Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Bf 109E-1

Artful69

Hi all ...

I have it on good authority that the only noticable difference between a Messerschmitt Bf109E-1 and E-3 is that of the wing armament (MG's vs FF's) ... and the resulting changes to the underside paneling and wing shape.

With this in mind ... I am going to attempt a little dabbling in the intracate art of re-shaping!!

I liked the idea of the Eduard Profimodeler E-1 (especially colours and marking options!) ... but the whole fit and finish issue (especially with the cowl) frightens me! ... So call me a coward, but I have purchased a Cyber Hobby 1/32 Bf109E-3 ... and intend to develop a couple of little here-to-fore unused (for me) modeling skills.

The idea is simple ... cut. sand, fill and rescribe rivets/panels on the underwing areas of the Cyber Hobby kit to resemble an E-1 ... use a bit of brass tubing (wings) along with some Master MG-17's (cowl) ... and finaly some decals pinched from one of my E-4 kits - to create the same marking option that I like from the Eduard E-1 kit!!

However ... I need some help ... please? ... a nice clear photo of the relevant area of the E-1 wing underside (from an Eduard E-1 kit should be suffice!!) ...

Thanks in advance

Rog :)

Hey Rog,

Here are shots of the bottom wings of my Eduard 109 E-1.

I will be anxious to see how your build of the Cybermodeler 109 goes. I have one in my stash, and it is near the top of my to-do list. The Eduard kit builds up into a beautiful model (I have also included a shot of the finished product) but there are some challenging fit issues (ESPECIALLY the cowl!).

Good Luck!

Ed

20130827_171858_zpse35d8bfe.jpg

20130827_171843_zps8c64c9d5.jpg

20130827_171951_zps0da0a035.jpg

Hey Rog,

Here are shots of the bottom wings of my Eduard 109 E-1.

I will be anxious to see how your build of the Cybermodeler 109 goes. I have one in my stash, and it is near the top of my to-do list. The Eduard kit builds up into a beautiful model (I have also included a shot of the finished product) but there are some challenging fit issues (ESPECIALLY the cowl!).

Good Luck!

Ed

Hey Ed :) ... nice work!!! ... thank you very much for the photos!!

I have received mixed advice in regards to my project (from other forums) ... a lot of people are suggesting to stick with the Eduard kit as there are some fit issues with the Cyber Hobby cowl also. I find this weird as the only fit issue I experienced (building an E-4) was that of sliding the cover over the MG-17s?!? ... Anyway - apparently - the issue with the Eduard kit isn't too hard to remedy?!?

So that is the only real sticking point for me ... The cost factor is not much of an issue ... Cyber Hobby kit + eduard cockpit PE = (approx) Eduard Profi E-1 ... and I like the wheel wells of the CH kit more.

Rog :)

• Like 1

Hey Rog,

It's been a couple of years since I built the Eduard 109, but I THINK I went into the build already aware of the cowl problem, based on an online build review. If I remember correctly, I used a stub of sprue to spread the cowl out a bit and get it to seat over the engine block piece (which you have to use if building the kit with the cowl in place; it won't fit over the complete engine supplied with the kit). I still had to use a bit of Mr. Surfacer to smooth things out, but it wasn't a major issue.

But, that aside, I don't recall any major issues with the kit; I think it all fell together rather well after that. I have read the Cybermodeler kit is a much more pleasant build overall, though. And, yes, the detail in the wheel wells of the CH kit is superb.

Regards,

Ed