The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Cockpit painting technique?

GusMac

Hi all, I have a memory that someone fairly recently posted a nice little review of their cockpit painting technique in their work in progress. I didn't think to bookmark it at the time and now I can't find it despite a number of searches. Would anyone happen to remember where it was located? 

Thanks

Gus

If I remember correctly it was a Bf 109 but I can't remember if it was the E, F or K, all of which have been popular on here recently. 

I'm just looking for some ideas before I start my Mig-23, but given it's in the old Soviet Barf Turquoise I'm not sure anything too subtle would be visible anyway.

Thanks

Gus

• Administrators

I might be able to help with some images of a Bf 109E I built a long time ago. Perhaps these are the ones?

STAGE 1: Paint the interior using the regular base coat colour. In this care, RLM02

DSC06903.jpg

STAGE 2: Mix a little black into the base colour and airbrush around the corners and edges of the various parts. Next, add a little white to some new base colour, and airbrush the centres of the open areas. Thin your paints a little more than you would with your first base colour.

DSC06906.jpg

STAGE 3: Using a more heavily diluted base coat, mist over the parts and subtly blend them together.

DSC06908.jpg

DSC06910.jpg

STAGE 4: Paint and wash your cockpit as normal

DSC06918.jpg

Does this help?

• Like 2

Thanks James. That is very useful. Everything is an adventure at the moment as this is my first full build since purchasing an airbrush. It's always hard to judge just how far to push the shading before it looks unrealistic.

This is what I love about this forum - all queries or requests get helpful, considered responses.

Gus