The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

1/32 Decals for Arado 196 A-3?

Artful69

Ok folks ...

I've done the mandatory Google search before succubing to a post here ...

My boss rang me 2 weeks ago to ask me what I wanted for my birthday ... we generaly get a shot at something around about $50 ... give or take $10. Most of the lads grab a carton of beer ... But I wanted something a little different ... and then I remembered my "Stash Order" list ...

So I told him I would really like a 1/32 Revell Arado 196 A-3 ... "a what?" he says!

Today I have it in my hot little hands (not while I'm typing of course!!)

BUT ... I was hoping for some decals depicting one of the recce planes from the Bismark ... no such luck!!

Does anyone make a batch of AM decals for one of these (specifically to suit a Bismark reference)?? ... I'll need some swastikas too!

Rog smile.png

• Like 1

• Members

Rog,

The only ones I'm aware of are from the Kagero book that was reviewed by our own Peter:

http://scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-things-aviation/everything-else/book-reviews/1420-arado-ar-196-top-drawings-14-from-kagero

Unfortunately not the markings you're looking for.  You can always get some customs masks made for the fuselage codes but if the plane had a unit badge that may be more difficult.

• Like 1

Hiya Mikester :)

Thanks for you help and the link ... someone over at LSP gave me that one too ...

Yes ... It seems with whats available out there I can model recce planes from the Tirpitz, Scheer and Graf Spee ... and a variety of others weird and wonderful subjects!

Now ... Unit badge?? ... would you be referring to the little avatar drawing on or near the cowl?? ... like the seahorse on blue shield background for example??

If so ... I believe that the seahorse was was common to all Arados attached to Kreigsmarine as recce aircraft ... the decals drawings for the Scheer and Graf Spee certainly had one.

I have the fuse markings for all four Bismark Arados in reference material for my Bismark 1/200 kit ... who would make custom for the Arado in 1/32??

Regards

Roger

• Members

Hiya Mikester :)

Thanks for you help and the link ... someone over at LSP gave me that one too ...

Yes ... It seems with whats available out there I can model recce planes from the Tirpitz, Scheer and Graf Spee ... and a variety of others weird and wonderful subjects!

Now ... Unit badge?? ... would you be referring to the little avatar drawing on or near the cowl?? ... like the seahorse on blue shield background for example??

If so ... I believe that the seahorse was was common to all Arados attached to Kreigsmarine as recce aircraft ... the decals drawings for the Scheer and Graf Spee certainly had one.

I have the fuse markings for all four Bismark Arados in reference material for my Bismark 1/200 kit ... who would make custom for the Arado in 1/32??

Regards

Roger

The sea horse was actually the unit emblem of BFLGr. 196, whose detachments appeared to have been assigned to most ships although I did I come across this photo of a 196 on the Admiral Hipper.  This one does not appear to have the sea horse, I'll have to do some research to see what unit this is.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101II-MW-1949-03_Kreuz

Of course there were several land based maritime recon units that you could model as well, unless you want to use the HpH catapult (aka the resin monster) to display it on.

• Like 1

Heya ... thanks!!

The HPH catapult is EXACTLY what I'll be using!! ... I've ordered one (along with a Walrus). The idea is to display it in a long glass wall cabinet alongside a 1/200 Bismark (hence the markings) and a 1/32 Swordfish (Ark Royal markings) ...

I THINK, I might have the problem solved!!

It seems the "I" on the markings is exactly like the "L" with the bottom chopped off ... I'm pretty sure I can adapt the Revell decals :D

Rog :)

• 2 weeks later...

rog,

Are you planning on doing an "in progress" build thread for you Arado/catapault.  I also just purchased the HPH catapault, and plan on displaying my Arado on it, however, I've heard that the "Resin Monster" has some build issues and the Revell's Arado doesn't fit on it very well.... :unsure:

Cheers,  Ian

rog,

Are you planning on doing an "in progress" build thread for you Arado/catapault.  I also just purchased the HPH catapault, and plan on displaying my Arado on it, however, I've heard that the "Resin Monster" has some build issues and the Revell's Arado doesn't fit on it very well.... :unsure:

Cheers,  Ian

Ian ...

In answer to your questions ...

* I don't generally post build threads or WIP's online ... the main reason being knockers'n'mockers - my skill set is not huge! And while I do not seek praise for work done in enjoyment - I certainly don't like people tearing me down either ... If I want direction or need help with something I can always ask :D - so not posting is the best solution.

* I won't be building the Catapult/Arado for some time as its going in with the 'Bismarck' display (currently housing a 1/200 Bismarck + 1/32 'Ark Royal' Swordfish) ... and I am working on a 1000mm x 800mm coffee table diorama for Afrika Korps at the moment ... The 'France May 1940' one took me near on 2 years (much bigger - think dining room table!) ... this one is a fair way down the track, but there are some bits and kits that haven't even arrived here yet, so until it's finished - no other plans.

To offer what little help I DO have ... I think pretty much all resin kits have to be worked over to fit correctly ... From what I've read, most kits have issues with flash or ejection marks ... and even fit issues due to warping - all of which are fixable. Apparently, resin kits are a little like 'limited run' injection mould in these regards ... I say 'apparently' because, until now, I've never owned either and all of a sudden I have a flurry of gear inbound - my MDC Hawker Typhoon has arrived a week ago (resin) ... The Walrus and Catapult kits from HPH (resin) are on their way ... as are 2 early FW-190's, a Hawker Tempest and Hawker Hurricane (limited run IM) ...

MY solution (I may try test-fitting before I commit!), MIGHT be to buy the HPH Arado?? Now, I may be assuming incorrectly here, that the two kits were developed side-by-side and so the HPH Arado fits where the Revell kit does not?? …

And then there’s some manufacturer that has developed a transport trolley, tow hitch and tractor for an Arado also – This I might use for the Revell kit along with some Fallschirm Jaeger to display a “Crete” diorama!

There seems to be a few options around … so I’ll wait until the bits and pieces are in 1st

My thoughts

Rog :)

• Like 1

Rog, imitation is the sincerest from of flattery, LOL.  Nice scheme and build grouping here, love it. The resin Arado will still have to have attachment points scratch built for it. I don't know how the float struts are on the resin kit but I assume they will be the same as the Revell kit if both kits maintained accuracy. The dimensions for the HPH catapult are not likely to work for either. Check and double check before you build anything. Take inventory and order parts now, because any missing parts will take forever to receive. I just got my missing parts, almost a month later. The resin "monster" isn't such a monster, just finicky like most resin kits are. Plan on another method for the railings because if you do get theirs to work, they likely won't last. All of my sub-assemblies are done and I look back and it wasn't that bad. I am quite happy with it. Resin is a bear to work with no matter what.

Godspeed,

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rog,

I have been looking for alternative schemes for my Arado too. Not what you need I realise, but the Kagero package looks good and the only others I found were two sets by Kora for aircraft of the Bulgarian Eagles and Romanian service. These were on the expensive side though http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KORD3211 

all the best,

Geoff