The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

AEG Aircraft of WWI - Aeronaut Books

Fran

• Administrators

AEG

(Allgemeine Elektrizitäts-Gesellschaft)

(Aircraft of WWI: A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes: Volume 16 (Great War Aviation)

Publish at 15/07/2015.

Aeronaut Books

Author: Jack Herris

ISBN: 978-1-935881-28-5

Price tag: £ 32.49(plus shipping)

IMG_7130_zps1lbe0jli.jpg

Aeronaut Books is a born child of Jack Herris and their goal is to ensure that all types of WW1 aircraft are documented.

All the titles from Aeronaut Books are POD (Print on Demand) to allows to make all the books financially feasible.

Aeronaut goal is to ensure that all types of WW1 aircraft are documented.

When Jack Herris owned Flying Machines, it was published Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of World War One, French Aircraft of the First World War, British Airplanes 1914-1918 so those are covered. In late 2014, was published American Military Aircraft 1908-1919 and Icarus Press published Russian Aeroplanes 1914-1918 and Flying Machines also published The Imperial Russian Air Service about 1995, so Russian airplanes are covered.

I have had the pleasure and good fortune to have done reviews of Blue Max Vol 7 and Friedrichshafen books. Logo is always a pleasure to do another review of another book Aeronaut.

A review of a book is always very enriching because I read the books almost in its entirety.

My expectation of any Aeronaut book is now always high because they really are a reference in the WWI.

The AEG has the same structure of Friedrichshafen`s book, covering all AEG airplanes made, being because of that, a reference for AEG airplanes.

It’s a medium size book, in A4 format, with soft cover and paperback.

On the cover, an original and fantastic painting from Steve Anderson with the one and only AEG G IV.

Throughout the 186 pages, the author provides us with lots of information and lots of pictures on AEG aircraft and inspiration for the modeler.

Like the others books from Aeronaut, they always pretend to be a reference to modelers and historians trying to get a balance between those two goals.

I always learn much when I read these books and the AEG is no exception… For instance… I did not know that the AEG D.I in 1917 was the fastest German fighter or the AEG factory were the first to build metal-framed aircrafts.

After a small briefing about AEG, a full table all of AEG types and numbers and their frontbesthand inventory.

I confess that I really like the information as you can track down your model (or the one you`re about to made) and put it in a past timeline and in a specific period.

Here`s a very curious fact: Do you know which is the most produced AEG? Yes… it’s the IV but not the G… it’s the C.IV, with 495 units made against the 320 units of the G.IV. The G.IV hasn’t the 2nd most made AEG… not only was the 3rd. The 2nd place goes to the AEG J.II with 400 units made.

Passing the curious facts, the first chapter is AEG reconnaissance two-seaters.

Like the Friedrichshafen, all types are cover with images and a brief spectifications and history.

This chapter starts with B types. B.I, B.II and B.III. The B types were not very significant. In fact in the reconnaissance type, the only one that had impact in active duty and was built in large amount was the AEG C. IV.

The AEG B is such a gorgeous airplanes and the pic of he B.II  in page 11 is well representative of their beautiful lines.

Great pic of a beautiful plane.

The C type, as stated above does have a much richer history to tell, so a Type specification table is given with all C types knowed.

Some rare picture of some AEG C types with a particulary enhance to a AEG C.IIe with a annular radiator… TOP!

I must spotlight the AEG C.III… I do like unusual looking aircraft and this one is just like that: ugly, unusual and I love IT!.

6 profiles are given, one from a AEG B.II, two of a C.I and 3 from the AEG C.IV.

Only now we enter the world of AEG C.IV.

Like the bomber type the IV is magic number for AEG.

More than 40 pages on the AEG C.IV with type history and factory Fokker small history. Also the R type is included with 2 paragrafs.

So the AEG C.IV was powered with a 160hp Mercedes D.III engine and soon gained reputation for reability and speed but the flight issue was not easy to do. And AEG C.IV did have some very goods competitors: Albatross D.II, DFW C. V, Roland C.II or the exceptional Rumpler C. IV.

We really need a WnW AEG C.IV.

The next chapter is the fighter and AEG only had two.

I could keep going with my thoughts and summaries but if I do, you don’t need to buy the book.

Check up some pages.

IMG_8594_zpsq5spk1ok.jpg

IMG_8595_zpskgpxeuqp.jpg

IMG_8596_zpsrugmiubx.jpg

IMG_8597_zpsletyec5f.jpg

IMG_8598_zpsywvcodjw.jpg

IMG_8599_zpswkznsnl2.jpg

IMG_8600_zpsurcbgfu8.jpg

IMG_8601_zpsnogyym04.jpg

All chapters have information for every single type, some with more than others, depending of the aircraft history.

All are accompanied with very interesting photographs of all documented models and SVK drawings.

Conclusion

CONCLUSION

If you are a AEG lover this boos is the right thing for you.

Althought, is not a walkaround of AEG G.IV, is a very good reference to it and to all AEG types.

Even in paperback, photo images are of a generally higher quality than I have seen previously.

The Technical notes are very good ones and go beyond the general specifications and engine types.

There`s a few profiles, and quite some good ones, specialty for AEG C. IV and G.IV.

This book describes and illustrates the development of AEG aircraft of WWI with text, tons of photos, color profiles, production quantities and serial numbers of aircraft, and aircraft dimensions and performance specifications.

Its serious and committed study of the AEG aircraft of the WWI.

The POD allows us to have these fantastic books but its does have its limitations, the paper back and the soft cover.

Highly Recommend

Francisco Guedes

Our thanks to the Jack Herris and Aeronaut Books for this review sample and all the support.

Aeronaut%20Books%20logo%20black_zpsmjmua

To purchase this directly, click THIS link.

If you found this review helpful and decide to purchase this product, please tell them you read about it at Large Scale Modeller!

Disclaimer: all photos all in low quality to preserve and prevent all copyright.

• Like 1