The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hasegawa P-40N 1/48 RFI

I've been working on this model for a week or so and really hadn't planned to post anything about it here but I decided to go on a do it any way. As you can see it was well along when I took the last photo which was Friday. I wanted to do a a/c that no one else had done in view of the available decals for the 15th Fighter Group P-40Ns. All for "Geronimo" (which I did do in 1/32 a while back). I found one on line I liked and made my own decals for the name, etc. I just finished applying the nose art of "Miss Cappy" and thought I'd share a photo. I should have the model completed tomorrow and will post some RFI photos then.

Miss Cappy 2.jpg

Miss Cappy.jpg

4-27-24.jpg

4-26-24.jpg

• Like 4

• JohnB changed the title to Hasegawa P-40N 1/48 RFI

Completed this one. OOB except for FineMolds seat belts. Painted with Xtracolor Desert Sand 26 and Model Master Azure Blue lightened with some white. I used my computer and printer to do the nose art. National insignia and serial number are from Aeromaster. I hope you like it.

4-28-24 7.jpg

4-28-24 4.jpg

4-28-24 5.jpg

4-28-24 8.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

WOW, your P-40 is a beauty and looks fantastic. Having the ability to make your own markings opens up a whole new world of possibilities.🏆

Thank you Peter. Being able to make my own decals does help but there are limitations. I've found they can print a bit opaque when printed on clear decal paper and therefore don't do well on dark surfaces such as Dark Sea Blue and Olive Drab. Printing on white decal paper works good but then you have to do some very close trimming so there's no white outline, etc. Still, it's nice to be able to print stuff that wouldn't be available otherwise.

• Like 1

John

Pretty interesting on the unique parameters of the different carrier film. I guess, a lot of thought needs to go into the direction you want to go, so there aren't any surprises when you are ready to decal.

Peter

35 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Pretty interesting on the unique parameters of the different carrier film. I guess, a lot of thought needs to go into the direction you want to go, so there aren't any surprises when you are ready to decal.

Peter

Indeed Peter. I found that out the hard way! LOL

• Like 1

John

Even with some of the concessions, being able to create and print your own decals offers so many new and unique possibilities.  Wish my limited computer skills would allow me to do it but at this stage of the game, I know what I can and can do on the pc and that's OK. 

• Like 1