Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Bloodhound Mk II missile

I'd always wanted one of these as I've stood at the very base of the Bloodhound at RAAF Base Point Cook many times and it still impresses me, so when I spotted it at the local toy store I pulled the trigger, thinking hey it would be an easy weekend build. Hahaha no, it took a lot of Mr Surfacer 500 and elbow grease on both the launcher and the missile itself to get it decent. I had an old trophy base laying around and knocked up a little something for it to sit on. I left the missile pretty clean, pictures in service show them nice and white and besides I think they look mean being nice and clean. Decals came from the spares box, they are perhaps a little big but I do have a picture of a missile with larger roundels. 

Overall I'm pretty happy with how this turned out and really think Airfix should invest in a new mold one as this is very long in the tooth and the molds are showing it, I'm sure it would be a big seller.

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

• Like 4

Wowsers thats a real blast from the past . Nice job on an old dog of a missile👍

....see what I did there ?

Sort of think you'd expect Takom may end up re releasing . 

The army had a very similar missile -they called it Thunderbird , here's one on display near where I used to live  - without the boosters , looks like an overgrown Firestreak . The Virago is 1:1 for scale . 

temp-Imagel-BCEGL.avif

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BradG said:

A larger missile would be even better, maybe 1/35?

Would be better - 9 inches or so long . Here's one to hunt for - 1961 1/24 Frog kit 🤣

temp-Imagel-HHN1-K.avif

Kit Form Services in the UK make one as well . Price though at £270 , they were shutting down but in the end sold the business on last year i believe. 

https://kitformservices.com/products/bac-bloodhound-mk2-1-24th-scale-tq229

temp-Imagej-Pf-F3-D.avif

• Like 3

@PanzerWomble Damn I didn't even know that Frog kit existed, hell I showed that to dad and he had not even seen it and he grew up building Frog! As for the other kit, 270 quid is a little beyond my budget, but it does look nice.

• Like 1