The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Friedrichshafen - Aircraft of WWI - Aeronaut Books

Fran

• Administrators

Friedrichshafen

(Aircraft of WWI: A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes: Volume 21  (Great War Aviation)

IMG_6800_zpsgq5ycltj.jpg

Aeronaut Books

Author: Jack Heris

ISBN: 1935881353

Price tag: £ 41.49(plus shipping)

Aeronaut Books is a born child of Jack Herris and their goal is to ensure that all types of WW1 aircraft are documented.

All the titles from Aeronaut Books are POD (Print on Demand) to allows to make all the books financially feasible.

Aeronaut goal is to ensure that all types of WW1 aircraft are documented.

When Jack Herris owned Flying Machines, it was published Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of World War One, French Aircraft of the First World War, British Airplanes 1914-1918 so those are covered. In late 2014, was published American Military Aircraft 1908-1919 and Icarus Press published Russian Aeroplanes 1914-1918 and Flying Machines also published The Imperial Russian Air Service about 1995, so Russian airplanes are covered.

After review the Blue Max Vol. 7, I was in high expectation on this book and I can tell you that it did disappointed.

The book is like atlas of all Friedrichshafen airplanes made a little before the start of WWI and during WWI, even if it was only a prototype.

IMG_6801_zpskvub95fn.jpg

It is a rather bulky book with over 300 pages with soft cover with a brilliant and beautiful illustration from the great Steve Anderson with a very elegant and gorgeous Friedrichshafen FF41.

Throughout the 312 pages, the author provides us with lots of information and lots of pictures on Friedrichschafen aircraft and inspiration for the modeler.

IMG_6802_zpsu6k9z6w6.jpg

This book aims to become the top reference on the airplanes produced by Friedrichshafen.  So let´s see if it hits his goal.

In the contents you can see that every single FF build are there.

After a small briefing about Friedrichshafen and his creator Theodor Kober, a previously employee of the Zeppelin Company, the author provides the reader, a table with all models effectively built.

IMG_6803_zpss2f8cnlm.jpg

In this introductory note is interesting the author care to give due honor to Theodor and Friedrichshafen with images of Manzell in Lake Costance.

A second table is nothing more than an order chronological order and delivery of all Friedrichshafen seaplanes throughout WWI. This is clearly the result of an arduous and painstaking work that resulted in three sheets with detailed and extraordinary information. We actually know when the airplane was ordered and properly delivered.

IMG_6804_zpss7ye2rzy.jpg

IMG_6805_zpseeb7rrza.jpg

The first chapter is dedicated to the pre-war Friedrichshafen aircraft.

In this chapter I confess my ignorance about not knowing any of them.

The n.º 1 is Friedrischafen FF1 with several awesome pics, quite inspirational ones.

It goes through all the planes built even the ones that have been only prototypes.

Thus the book provides brief historical information from the plane to the technical specificities of the case there.

Interestingly and despite being in the prewar chapter, we are presented with two beautiful FF33E profiles, the most famous Friedrichshafen.

On FF9, four photos gives us a beautiful view of this puscher which was only built one. Two more profiles FF33, this time an E and H.

The next chapter is Friedrichshafen Reconnaissance Floatplane and the layout of the subjects and information given is at the same level.

With the outbreak of the war the necessity of new airplanes was real and the Friedrichshafen aircraft at this beginning, were  nothing more improved versions.

Starting this chapter, FF29 and FF29A that was a large version on the FF19.

The FF19 is cover is several and quite interesting pictures, follow be a descriptive table of all numerous and series order by the Navy, every aircraft engine and the order data.

For the FF31 the author gave us several SVK drawing, from all sides. The only low of these drawings are the fact of being so small.

Finaly, the FF33.

Staring off with 3 profiles of the L version, the final and best version of all, according to the author.

One of the profiles is Christiansen´s FF33, before the arrival of the faster W.12.

Once again, we have all FF33 numbers, licenses and subtype specifications.

IMG_6806_zpswtqwmltq.jpg

The lots of inflight pics and some quite cool pics that are a real inspiration.

IMG_6809_zps82lndf5v.jpg

IMG_6811_zpssqxwslol.jpg

Its almost 40 pages of tons of pictures of FF33.

On the FF33, there`s a fantastic sub-chapter - Operarions at Zeebrugge.

IMG_6810_zpsjkf01sju.jpg

Several movie frames in different scenarios, since store in land to in action in flight or in the sea. Fantastic series really.

Also several SVK drawings of several versions and several profiles.

IMG_6813_zpsjxya0met.jpg

I highlight a profile for my Dutch friends.

IMG_6812_zpskutkof79.jpg

Passing just  to the FF49.

The FF49, as almost all Friedrichshafen aircraft, is elegant and willowy, and his chapter has some beautiful profiles, SVK drawings and several colour pictures of the entire frame of the reproduction been built by the Danish Technik Museum.

IMG_6814_zpstih68eak.jpg

IMG_6815_zpstefxwybq.jpg

Also another very interesting pictures of the FF49 are several ones after war in civil service and limousine conversion.

Just before the ending of the reconnaissance planes we are served with some fantastic pictures of a fantastic and crazy plane: FF60.

IMG_6816_zpsmgw0telp.jpg

The FF60 is simply fabulous: triplane with 4 engines and crew of 4 ... I wonder what there was enough information for WnW go down this route. It would be epic!

The fighter floatplanes chapter maintains the same information structure, with very interesting photographs of all documented models, accompanied if existente, SVK drawings. This chapter is quite a short one with no profile given.

The torpedo bombers chapter follow as he all book, the same structure.

A specifications table of all Friedrichshafen torpedo bomber (FF35, FF41, FF41at, FF53) is also present and quite useful.

The first is the FF35 but the main interest and more attention, naturally given by the author Is the FF41A & FF41AT that also makes the cover of the book. Sadly only two colour profile.

After this chapter, a two pages profiles, with one of the profiles of FF41 and all the rest of FF43, FF49 and FF33.

My favorite chapter: Bombers, the G type.

IMG_6818_zpsppjzftxi.jpg

All of them are present, with special attention to G.III.

IMG_6819_zpsdn9yf1fd.jpg

IMG_6820_zpsnej7ft9l.jpg

IMG_6822_zpsp1uje8bq.jpg

We are lavished with several profiles of the G.III and tons of pictures of it, very good references for modellers, engine, cockpit and external details. Please WnW?...

Friedrichshafen also did have land aircraft…. Didn’t you know? The FF37, C.I, FF46 (D.I), FF54 and N.I are all wheels aircraft.

Not much to say about them except that any of them see combat.

IMG_6823_zpsj6dqig8u.jpg

IMG_6824_zpsrn9ip1ci.jpg

IMG_6825_zpso7uyesq1.jpg

The FF54 does have a very curious design with his 4 wings.

The final chapter is the Post war Floatplanes with FF67 and FF71 and several pictures of war design being converted in air limousines like the G.III.

After the bibliography notes, there are several drawings of the main Friedrichshafen aircrafts, like the FF33, FF41, FF41 AT, FF49, G.II, D.I and the FF54 finishing with two final profiles: a FF54 (love it) and the FF49.

This fantastic books finish with the afterword, with historical note about FF33 “Wolfchen” and great pictures about that specific aircraft.

IMG_6826_zpsc2gcklfy.jpg

Do you want to know more? You will just have to buy the book.

Conclusão:

CONCLUSION

This book describes and illustrates the development of Friedrichshafen aircraft of WWI with text, 540 photos, 18 in color, 37 color profiles, production quantities and serial numbers of aircraft, and aircraft dimensions and performance specifications.

No doubt that the aim of this book is to be a reference for all aircraft built by Friedrichasen.

After reading it, I can say for sure that goal is achieved.

This book is a true encyclopedia of this aircraft builder with clear emphasis and focus in the more famous FF31.

Jack Herris does not neglect the other making a brief historical overview of the types not well know such as 39 and SVK drawings of it or the FF60.

Everything that you want know about Friedrichshafen is in this book.

This is book is not a specific type of Friedrichshafen with several walkaround pictures like a Datafile but an all in book of all Friedrichashafen with fantastic pics perfect for historians and modellers.

The only little lowdown to some is the paper back and the soft cover. This book deserve a hard cover and gloss or satin paper. That would turn the book perfect.

Highly Recommend

Francisco Guedes

Our thanks to the Jack Herris and Aeronaut Books for this review sample and all the support.

Aeronaut%20Books%20logo%20black_zpsmjmua

To purchase this directly, click THIS link.

If you found this review helpful and decide to purchase this product, please tell them you read about it at Large Scale Modeller!

Disclaimer: all photos all in low quality to preserve and prevent all copyright.