The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Converting the Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IXc to Mk.Vc trop - feasibility?

repeater

All, any thoughts/advice on converting the Tamiya IXc to a Vc (trop)? Has anyone done this?

Given the earliest actual IXc's were converted from Mk V airframes this makes logical sense however the biggest challenge in kit form would be shortening the nose. (the mk V with Merlin 45 engine had a shorter nose).

Any advice on how to make this work? (and actually look correct!)

Options

- grafting the hobbyboss (or Hasegawa) Mk. Vb trop nose

- cutting/shortening the tamiya cowling parts (and sorting out a trop filter, exhausts, 3 blade prop & spinner etc)

- other??

Lots of other changes required of course.. but, to me, the complex bit would be shortening the nose and getting everything to align.

Doable? Or should I pray to Tamiya for a Vc kit instead...

It would be less work to convert the Hobby Boss or Hasegawa Vb kits.. but that wouldn't be the point..

cheers, Tim

[edited previous post where I got stuff wrong about the wings]

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html/2

someone has already tried this with the Hobbyboss kit (I have written a fairly extensive review of this if you search old Scale Plastic and Rail site)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940366-81-sqn-spitfire-vc-trop-132-hobbyboss-vb-trop-conversion/

they used Grey Matter Figures Vc wings - I have seen some of their wing sets in the flesh; if memory serves they are ok but not up to Tamiya standards, so it depends on what you are after

mating them with the hobbyboss kit may be the best option??

adventurous project to be sure!

• Like 1

Guest Kagemusha

It is doable, and easier with the Tamiya Mk IX than say the Hobbyboss imho, if you get the Revell Spifire I/II (kit no. 04715) you can build that as an early Spitfire, and it will also provide you with the extra parts, left over from when Hasegawa originally released it as a Vb, such as props, spinners, and trop intake, depending which Vc you want to build, I got hold of the starboard oil cooler parts, including lower wing, from the new Revell IIa (03986)  you can find the parts via their instruction web page http://www.revell.com/support/instructions.html  then contact Annette Mortimer; amortimer@revell.de, just say you lost them and ask how much, you may have to pay a nominal amount, you may get them free. Quickboost also make a spinner for the Hobbyboss kit which will fit and is a little different in shape and size from the Hasegawa/Revell options, I think you need the Quickboost exhausts for the Hobbyboss kit, they also produce one for the Hasegawa, which I seem to recall is too short.

I haven't done the conversion yet, and did think about putting the Hasegawa nose on the Tamiya fuselage, but you loose all that lovely detail, so cutting down the Tamiya cowl parts is the way I'm going to go, and if you've got more than one Tamiya Spitfire you can use the other as a template on where to cut, just mark out over the top of the other the correct distance in keeping the top of the side panel aligned, if that makes sense.

The rake of the main undercarriage was changed from the Vb to the Vc, so that's another plus for using the Tamiya kit.

I have an old Hasegawa Vb nose for just such a conversation if I ever find a cheap Tamiya IX. I've offered it up and it's a decent match. I think the Hobbyboss spit has the wrong cross section to the top cowling so might not match up. Suprised Alleycat or similar haven't offered it as a conversation, could do alsorts like a Mk XII or Seafire family.

• Like 1

Thanks both! brilliant -thanks for the info.

I hadn't considered the Revell kit as a donor parts.

I'm keen to use the Tamiya kit as the starting point.

Oh will be one for the Spitfire GB here .. hopefully starting reasonably soon :)

Tim

Thanks nmayhew and kagemusha for the info and advice.

Thanks Benjamin.. That`s good to know. Glad the Hasegawa nose looks like a reasonable fit. Yeh it seems the hobbyboss spit nose could be too flat!?

Hmm.. Ok. Plan A. I`ll try shortening the Tamiya cowling first. Plan B: hasegawa nose.

Cheers Cees. Hopefully I can do it justice!

• Like 1

Be carefull with fitting Grey Matter resin nosesection as the Hasegawa fueltankcover is too squarish and the resin parts are more accurate. Be prepared to do a lot of .....work.

Cees

• Like 1

Would love to attempt a Mk XII conversion one day - not sure if Tamiya will ever do a Griffon powered 1/32, but can hold out and hope!

XII is my personal favourite, still has the grace of the original design but the Griffon power!! Might have a go if I ever find a cheap enough Tamiya Mk IX.

• Like 2

XII is my personal favourite, still has the grace of the original design but the Griffon power!! Might have a go if I ever find a cheap enough Tamiya Mk IX.

Mine too - and indeed Eric Brown and Jeffrey Quill's favourite marque. Mk IX is the only Tamiya Spit I dont have...mmmm

Id only want to do it in-flight, so all buttoned up no engine showing would be the go

• Like 1