Jump to content

Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

Wingco57

Moderators
  • Content Count

    3,564
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

3,254 Excellent

1 Follower

About Wingco57

  • Rank
    Admin
  • Birthday 08/11/1966

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://Www.arg1940-1945.nl

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    No longer below waterlevel!
  • Interests
    Piston engined aircraft with WWII in particular. Huge fan of RAF Bomber Command and Halifax as speciality.

Recent Profile Visitors

3,017 profile views
  1. In the end I used telephonewire, the ends of which are difficult to get a neat effect but it will have to make do. I gave them a coat of mr surfacer 1000 which evened out things a bit. Not entirely satisfied but that’s life. A coat of black paint will make them look better.
  2. No it isn’t, just a bit of aanklooien. Made a start at fabricating the landing lights set up in the leading edge. No detailpics or drawing so will have to do some guesswork based on similar set ups in contemporary RAF aircraft. And about those gaiters, the drawing and the undercarriage leg. Any idea how to make those ridges? I tried thin metal wire but that was too stiff, leadwire or knicker elastic perhaps? Anyone?
  3. Hi Neil, I almost got burned out from this build but your Halifax magnum opus really refuelled my motivation. As a change to filling craters between the wings and nacelles, I decided to tackle the wheels and the way they are fitted to the undercarriage legs. To avoid the spaying out and cracking of the legs I cut off the overscale mountings. Drilling holes makes it possible to fit the wheels after painting without damage with a horizontal axle just like the real thing. I plan to make the gaiters as they are true to the Manchester. The prototype wheels will be sanded smooth and also reduced in circumference.
  4. And then there were two. The second always goes quicker as you now know the pitfalls. The later to be made cowlingsections butt against the false firewalls so the whole wings can be finished before that. Next is to fill the many gaps and fit the flaps/nacelle fairings, the ailerons, landing lights in the leading edge, fairing in the carburetor intakes etc. Mind you everything needs to made to fit etc.
  5. Absolutely fantastic, my gob is well and truly smacked! If I didn't know I would think that was a restored full size cupola.
  6. Hi Tom, of course you are correct, although the bulkhead I am working on is a false one and it serves to mount the Vulture cowling section onto. I do not have good references of the underside of the nacelle and have to find out the hard way. i hit a snag as the undercarriage legs protrude too far forward. But I noticed the front mounting points can be move a bit back. Just a few slots are needed to give room to the mountings and to locate the cowling later on too.
  7. Well, I made a good start at finding the location of the firewall and the length of thr wheelbay. Had to do some heavy sawing on the leading edge with my trusty saw. Although I have done this in 1/48 it is a scary moment when you start cutting up a perfectly good leading edge. The bulkhead seems to fit. Both have been made. This is going well, for now.
  8. Not yet impatient one I have to determine the location of the firewall first so I can finish the middle and rear parts of the nacelle. Fitting the cowling section is the easy part Once I figured out how to make it, but that's something for the future.
  9. You are absolutely right Tom, but handling such a large beast causes stress too. As you know from experience of course. Having a spare Lanc kit I transplanted the kit sidepanels including most of the nacelles into the wing. Compared to the prototype parts......there is no comparison.I also checked the position of the Vulture cowling part, which still need to be made. But not just yet.
  10. Thanks, both wheelbay interiors glued in place. The nacelles will have to be build around them.
  11. Some construction and destruction. The new and wider spinner backplates have been roughly shaped and the square hole need to be plugged with thick plasticard . The starboard wheelbay needed to have some room to enable the undercarriage to be fitted, so some more cutting was needed. Suddenly the join between the centre section and outer wing cracked. So some repairs were needed. And a long suffering join ,where the Lanc wing was sliced spanwise and glued back, needed attention too. Superglue to the rescue. One step forward en two steps back. Oh well.
  12. Keep at it, it would be too boring if it all would go too well.
  13. Now that the fuselage is almost finished, attention has shifted to the undercart. The printed prototype had mocked up undercarriage legs with crude mounting points. The kit parts are much more refined and I am in the lucky position to have some spares as well as wheelbay parts . The pics show the difference. I am also morphing Lanc spinners into the longer Manchester ones by glueing plasticard on the base. The radius is also slightly wider but will come later. The square holes will be plugged and sanded to contour.
×
×
  • Create New...