The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Barracuda Studios 1/32 Bf 109G-10 & K-4 Prop and Spinner (BR32123)

Mikester

• Members

Barracuda Studios Bf 109G-10 & K-4 Prop and Spinner (BR32123)

Catalog # BR32123
Available from Barracuda Studios for $9.95 US

004_zps2cf28e42.jpg

Roy Sutherland of Barracuda Studios has followed up on his two beautiful decal sets for the 1/32 Revell Bf 109G-10 Erla (see the SPAR review here) with some resin upgrade sets.  The first of which I'll look at is a new spinner and propeller blade set.  The Revell kit is a little lacking in this area for a couple of reasons.  One, although the spinner is pretty much the right shape, it's marred by a lack of details and funky engineering which splits it in an area where there is no natural join line.  Secondly the propeller blades, while not terrible, are not quite correctly shaped.  The VDM 9-12159 propeller blade was a little more "paddle" shaped than it's predecessors, this shot of a Bf 109G-14/AS gives us a nice view of the overall shape.

IMG_zpsec134d35.jpg

The set contains a new spinner and three propeller blades cast in a cream colored resin.  The casting quality is outstanding, details are sharp and free of bubbles or other imperfections.

024_zps3b143465.jpg

I always like to do a comparison of the products under review with the competition if it's feasible and in this case I had an EagleParts and an MDC spinner in the stash.  Please note that I've applied a wash of Tamiya Dark Brown Panel Line Wash to the spinners to help accentuate the details.  Additionally you'll note that the BarracudaCast spinner sits slightly higher owing to the fact that the small pour stub on the back of the spinner has yet to be removed.

028_zpsb6198aea.jpg

Left to right we have the EagleParts, BarracudaCast and MDC.  I think the clear winner here is BarracudaCast, you'll note the finely done rivet detail, data plates, correctly shaped "tear-drop" openings for the propeller as well as capturing the unique shape of 109 spinner correctly, just superbly done.  On a side note, I'll point out that a quick dry fit of the MDC spinner on the Revell G-10 revealed that it is slightly too small in diameter to be used on the kit.  However in fairness to MDC the part was designed for the Hasegawa Bf 109G .

029_zps0d375416.jpg

031_zps01df2c8b.jpg

Examination of the propeller blades next to the kit parts (painted silver) reveals that the BarracudaCast blades are much more accurate in shape.  From the improved shape at the base to the more rounded contour at the end of the blade it just looks much more the part.

IMG_0003_zps45d52208.jpg

A small instruction sheet rounds out the package.

So what's the verdict?

The set is exceptionally well done, the casting quality is superb and the shapes appear spot on.  I don't think most 109 enthusiasts would balk at paying twice the price for this but at $9.95 it's a no-brainer.  Since the Hasegawa kits are lacking in this area as well, this set will be a staple in my after-market goodies stash for years to come.  I suspect I'm not the only one!

Very Highly Recommended

Review copy courtesy of my wallet.

If you found this review helpful and decide to purchase this product, please tell them you read about it at Large Scale Modeller!