She is finally starting to have the graceful lines of the legendary Spitfire. With the wing, tail and control surfaces glued on (the ailerons and elevators still need to be fixed in position with CCA), it was time to make some decisions regarding the Merlin. I’ve built a lot of Tamiya 1/32 WWII aircraft kits and out of the grouping of Mustangs, Spitfires and the Mossie, there is at least one model of each group with the RR/Packard Merlin with the cowling panels off, exposing the complete engine and the Mossie having both Merlin’s hanging open for display. I want to show some of this late model 60 Merlin, will most likely have the bottom and top cowlings on and leaving the side panels off, at least that is my thinking right now.
I built and painted the Merlin as per the kit instructions, highlighting the details both by brush and dry brushing with Model Air Aluminum. The coolant plumbing was primed with MRP Black Primer and then finished with MRP Copper. Only about five years ago I did the same and hand painted or used foil for the s/s clamps – this time around, my hand just isn't steady enough anymore for such detail painting.
The prop and hub assemblies are done, all the prop/hub parts added but other then black primer, zippo detail painting as they will be inside the spinner and never seen – just no point in wasting time painting those details. All the screws/holes on the hub were drilled out a bit deeper so they will hold a light wash and have some relief at the same time. At the same time, I drilled out all the screw fastener holes on the cowling framing and a good number of hours was needed for all the hand drilling; time well spent.
The Barracuda resin wheel set was cleaned up and the axel holes were drilled out to fit (fingers crossed) the landing gear axels. next the Barracuda drop down door with the much-mentioned crowbar (to be added) was cleaned up replacing the kits rendition.
I just couldn’t help myself and wanted to see how Tamiya’s gorgeous glass fit and looked: a knock out and what can I say, leave the filler in the box, the fit seems to be perfect. I’ll be final sanding and getting the Spit ready for primer later this week.
Thanks for checking in
Parts and assemblies ready for MRP primer
Primed and ready for color coats