The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

It´s true??? :( :(

Fran

Yes, I used to live very close to that airfield and my parents still do. (I got my first ever taste of flying there in a Tiger Moth)

However the pilot was pulled alive from the wreckage and is recovering in hospital (Apparently).

Shoreham Airport was used during the First World War by the Royal Flying Corps as a departure point for the first Blériotsand BEs to join the conflict across the Channel.

During the WWII the airfield operated a variety of military aircraft including Westland Lysanders that were later replaced by Supermarine Spitfires, Hawker Hurricanes, Defiants and Bristol Beaufighters. It was an air-sea-rescue base with Supermarine Walrus aircraft joining other wartime activities in the nearby harbour located about 500m down river from the airfield and was accessible by fast boat as the airfield is located next to the river Adur.

The airfield was bombed several times and a Messerschmitt Bf 109 was shot down by ground fire during one such attack, crash-landing near the terminal building.

A B-17 Flying Fortress crash-landed at the airfield after being damaged during a raid on Germany. The consequent damage to the old guardhouse on the north side of the airfield can still be seen.

Also many of the buildings on site are 'Listed' (Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.) as Grade II.

• Like 1