The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Which is the best F-16?

James H

• Administrators

Hi folks,

In the wake of the brutal murder of the Jordanian fighter pilot, Moaz al-Kasasbeh, I've taken a reinvigorated look at the F-16.

This is one of the few modern(ish) jet fighters that I actually quite like.

My plan is to either build one of these in the colours al-Kasasbeh's machine, or one of those that are avenging his murder.

I don't think there has been a better time to try this and build something in the honour of this fallen airman. 

My questions are:

• What is the likely variant of F-16 used?
  • What is the best kit to depict it?
  • are there any decal sets for Jordanian machines?

Over to you, and thanks for hearing me out on this one.

• Like 3

Shit, lost my original reply :(

- Jordan uses the F-16AM and -BM. That is the MidLife Update of the F-16A/B Block-15 that brought it's capability up to roughly F-16C/D Block-50/52 level. They acquired a number of them from Belgium and the Netherlands.

* The aircraft has the "bird-slicer" IFF-antennas in front of the canopy

* Small intake and Pratt & Whitney- engine

* Small F-16A tailfin

* Infrared Nav-pod & laser designator pod (don't know if they use them together in 1 pod or if they have separate pods)

* LAU-129 (?) wingtip launchers, capable of carrying AMRAAM's

* capability to carry LGB's and JDAM's

* Most likely fitted with the reinforcing plates on the fuselage in front of the fin and on the wing-roots.

* Original "skinny" landing gear.

- In 1/32nd there is no F-16AM available. The best option is to use the Tamiya Thunderbird boxing as this boxing depicts the F-16C Block-32 and provides you with the correct P&W exhaust, "small-mouth"-intake and landing gear. You would need to purchase the resin F-16AM tailfin from PWMP and fair it in on the fuselage. Some panellines will need altering. The cockpit can be used as in the box.

It is easier to convert the Tamiya F-16C Block-32 to an F-16AM than modify Hasegawa's F-16A Block-15 to MLU standard. The same goes for 1/48, but there you've also got Kinetic with some boxings of the MLU F-16. Eduard even reboxed it as one of their own kits. Even so, the Tamiya F-16 is regarded as the better model. In 1/48 it is marketed as a Block-32 agressor too, BTW.

I have no idea if there are Jordanian decals, but Arab roundels often seem very similar, as seem their fin-flashes.

This is a quick-and-dirty answer from the top of my head as I'm not in the vicinity of my books at the moment!

• Like 4

Shit, lost my original reply :(

- Jordan uses the F-16AM and -BM. That is the MidLife Update of the F-16A/B Block-15 that brought it's capability up to roughly F-16C/D Block-50/52 level. They acquired a number of them from Belgium and the Netherlands.

* The aircraft has the "bird-slicer" IFF-antennas in front of the canopy

* Small intake and Pratt & Whitney- engine

* Small F-16A tailfin

* Infrared Nav-pod & laser designator pod (don't know if they use them together in 1 pod or if they have separate pods)

* LAU-129 (?) wingtip launchers, capable of carrying AMRAAM's

* capability to carry LGB's and JDAM's

* Most likely fitted with the reinforcing plates on the fuselage in front of the fin and on the wing-roots.

* Original "skinny" landing gear.

- In 1/32nd there is no F-16AM available. The best option is to use the Tamiya Thunderbird boxing as this boxing depicts the F-16C Block-32 and provides you with the correct P&W exhaust, "small-mouth"-intake and landing gear. You would need to purchase the resin F-16AM tailfin from PWMP and fair it in on the fuselage. Some panellines will need altering. The cockpit can be used as in the box.

It is easier to convert the Tamiya F-16C Block-32 to an F-16AM than modify Hasegawa's F-16A Block-15 to MLU standard. The same goes for 1/48, but there you've also got Kinetic with some boxings of the MLU F-16. Eduard even reboxed it as one of their own kits. Even so, the Tamiya F-16 is regarded as the better model. In 1/48 it is marketed as a Block-32 agressor too, BTW.

I have no idea if there are Jordanian decals, but Arab roundels often seem very similar, as seem their fin-flashes.

This is a quick-and-dirty answer from the top of my head as I'm not in the vicinity of my books at the moment!

Erik is there a good review out there on the Tamiya Thunderbird F-16C Block-32? I would love to build my first Tamiya aircraft and this looks interesting!

Ralph.

The Tamiya F-16 Thunderbirds is not the easiest to find those days, surely in 1/32.

But as Eric said it's the best to made an early block / MLU version.

If you want a B, then buy the Sufa from Academy.

Cheers,

Jamme

Erik is there a good review out there on the Tamiya Thunderbird F-16C Block-32? I would love to build my first Tamiya aircraft and this looks interesting!

Ralph.

Here's some info on all 1/32 F-16 kits:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/reviews.php?scale=1%3A32&topic=General+Dynamics+F-16+Fighting+Falcon

The Tamiya F-16 Thunderbirds is not the easiest to find those days, surely in 1/32.

But as Eric said it's the best to made an early block / MLU version.

If you want a B, then buy the Sufa from Academy.

Cheers,

Jamme

Jamme is right. I totally forgot about the Academy 1/32 F-16C. If the Block-32 Thunderbirds-boxing can't be found, you can also turn to the Academy 1/32 F-16CG. The Tamiya F-16 is widely regarded as having a more accurate shape. The Academy kit is basically an F-16C Block-40 but it also contains the small mouth intake and P&W exhaust. be sure to use the non-bulged main gear doors, though, as these were used on the "skinny" geared F-16's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...