Jump to content
The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 Hasegawa F-104 E Anybody want to buy a Starfighter ?? Art imitates life ...


Recommended Posts

So ...in an alternative universe I thought I'd join a what if GB...and so will share it over here as well as I don't build LSPs much . 

Cheers 

 

Following the 1957 Defence White Paper’s cancellation of manned aircraft development by the ridiculous Duncan Sandys, (Defence Secretary at the time), many promising UK aircraft projects came to a close. 

As well as wholesale project cancellations, the forced mergers in the UK aircraft industry resulted in English Electric going bankrupt despite having good order books for both Canberra and formally the Lightning. 

By 1960 the policy of “no manned aircraft” is looking increasingly pointless, and the UK is forced to re-evalute.

Industrial espionage by Lockheed, (namely by taking the infamous ‘headless man” pictures from the Duchess of Argyles dubious afternoon activities), then blackmailing Sandys into forcing through a multimillion pound deal to buy 300 of the F104 E (English) for the RAF . 

Using a licence built J79 (as a slap to RR), although with the new Red Top missiles developed for the cancelled Lighting, they entered service in 1964, just 12 months after Starfighters were withdrawn from frontline US service. 

 A step advance over the Gloster Javelin, the 104’s problems of stability and high accident rate also dogged the UK’s fleet. Eric Brown described the Starfighter as a hot ship, that "has to be flown every inch of the way", but recommended developing the supersonic Buccaneer II instead. In service they became known as the 'Jinx Jet' . 

Various upgrades came as Lockheed developed the G variant, and later, the  proposed purchase of F111’s were intended to replace what had been the short term ‘interceptor problem’.  

 With F111’s also cancelled in 1970, 104E’s soldiered onto into the early 1980’s when they were phased out in favour of UK spec F15s. 

 It remains one of the UK’s worst procurement fiascos up until the recent decision to buy the F35 …another Lockheed “one size, fits no one, and costs way too much” effort. 

 As this is a fun / silly build I have forked out for the cheapest lawn dart as opposed to the Italeri offering, it will be OOB, no AM lipstick for this pig, markings will be masked, and missiles made. 

 

Laterz

 

PW 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I built the same old kit 20 years ago with my young son ( his choice) , it was completely unmemorable . 

 

Here is current red peril pencil I'll use as a base. When it gets delivered thought the interwebs from Ebay land , we will commence. 

temp-Image3-M9m8x.avif

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Revell turned up , it was a complete Richard III ...not worth a tube of glue TBH ....so flashed out for the Hasegawa instead ...equally old but probably a better base.......... yes......... will be buying the Italeri by next Friday no doubt. :blush:

243043-14481-73-pristine-jpg.avif

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So apart from the EE Lightning being the finest fighter ever for shure., I have a soft spot for the old Widowmaker.

 

Back ...no ...........way back when ...no even further back please ......, in my trippy dippy psychedelic youth , my love of prog rock was strong , and this particular album has happy memories .

As far as I know it's the only album soley dedicated to an aircraft model ( don't correct me if I'm wrong) , 

 

temp-Imagej-DCv-Rw.avif

 

Linky link 

 

.......so for your delight and delectation , please join me down the rabbit hole of 1974 and the magnificence of Bob Calvert's / Hawkwind's meanderings  .... or just sit along for a build log and ignore the music ...it probably hasn't dated well. . Either way I'll be singing along . Enjoy ... or not ....

 

 

Laterz 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

So apart from the EE Lightning being the finest fighter ever for shure., I have a soft spot for the old Widowmaker.

 

Back ...no ...........way back when ...no even further back please ......, in my trippy dippy psychedelic youth , my love of prog rock was strong , and this particular album has happy memories .

As far as I know it's the only album soley dedicated to an aircraft model ( don't correct me if I'm wrong) , 

 

temp-Imagej-DCv-Rw.avif

 

Linky link 

 

.......so for your delight and delectation , please join me down the rabbit hole of 1974 and the magnificence of Bob Calvert's / Hawkwind's meanderings  .... or just sit along for a build log and ignore the music ...it probably hasn't dated well. . Either way I'll be singing along . Enjoy ... or not ....

 

 

Laterz 

Why did I expect anything by Bob Calvert and Viv Stanshall to be anything other than bloody weird.......

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Why did I expect anything by Bob Calvert and Viv Stanshall to be anything other than bloody weird.......

Fun fact - Viv Stanshall grew up in Shillingford , which is where we used to live till last year. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice bit of trivia. He was one of the great British eccentrics. 

I did dig out The Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse for a listen last night after seeing his name. Hadn't listened to it in years and it was a nice shock - Urban Spaceman and Can Blue Men Sing the Whites still make me laugh

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Nice bit of trivia. He was one of the great British eccentrics. 

I did dig out The Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse for a listen last night after seeing his name. Hadn't listened to it in years and it was a nice shock - Urban Spaceman and Can Blue Men Sing the Whites still make me laugh

He was one of a kind ......& like them all died way too young ..

                          .. seems like a cue for the second track of the album ...:)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So.......... Hasegogo from 1976 ....think 1/72 but thicker .....boy this one's thick . Quick to build though. Going together with ease ....

 

Also - Spent 3 hours playing with my Silhouette todays , I might be able to make some roundals now . 

 

#full1970s

 

temp-Imagej-GLx4-S.avif

 

More music though ....so that can't be all bad . 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So hows the fit Womble ???

 

Well here’s the old fupstick in my Seam Persuader 3000 TM , just getting ready to apply the Bondo. I’ve found about 20lbs is just right to tighten the fuse together. CA ‘n Zip kicker round 3. 

Reckon a few coats and we should be good to rock. Like how the glue imitates life ...

 

temp-Imagec-BUOBh.avif

 

Also Cockpit stuff was done 

 

 

temp-Image-Nus1y5.avif

 

temp-Image-F4ob-E2.avif

 

 

Meanwhile …more in the dark saga ….

 

 

 

Laterz 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • PanzerWomble changed the title to 1:32 Hasegawa F-104 E Anybody want to buy a Starfighter ?? Then buy an acre of ground .....& wait .

I don't feel fear or panic ,

Nothing brings me down 

I'm an aero-spaceage warrior 

I fly sideways through sound ...........

 

 

 

It's in one big lump after a days work , 4 layers of primer , a lot of filing , sanding and filling . Overall not a bad fit but needs to be good for the NMF .

 

Drying in the upper atmosphere ....

 

temp-Imagec-Tv-Hxb.avif

 

Ah .........but how does she handle ??

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

I don't feel fear or panic ,

Nothing brings me down 

I'm an aero-spaceage warrior 

I fly sideways through sound ...........

 

 

 

It's in one big lump after a days work , 4 layers of primer , a lot of filing , sanding and filling . Overall not a bad fit but needs to be good for the NMF .

 

Drying in the upper atmosphere ....

 

temp-Imagec-Tv-Hxb.avif

 

Ah .........but how does she handle ??

 

 

 

 

Nice bit of the Right Stuff.

You've got me digging more old albums out of the cupboard now!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GusMac said:

Nice bit of the Right Stuff.

You've got me digging more old albums out of the cupboard now!

If you play it ...they will come , good catch on the lyrics 😀 

 

I first heard this when a mate of mine came around to my student house with a copy (the same one I still own) in the week Bob Calvert died. ( Aug 1988) I was big into Hawkwind but not familiar with this album . We wedged the speakers into opposite corners of the front room , dropped , and then lay on our backs listening as the whole bloody Luftwaffe flew around the room for about ...oh....must have been 12 hours .. Absolutely Frakkin' Glorious . In no way do I ever describe my youth as "mispent ".

Never saw Jim Bloom again after 1991, do wonder if he's still kicking around somewhere wondering what sod pinched his album .🥷

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • PanzerWomble changed the title to 1:32 Hasegawa F-104 E Anybody want to buy a Starfighter ?? Art imitates life ...

It died 

Living up to it's realife subject this one crashed and burned. After three hours of patchworking metalics yesterday , TBH wasn't really working out very well , so stopped and then gingerly held it vertically whilst peeling the making tape off as the paint was still soft ....and .....slipped out of my fingers hit the desk and the wing snapped off cleanly . 

 

Given how thin the wing is , and the angle of the join , pinning it looks to be a real PITA even if it's doable . 

 

So the thing lived up to it's reputation as a lawn dart and back in a box it goes. I can sit there for a while until I decide if I can be arsed with it again . 

 

IMG-4672.jpg

 

Laters 

PW 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...