night flight recognition. I actually bought a small bottle of glow in the dark acrylic paint. I am going to do her up right, LOL.

Thanks for this.

Paul

Right, that solves it - Degelow's plane had pale rib tapes.

A Glow-In-The-Dark Fokker...? That's very interesting. Never heard of this before.

George

It was in one of the side notes in the instruction book. Aren't these books awesome?

Thank you George, Paul and Dave.

Your explanation is very reassuring George.  I'm assuming that this approach results in the upper wing lozenge slightly wrapping around the underneath of the wing.

Many thanks...

Matt