• Administrators

Air Modeller`s Guide to

WINGNUT

WINGS

Vol. II

Several authors

Publisher: AFV Modeller

113 pages

Landscape format (A4 size with softcover)

8 full features build

Price tag: 25 £

5EDC58I.jpg

AFV Modeller Publications is quite well know in AFV modeler but a few ago , by the hand of the very talent modeler David Parker, they release the first exclusive book about WnW model kit and their construction, the Air Modeller Guide To WingNut Wings.

Back then I have had the pleasure to review for WnW fans facebook, and was in fact my very first review, and thank god that first of many.

So now, when I got the gold message from David to review the second volume I really was excited to do so.

Diving to the book, the paper`s touch is quite smooth. The paper is satin with very good printing quality of color and definition.

The book cover is soft one with a fantastic Felixstowe Fe2 Late Type in flight. The first time I saw this cover I asked myself from where those figures came from… maybe scratchbuid…

Anyway, when I saw the book on the steps of my doorway I just pick it up and start reading it.

The first thing I notice different from the first volume is the fact that this one was no hint and tips chapters. The tips are on the model features, from each modeler.

So the first is Zdenko Bugan Fokker Eindecker E.III. Zdenko is a fantastic modeler with great builds and this one is no exception.

vH6buJs.jpg

For me the highlight of this work is the way he does the squiggles… its quite impressive work. All his builds are very clean and beautiful.

eu323fg.jpg

6x45Vqw.jpg

The second feature is the mighty Felixstowe from Adrian Davies and curious the article starts with the figures and the sculpting work that was made… I was right, is from scratch which is a pity as I was praying for some new figures for all of those that just can`t sculpt.

7SV9hIg.jpg

P5BkvAQ.jpg

The highlight of the feature beside the figures is the weathering of the wings and fuselage (A very well achieved result). Another useful tips are the jigs used… pity that they didn’t included some plans to build those jigs specially the one to get all the wings and struts aligned.

hyTSDdw.jpg

Next in line the the Sopwith Snipe from Michael Gruson. This little jew is very well made and the most impressive are in fact the painting an weathering of those wings. Brilliant.

a1OYrnV.jpg

xB908Wk.jpg

Another good tip is the use of Model FactoryHiro flexible microtube to simulate some sort of turnbuckles if you use PE wire.

3h65HuR.jpg

Next a build that you don’t see very often: a Rumpler C.IV early type from Richard Camion.

It’s a great build and one of the main focus is the Daimler-Mercedes D.Iva engine that the author gave extra detail with Taurus detail sets and a fantastic paintwork and weathering.

pKYRx0S.jpg

iRmYR7B.jpg

Follow up for one of my favourite build of all times of one of my favourite modeler, my good friend Jeroen Veen.

AiQUYaC.jpg

Jeroen Veen is a well-know modeler everywhere and his Fe.2B Late type is very famous among WnW fanatics because is just a piece of art.

Everything in the article is worth of reading and re-reading and watching over and over again all those pictures

This book is getting better and better now with another fantastic modeler: Zdenek Sebesta with a Fokker D. VII OAW. If I had to enhance something about this fantastic build I would say: the interiors (too good to be true) and those wings are just outstanding.

TuAhuwW.jpg

Ya4wAfS.jpg

3IVBnFh.jpg

One of my favourite WnW model kit is the Sopwith Triplane and Michael Gruson made a tremendous work.

iOvNJNZ.jpg

D7EcFoI.jpg

I love the work on the wings and the wood work on the wooden coving around the cockpit with PE woodgrain mask from RB production. I got those mask… I must try it one day.

Finally the Pfalz D.IIIa from the great, the only David Parker.

HGoeihZ.jpg

PTZ66HE.jpg

OmSH5GM.jpg

A clean and fantastic build as only David can do it. The paintjob is tremendous with no decals for the markings and very subtle variations of the light colour and very smooth weathering that just bring to live a fantastic model.

Conclusion:

The book has a fantastic color registration and print quality, with some excellent model photography reproduced on satin pages.

It´s a great book to all modeler that have some interest in WWI. Of course that for Wingnut Wings fans it’s a totally must with some great tips, fantastic works that will inspire you to do more WnW and getting your skills to another all new level by simply trying all those good tips.

It’s a mojo elevator. After reading it I just want to go to my bench and start a new WnW.. I just finish one.. well that AEG is looking at me… J

Very Highly Recommend

Thanks to David Parker and AFV Modeller Publication for the review sample.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...