The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Military aircraft spotting in Virginia

One-Oh-Four

Hi guys,

Next August I plan on taking my summer vacation with my family in Virginia and visit the IPMS USA Nationals too.

I'd really like to go to Langley AFB and NAS Oceana too, to photograph the aircraft taking off / coming in to land.

Do any of the US citizens here on the boards have tips on what I can and cannot do? I'd rather have no brushes with the law, but since I can do these things without problems in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Austria for example AND don't look like Jihadi material ;) I'd think (hope) that it wouldn't be too much of a problem...?

Cheers,

Erik.

Hi guys,

Next August I plan on taking my summer vacation with my family in Virginia and visit the IPMS USA Nationals too.

I'd really like to go to Langley AFB and NAS Oceana too, to photograph the aircraft taking off / coming in to land.

Do any of the US citizens here on the boards have tips on what I can and cannot do? I'd rather have no brushes with the law, but since I can do these things without problems in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Austria for example AND don't look like Jihadi material ;) I'd think (hope) that it wouldn't be too much of a problem...?

Cheers,

Erik.

Langley AFB

Oceana NAS Tour

How long will you be staying in VA/US?

Rick, I'll be in Virginia for 2,5 weeks. One week in Virginia Beach/Hampton/Norfolk, one week near the Blue Ridge mountains / Civil war sites like Manassas and a couple of days in Washington to see the sites there *cough* NASM!!!!! *cough*........

Guysie; thanks for the pointer!

Rick, I'll be in Virginia for 2,5 weeks. One week in Virginia Beach/Hampton/Norfolk, one week near the Blue Ridge mountains / Civil war sites like Manassas and a couple of days in Washington to see the sites there *cough* NASM!!!!! *cough*........

If you are in Washington,don't forget the Smithsonian Air Museum.

Also don't miss the NASM Udvar-Hazy museum in Virginia, much bigger museum about 30-45 mins from the city. There you can see stuff like Space Shuttle Discovery, SR-71, Concorde, B-29 Enola Gay, Dornier Pfeil, F-4 Phantom, F-86, P-38, Hurricane, and more.

better check that cough Erik!

Also don't miss the NASM Udvar-Hazy museum in Virginia, much bigger museum about 30-45 mins from the city. There you can see stuff like Space Shuttle Discovery, SR-71, Concorde, B-29 Enola Gay, Dornier Pfeil, F-4 Phantom, F-86, P-38, Hurricane, and more.

Also on the list! As well as the USS Missouri, Manassas and a whole other bunch of things to see!

If you're into the American Civil War, there's also Winchester Virginia, Manassas Virginia, Appomatox Courthouse (which is just East of the Blue Ridge), and a whole bunch of other minor battle sites in Virginia.  There's not much left of the Fredericksburg Battlefield but last I knew there was a small piece of the stone wall that sheltered the Confederate army as they massacred the Federal troops as they advanced across the open field.  If you travel North along the blue ridge, you'll find Antietam battlefield in Sharpsburg, Maryland and if you go just a few more miles North into Pennsylvania, you'll find the greatest battlefield of the Civil War, Gettysburg, Pa. 

Hmmmm, you don't have to be jealous.... Do you know how much it costs to fly 4 persons to the US of A? In the holiday season, I might add..... :)

BTW, Rick, e-mail is answered!

I gave up on airfares,nasty things,I emigrated to Canada.Airfairs are much cheaper.

And the Skyline Trail over the Shennandoah Valley is stunning.

If you're into the American Civil War, there's also Winchester Virginia, Manassas Virginia, Appomatox Courthouse (which is just East of the Blue Ridge), and a whole bunch of other minor battle sites in Virginia.  There's not much left of the Fredericksburg Battlefield but last I knew there was a small piece of the stone wall that sheltered the Confederate army as they massacred the Federal troops as they advanced across the open field.  If you travel North along the blue ridge, you'll find Antietam battlefield in Sharpsburg, Maryland and if you go just a few more miles North into Pennsylvania, you'll find the greatest battlefield of the Civil War, Gettysburg, Pa. 

Absolutely recommendable!! I've visited the US for 13 years in a row now, and this is very, very interesting!