The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Arado AR-196 WIP with ship's catapult.

Uh, Paul, this build is really going to have some meaning now....Rog just bought an HPH catapault for his Arado, and mine should be here next week.

You will be the guinea pig for the rest of us, sorry bro.... ^_^

Cheers,  Ian

• Like 1

Uh, Paul, this build is really going to have some meaning now....Rog just bought an HPH catapault for his Arado, and mine should be here next week.

Cheers,  Ian

Ian

... well ... I HAVE been looking on with interest, I must say ... BUT ... My skills don't match anywhere near what Has been done here!! - I honestly can't recall the last time I SAW a soldering iron, let alone used one! ... So ... I may just consider buying the HPH Arado 196 for the catapult ... and create yet another small diorama (perhaps for Crete??) with the Revell kit using that cart/tractor combo I saw somewhere online.

Rog

Cheers,  Ian

Ian, glad to be of service. All I can say is take a good inventory of the kit. I was missing parts and HPH said they will send them. I have yet to receive them, So I had to scratch build the control panels. I ordered instrument decals and etch bezels for it. The cat is almost done. I will post more pics by the weekend.

Ian

... well ... I HAVE been looking on with interest, I must say ... BUT ... My skills don't match anywhere near what Has been done here!! - I honestly can't recall the last time I SAW a soldering iron, let alone used one! ... So ... I may just consider buying the HPH Arado 196 for the catapult ... and create yet another small diorama (perhaps for Crete??) with the Revell kit using that cart/tractor combo I saw somewhere online.

Rog

Rog, thanks for the compliment. I learned to solder on this kit. Really had no choice. HPH's methods for the railings leave a lot to be desired. If you can do it using their parts, your better than me by a long shot. But soldering wasn't that difficult and the results look way better anyway, in my opinion. A butane torch instead of an iron and soldering paste made a world of difference. Even though this kit lacks a couple of things, it is a wonderful kit, I must say.

If you are going to build the resin AR-196, you ARE a glutton for punishment, LOL

Regards,

Paul

Here is the latest update and more pics. Well, this has been a fun build so far. Learned a lot about resin, good thing. Still hate it. Love hate relationship?

Finally got my missing parts from HPH after I scratch built the control cabinet. Slow but impressed with their customer support. Will buy from them again. I am happy with the extra work put into this. The aftermarket railings are a must in my opinion and making a new sled from brass and solder are totally up to the builders discretion but I am happy with that also. Now for some pics.

Adding the hand rails around the base. The aftermarket stanchions were perfect for this.

DSC_0006_zps9717b081.jpg

DSC_0005_zps495e4662.jpgDSC_0008_zps7cce97fa.jpg

DSC_0009_zpsbb89f119.jpg

These took all of 30 minutes to install.

This is the finished platform. The ladder was also soldered from 1 mm brass wire, which is called for in the instructions.

DSC_0017_zpsc36fd2f9.jpg

Everything is primed and finish base coated so far. Detail painting will commence soon after some more work on the aircraft itself.

DSC_0016_zpsf3d5e1c1.jpg

DSC_0020_zps40c1f325.jpg

Here is a shot of the kit control cabinet, which came after I finished the scratch built on, sans decals and detail. I bought Luftwaffe instrument decals and photo etch bezels. I think I will use kit cabinet after all. Looks nicer I think but will add decals and bezels if they fit.

DSC_0024_zpscee9be13.jpg

That's it for the catapult for now. On to the aircraft and get it caught up a little. Thanks for looking and I hope you all enjoy these. I hope also that these are a help for anyone choosing to do this. I know there are couple of you guys already choosing to do this kit. Beautiful and worth it.

Enjoy,

Paul

Now for the latest on the aircraft. I will say again, this is a beautiful kit. For those of you choosing the HPH Arado-196 in resin? I will watch intensely but no way or me, LOL.

Here is the engine with cowl bracings installed. I will paint thes but they will be covered since I am buttoning up the cowl.

DSC_0013_zps38554453.jpg

DSC_0012_zpse7b3c63a.jpg

Here's a shot of the Alley Cat resin canopy. Another beautiful product and a must have add on. The black masks are the masks provided with the canopy. They are the texture of electrical tape. Kinf of hard to wrap and hold form but  more than adequate.

DSC_0014_zps7559fb34.jpg

DSC_0011_zps6ec80192.jpg

The canopies are glued temporarily with white glue. They will be removed after priming and painting for finish detail and re-positioning. I did this so I did not not have to mask the cockpit area except for the area where the radio and gunner sits. Cotton balls to the rescue. Main canopy is not installed yet.

DSC_0015_zpsf1e4fced.jpg

The yellow Tamiya tape is the only mask from Alley Cat that I could not get to wrap around and stay down. For some reason, that one mask came in 3 pieces.

That's it for now. Enjoy.

Regards, Paul

• Like 1

Paul,

Thanks or all my reference pictures... :lol:

Seriously, great work on the catapault and the Arado.

Do you have the link to the site that you bought all the brass stuff from?  I tried the one posted here, but I couldn't get it to work

Thanks,

Cheers,   Ian

Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate all the responses.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks or all my reference pictures... :lol:

Seriously, great work on the catapault and the Arado.

Do you have the link to the site that you bought all the brass stuff from?  I tried the one posted here, but I couldn't get it to work

Thanks,

Cheers,   Ian

Ian, Cornwall model boats was the one I used. It works for me. Try this one though.

Maritime Models

Paul,

Did you get the 1mm wire from them as well?  The link worked.  Thanks :unworthy:

Ian,

No, I got he 1mm wire from McMaster Carr. The kit calls for .8mm, 1mm and 1.5mm wire. Mcmaster Carr has all sizes and is dirt cheap. It is an industrial warehouse. 50 feet is like $3.50, if I remember right. Brass tube can be found there too.  telescoping tubing. 2mm fits into 3mm and 3mm fits into 4mm and so on. Way less than most hobby shops.

Ok, found them, but what size wire do I need to buy?  There is a conversion chart, but its all greek to me :blink:

Ian,

There should be no need for conversion. They offer straight MM sizes too. But 1mm is .040, 1.5mm is .060 and .8mm is .032.

Paul

Paul

• 2 years later...

Paul,

I have these kits to build. Any further updates? I have found the 2 hole stanchions with 1mm hole but the 6mm stanchions from Caldercraft seem to only have a 0.70mm diameter hole. There are others by Aeronaut which seem similar to the ones in your pics but no hole diameter is mentioned. I will have to source 1mm wire locally as I am in Australia and the company you got yours from don't ship to Australia.

Great work BTW.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...