The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Airfix Junkers JU87 B-2

Hello, sorry for the delay in getting anything uploaded but I only get one day a week to work on the model (running my pub takes up the other 6!)

I originally posted in Say Hello:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/1421-hi-guys/

and promised some progress so here it is. As I said, I'm starting modelling again after a 20 year layoff so your comments on how it's looking would be appreciated. I hadn't realised how much the old eyes go in artificial light when you hit 50.

Cockpit is well under way and should be finished in next couple of sessions.

IMG_20131126_185712_zps8bf58a9c.jpg

I've added Airscale Luftwaffe harness and some of their generic decals on the right hand sidewall. Also made an oxygen bottle from a bit of sprue and run blue wire as an oxygen pipe.

At the rear I've wound some copper wire around the drum of the retractable antenna for a bit of realism and replaced the plastic spent cartridge bag with one made of masking tape

IMG_20131126_185651_zpsc4241c89.jpg

Few bits of wire between the transmitters and receivers add a bit of interest.

I've also been working on the engine and that's well on too. I painted it a dark gray base coat then added a wash of metallic gunmetal gray to give a slight metallic shimmer. Some chipping (stilllearning on that one) and some glossy oil runs and dry brushing and it looks like this though not complete yet.

IMG_20131126_185827_zps0f2475c1.jpg

Hopefully will have the engine and cockpit ready to go in the fuselage in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime any critisisms or comments will be greatly appreciated and absorbed.

Cheers

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while since any updates so here we are. I've just been working on finishing the engine and getting everything in the fuselage and glued togethr ready for the wings going on. These are just a few shots of that. Don't worry the oil filter is skewed, I got over zealous with masking tape when fitting the engine and it cracked off together with the LH oil pipe. Bit of remedial work needed there I think.

20140126_121515_zpse4081232.jpg

Engine Mounted

20140126_121546_zps5a039524.jpg

Engine mounted front view

20140126_121807_zps5f9c67c8.jpg

This is the cockpit in position. I've chucked the plastic kit backstrap and made one from padding and masking tape plus a couple of leftover buckles from the seatbelts kit.

I've also been wrestling with trying to get the exhaust stacks to look real. If anyone has any comments on how they do it I'd be grateful but in the meantime this is my effort...

20140126_130409_zpsade2ab9f.jpg

20140126_130456_zps60aab7ee.jpg

So next is getting the canopy all sorted and masked, wings on then camoflage

Edited by Craigyboy

Looking really good! I'm contemplating this kit for the Arrow-Wolf Junkers Group Build, so I'm happy to be able to follow your progress! ;)

Cheers,

Erik.

Thanks Eric. I first built it as a kid in the 70s. I've got a couple of free weeks now so should be able to rattle along

• 1 month later...

Time for another update.

I've done quite a lot, canopy was masked off and painted first of all. Next was putting it all together and base coating. Then came decals and trying to make them look painted. Here's a few pictures of all that.

20140307_140743_zps91067c8f.jpg

This is the underside after basecoating and decaling. As I said earlier, this is my first model for over 30 years and I made some mistakes lining up the fuselage decals as you can see at the bottom of the picture. I used future as a gloss coat but still got some silvering on the underwing Ks. Any advice is welcome as ever.

20140307_140614_zps11bea532.jpg

This is the front fuselage. These decals went on better than the wing ones and conformed nicely after microsol/set was applied about 5 times. I'm a little worried that the wear and chipping along the wing/fuselage join is a bit excessive but the photos I've been using to reference show some planes with huge amounts of chipping in these walking areas.

20140307_140825_zps047c2ff2.jpg

This shows the wing cross which didn't go on too badly which is more than I can say for the paint! I used Humbrols enamel RLM colours anf the fuselage was fine. The wings however were a nightmare with multiple resprays needed.

Anothe thing I found out (too late to change it) was that the decals are different between the original mid 70s kit, which I have, and the later issue, even though the markings are supposed to be for the same plane. Thus it turned out the underside wing crosses were palced differently and the red ,which don't appear on my comtemporary instruction book, do in the updated one. Hence I've painted the Ks on. Bit of a line on the crossover from RLM 70 to 71, learning all the time!

Next came the weathering which is all new to me. I'm not too happy with it but went with the reference photos I have which show heavy weathering all round. Here's the underside after some washes, panel line marking and exhaust stains. This is where I'd really appreciate feedback on whether I've gone OTT. I've tried to fade the decals with a diluted white coat and dirt and muck is shown collected in crevices via dilute browns/blacks and a trusty airbrush.

20140323_110923_zps6227de99.jpg

Topside, I've done quite a bit of chipping aroung the access panes etc. I wanted to weather the topsides using streaks of oil paints stumped with thinner to simulate wear and fading a la Mr. Jiminez but the thinner left awful white patches on the paint even with two coats of future going on first to protect it. Thi is the best I could come up with after much trial and error. I've put one of my archive photos below it to show the things I was trying to achieve.

camo11_zpsab553be7.jpg

20140323_110935_zps053a7b45.jpg

Lastly for now, here's the engine all mounted and with the exhaust stacks added along with exhaust staining along the fuselage. The Airfix kits gives the option of either having the panels on with a different set of exhaust stacks glued to the panel rather than to the engine or the panels off with the exhausts glued in the right place. The only problem is that the two aren't interchangeable, that is, you can't put the panels on if you choose the exhausts glued to the engine.....unless you do some careful filing and reshaping which is what I did. The result will be on the next update. Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

So, finally, here she is finished (or fouled up or whatever else you want to call it).

I went for a heavily weathered look and I think I've probably overdone it a tad? Still it was a long dry summer in 1940, apparently, and I've tried to reflect that in the dust etc. All in all I'm not too displeased with my first model in 30 years.

Thanks all, HK superfortress next!! :-)

20140405_1255031_zps7e9b86b9.jpg

20140405_1255101_zpscf1dec2e.jpg

Buggerthatwontupload_zps76d0600e.jpg

20140405_1256561_zpsb2fdf73f.jpg

20140405_1256151_zps1c6b1cf0.jpg

20140405_1258251_zps1f28e666.jpg

20140405_1258561_zpsf27c104e.jpg