The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

paint question

lawman56

Hi all,

I've noticed quite a wide range of types and manufacturers on here when it comes to paint. I've never had any luck with acrylics, so unless I'm creating a wash, I stay away from them. I love Humbrol, but hate the little tins. They dry up much too fast. I'm quite pleased with Model Master, and am disappointed at the discontinuation of Floquil. I'm a firm believer in using what you're comfortable with, but have noticed quite a few folks on here using Mr. Surfacer. 

What, exactly, is it? I know it's a primer, but is it a self leveling primer good for use with all paints? Does it come in various thicknesses? I'm thinking, (within the next year), of trying my hand at some limited run kits, and from what I've read, they may have minor seam/fit issues at times. That's usually where I see Mr. Surfacer mentioned.  

I know that some paints and chemicals aren't available in every country, but I live in the US, so I don't think it would be an issue.

Any pointers or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Matt,

Ironic that you would be my first answer, considering I was reading through your blog when the thought hit me.

I've been thinking it would be good to try for some minor surface blemishes, etc...never thought of using the thicker stuff as a form of stippling.

Even thought the 500 might work to create linen texture for WWI aircraft or WWII rudders, flaps, etc...

I'll have to try it out.