Jump to content
The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soviet T-72 accident in former Czechoslovakia 1991


Recommended Posts

it happened on January day in 1991 in Bohosudov near Teplice (North Bohemia), where the Soviet 280th Mechanized Infantry Regiment was stationed – the T-72A tank was assigned to it. What allegedly happened (according to the military investigators) was that the day before, because of some sort of electric shortcut, the device, used to pre-warm the fuel before use, started burning. The fire was only minor and neither the automatic fire extinguishing system of the T-72A nor the crew caught it. Oblivious to the danger, they parked the vehicle in the garage, switched the electrics off and left (by which they unfortunately also switched off the fire extinguishing system). In the meanwhile, the fire did spread slowly and the guards noticed the smoke in early morning hours of 9.1.1991. The crew pulled the tank out on open space before the garage and started to fight the fire. Unfortunately, it was freezing and the water, stored for extinguishing, froze and there was only sand left. Despite the efforts of the soldiers to extinguish the fire with the sand, they failed. One smaller explosion rocked the vehicle and a short while later, second major explosion tore it to pieces.

In the explosion the tank was practically annihilated. Shards of armor were found as far as 700 meters from the explosion site. When it exploded, the tank carried 7 rounds of HEAT ammunition, 14 rounds of AP incendiary ammunition and 8 rounds of HE ammunition for the 125mm gun. Furthermore, 2500 7,62mm rounds and 800 12,7mm rounds were on board as well. The explosion itself however was caused by only three of the 125mm rounds exploding within.

At first, the Soviets tried to cover up the entire incident – this was however made impossible because of the extent of damage and the number of witnesses. The story eventually even made it to the main Czechoslovak news – and from there, to European newspapers. Soviets only officially confirmed three dead soldiers, but at the same time, they ordered 14 coffins from the local manufacturer, so the Czech investigator and pyrotechnician, Cpt.Bilický (ret.) believed the actual number of dead soldiers was more like 17-20, although some witnesses claim there were as many as 40 dead in the incident. What was confirmed later was that three of the dead were officers. The Soviet unit, involved in the incident, moved out of Czechoslovakia 6 months later.







Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...