Jump to content
EVERYTHING UKRAINE GROUP BUILD IS NOW UNDERWAY.

sandbagger

Members
  • Posts

    781
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Reputation

3,602 Excellent

2 Followers

About sandbagger

  • Birthday 12/12/1949

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    https://mikesww1aircraftmodels.com

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Lincolnshire, UK

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Yes the Wingnut Wings kit (32001). It was one of the first four kits released back in 2009: 32001 1/32 Junkers J.1 32002 1/32 LVG C.VI 32003 1/32 SE.5a ‘Hisso’ 32004 1/32 Bristol F.2b Fighter Mike
  2. Hi all, My build of the RAF BE2c is complete, apart from its display case. So I thought I'd take a break from resin models and rigging. Therefore the next model will be the Junkers J.1 armoured ground attack aircraft. This particular aircraft is Serial No: 596/18 at Dessau airfield, Germany, in September 1918. Mike
  3. Hi all, Figures done. ‘Model Cellar’ British RFC pilot and gunner (MC32026). Painted using 'Tamiya' and 'AK Interactive' acrylics and 'Citadel' paints for the flesh. Once again many thanks for your comments and encouragement - most appreciated. I'll post the completed model once it's in its display case, Mike
  4. Hi all, The tail plane bracing wires added. Rudder control cables added. Propeller fitted. That's it for the aircraft. Now onto the figures, Mike
  5. Hi all, Elevator control cables rigged. Now onto the rudder, Mike
  6. Hi all, Bomb sight recovered from kit part with extras added from 0.3 mm diameter tube and 0.2 mm thick plastic sheet. Also the pitot tube added from 0.3 mm diameter tube (blackened). Just the elevator and rudder controls to add then it's onto the figures, Mike
  7. Hi all, A few more updates. Bombs and bomb control quadrant and cables added. Hand operated fuel pressure pump added. Engine exhausts with retaining frames added. Windscreens added. Upper wing straps added. Ammunition drum rack added. Pilot and observers machine guns added. The tail planes and elevators added. The fin and rudder added. Kit supplied 3D printed wing skids replaced with 0.6 mm diameter blackened Brass tube. The kit supplied CFS Mk.4 bomb sight has been binned. It was so frail it literally fell off in bits!! I'll need to make a representation of one instead. Also the propeller will be fitted (last). Finally the rudder and elevator controls and cables are still to be added. Mike
  8. Hi all, Landing gear and tail skid now done. I managed to twist and pull the axle metal rod from the axle fairing. This was replaced with a brass rod, which was longer to fit deeper into the wheels. The axle retainer discs for the bungee suspension cords were cut from 0.2 mm thick plastic card with a central hole to fit onto the axle rod. The axle assembly was held into the 'V' struts with CA adhesive, backed up with 0.2 mm diameter annealed copper wire. The bungee cord, represented by 'EZ' line White (heavy), was then wrapped across and around the axle ends, between the retainer discs. The model now needs to be held by the fuselage. Therefore, before adding the elevator and rudder controls and wires, I'll need to fit the remaining parts to the forward fuselage. Mike
  9. Yes, that's about the only way. I'm thinking using copper wire for support then follow with representing the bungee cord over that. I think lead wire may be too weak, Mike
  10. Hi all, The kit supplied landing gear comprises two ‘V’ struts and the axle/fairing. The axle is intended to be glued to the bottom of the two ‘V’ struts. However, there is nothing to retain the axle at the bottom of the struts, except the CA adhesive under the axle and onto the bottom of the struts. The weight of the model bearing down on the axle and wheels with only the CA adhesive taking the weight is a joint failure waiting to happen. Therefore this needs to be addressed. Also the ’bungee’ suspension cords are retained between two discs on the ends of the axle, which are not represented in the kit. Finally the internal strengthening rod within the axle protrudes from either end for mounting the wheels. However, the protrusions do not go far enough into the wheels, which is another weak point. Onward, upward, Mike
  11. Hi all, The aileron control line have now been rigged. It's difficult to make out on the photographs as it's a larger models to focus on. Next up is the landing gear before I move onto the rudder and elevator controls, Mike
  12. Hmmmm - not him - his rigging is not aligned in some areas 😆 Mike
  13. Hi all, The wings are now fully rigged. This includes twin flying wires, single landing wires, incidence wires, wing brace wires, drag wires and cabane strut cross and fuselage bracing wing wires. I've yet to airbrush the rigging to knock back the shine.. Next up is fitting and rigging the landing gear so as to lift the wings and prevent contact damage to the aileron controls (when fitted). Then it'll be ailerons, rudder, elevator and their control line rigging. Mike
  14. Hi all, Tricky to fit but now the pre-rigged upper wing has been fitted. I've kept the temporary elastic bands over the wings. This is to keep them the wings restrained until the rigging is done. The solid lower wings can flex slightly on their locating rods, which can cause the strut joints to separate. Now onto the final rigging, Mike
  15. Hi all, The pre-rigging is done. The aileron, rudder and elevator control rigging will be fitted after the wings have been fitted and final rigged. That way the exposed control lines have less chance of being damaged during handling. Also the landing gear and rigging will be fitted later, Mike
×
×
  • Create New...