Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

On 6/15/2024 at 1:41 PM, Jeff said:

Ok. Here is a tid bit I will toss in for anyone who doesn’t get the spring brake thing. As you know last week Cathy and I went to Ontario (CFB North Bay) to attend our daughter in law’s promotion ceremony. Of course we stayed with them and they have a couple dogs….( I am going somewhere here. Bear with me ) and I went out side to see one of them playing with a ‘frisby’… this ‘frisby’ turned out to be none other than a Type 30 spring brake diaphragm. This is inside the spring brake chamber that traps the air so the spring brakes ( park brakes) can be applied or released. The basic concept is air over spring. The air pushes against this rubber diaphragm which compresses the spring to release the spring brakes. And to apply the brakes for parking when the parking valve on the dash is pulled , releases the air and the spring unloads, pushing on the push rod which turns a shaft that is connected inside the brake drum to an ‘S’ cam where there are rollers on the brake shoes and internal springs which apply the brakes. And to release the ‘park brake’ the driver pushes yellow button on the dash , which applies air to the diaphragm in the spring brake chamber which in turn pushes against the main spring and reverses the former process to release the park brake

IMG_4244.jpeg

IMG_4243.jpeg

IMG_4245.jpeg

That’s not a diaphragm that’s a “Pancake” lol. Well that’s what us old School truckers like me call it. I’ve changed a many of those have to cam the brake chamber or that front part of it will be like a rocket if you unbolt it without cam first. This has killed many truckers and mechanics that were inexperienced  changing these. Jeff great progress on the truck seated in the front  row. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lee Drennen said:

That’s not a diaphragm that’s a “Pancake” lol. Well that’s what us old School truckers like me call it. I’ve changed a many of those have to cam the brake chamber or that front part of it will be like a rocket if you unbolt it without cam first. This has killed many truckers and mechanics that were inexperienced  changing these. Jeff great progress on the truck seated in the front  row. 

Thanks Lee and yeah I have heard it called that as well. And yes we were always warned NOT to touch any bolts on the spring brake chambers other than maybe the caging bolts and even then they didn’t want us messing with it as they were concerned that guys would start taking the wrong bolts and the spring would release. They are like a bomb. And when we saw a rusty one on a truck driving down the road we were always told to stay well back in case the chamber let go and that spring released. That was usually on our air brake refresher courses. And yes they did kill a lot of guys who were unaware or forgot. The big deal was if we had a broken spring, a lot of guys thought they were then harmless. And some found out they were not and as you well know the results were not good. Thanks for your input amd kind comments …

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KevinM said:

That is really Nice Jeff "luv it":unworthy::popcorn:

Thanks Kevin. Sadly all the filters will not be seen as the engine sits fairly low in the frame rails, but I know they are there. Hopefully will be able to do the install soon.  Thanks for stopping by. 

• Like 2

Ok. It’s in. But talk about ‘shoe horning ‘ it in…. a very snug fit. And took a little finesse to get it in place with out breaking some of the fine fittings that are no longer visible. If I were to do this one again I think I would shave a little material off the lower channel of thew frame. No kne would even notice and kt would give a little more wiggle room. All the detail on the fuel and oil filters and lines are lost but I know it is there. Still a way to go yet but it is progression 

IMG_4641.jpeg

IMG_4642.jpeg

IMG_4640.jpeg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Ok. It’s in. But talk about ‘shoe horning ‘ it in…. a very snug fit. And took a little finesse to get it in place with out breaking some of the fine fittings that are no longer visible. If I were to do this one again I think I would shave a little material off the lower channel of thew frame. No kne would even notice and kt would give a little more wiggle room. All the detail on the fuel and oil filters and lines are lost but I know it is there. Still a way to go yet but it is progression 

IMG_4641.jpeg

IMG_4642.jpeg

IMG_4640.jpeg

That looks sweet Jeff glad you got it beat into submission 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lee Drennen said:

That looks sweet Jeff glad you got it beat into submission 

Thanks Lee. Sorry for such crappy pictures. And for me hind sight is always 20/20. It is huge milestone. 

Jeff

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Thanks Lee. Sorry for such crappy pictures. And for me hind sight is always 20/20. It is huge milestone. 

Jeff

Jeff where would you post this when your finished with it? I’m kinda confused  where to post the finished Trucks. Thanks 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lee Drennen said:

Jeff where would you post this when your finished with it? I’m kinda confused  where to post the finished Trucks. Thanks 

They were actually going to get a dedicated area for cars and trucks, but it looks like it hasn't happened quite yet, I guess we need to lobby the Management for it to happen... I also posted my finished Autocar on this post site  if you haven't seen it may have to scroll a bit.... I have just been posting here for now until the Mods get a new spot for us, and maybe they will move all of this to that 'spot'.....

• Thanks 1