Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1:16 Roman Centurion (1st Century AD) - ICM

• Administrators

1:16 Roman Centurion (1st Century AD)
ICM

Catalogue # 16302

16302-en.jpg

In the Roman infantry, centurions commanded a centuria or "century". During the Mid-Republic these centuries were grouped in pairs to make up a maniple, each century consisting of 30 - 60 men. After the Marian reforms a century typically composed of around 80 men, with six such centuries forming a legionary cohort. Later, generals and emperors further manipulated these numbers with double and half-strength units. Julius Caesar, for instance, made the first cohort of five double strength centuries. Centurions also received a much higher rate of pay than the average legionary. Veteran legionaries often worked as tenants of their former centurions.

The kit

16302.jpg

1578924579_img_-1-copy-1.jpg

Something a little different for LSM in that we don’t usually look at figures, and especially 1:16. This is one of two releases from Ukrainian company, ICM, that we’ll look at over the next week. The approach for this is quite simplistic in that while it’s generally easy to gauge an armour or aircraft kit, you really need to be something of a buff on military antiquity to judge how authentic the dress of a Roman or a Viking, for instance. This review will simply look at what’s in the box and the features. We’ll have to trust ICM on how much research has gone into the various items of dress.

When I was a kid, I used to build the large-scale Airfix historical figures, and I loved the artwork on these. ICM’s box illustrations are certainly next generation in terms of depiction, and the boxes are certainly sturdier with that glossy lid tightly sitting on top of a whole box with a tabbed lid. All parts to build the Roman Centurion figure itself, are provided on just two sprues of light grey styrene. Another sprue contains the upper and lower base ‘lids/caps’, and a single part is the base itself. The oval base parts are moulded in black styrene. All plastic parts are provided in the same cellophane sleeve. No PE parts are included/needed with this release, and that is very typical of ICM kits. 

DSC02279.jpg

DSC02280.jpg

DSC02281.jpg

DSC02282.jpg

DSC02283.jpg

Of note are the instructions which simply depict the competed figure from front and rear, with the part numbers pointing to specific locations, and of course, the illustrations are in colour, so they double as your painting guide. Supplementary illustrations are supplied which show details for the Gladius (sword) and the Scutum (shield) handle. You can depict the sword in its scabbard or in the soldier’s hand. To depict with the soldier holding the Gladius, you need to remove the handle from the one mounted to the belt, and then try to hollow out the scabbard a little to make it convincing. A complete Gladius part can then be used to fit into the Centurion’s hand.

DSC02284.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

DSC02286.jpg

DSC02287.jpg

DSC02288.jpg

The figure itself is quite easy to build, comprising around 49 parts, with a completed height of about 110mm. Whilst the upper and lower torso comprise a front and rear part each, the legs and arms (with exception of shoulder area and hands) are moulded as single pieces onto which the various parts of soldierly equipment will fit. Sprue B generally concerns the limbs, torso and head of the soldier (although not exclusively so), while Sprue D is for equipment and also the multipart Galea (helmet) with its famous brush top and cheek armour. The shield is generally moulded as a large, single part, but with some frames that need fitting to the rear, as well as the handle.

DSC02278.jpg

All moulding is superbly executed, and whilst there will still be minimal seam removal, ICM have made a very nice job of not needing to add lots of supplementary stuff, such as the old styrene belts that we saw on the Airfix kits of yore.

Instruction-2.jpg

Conclusion
It’s kits like these that really make me wish I could figure paint, as well as the 1:6 Eivor figure (Assassin’s Creed) that I have. The assembly of this ICM kit is nice and easy, and I don’t doubt whatsoever that the resulting figure really will look every bit the centurion he is, and with plenty of detail to keep the modeller and viewer captivated for a good while. Moulding quality is first rate too, as is always the case (IMHO) with ICM. Definitely a kit to get if historical figures interest you at all, and one that also retails for only around £20!

logo.jpg.3af85406afdbd90a937cc102105d47f8.jpg.7de3e8b4c4f0639518f9bfb4cb502f5d.jpg.7cee5d7c2ef15fd924c321f8a72c5f30.jpg.c0ffb22e62a210704b835f47b0629d07.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your fine review. I have seen this kit on the websites I buy from and

I was curious about what came in the box. The kit looks very detailed and well-molded.

It would be fun to see a build of this kit by a skilled figure painter. Although I'm not

the greatest figure builder I might give this one a try!