P-47 Thunderbolt Seatbelt Sets

James H

• Administrators

P-47 Thunderbolt Seatbelt Sets
HGW
Catalogue # See article for price and code
Available from HGW

DSC00601.JPG

If Jugs are what get you going, then HGW sure hasn't forgotten you among their release schedules, with these very latest sets being brought to us in not one, but TWO scales; namely 1:48 and 1:32. Let's take a look at Mr Bobek has created for us here:

The two new sets we have been sent are:

• 148526, P-47D Thunderbolt, 169 Kč
  • 132532, P-47D Thunderbolt, 229 Kč

As both sets are essentially the same, my description of these below will pertain to both releases, with any differences being noted for you.

The P-47 seatbelt sets are presented in HGW's standard, sturdy but attractively letterbox style, re-sealable sleeves, with the micro-fibre textile parts and photo etch fret on display in the front of the package, and the instructions packed into the rear. Again, and as is now standard, the textile parts are laser cut, meaning you only need to snip the small tags holding them into position on their carrying sheet.

DSC00602.JPG

DSC00604.JPG

The method that HGW uses for printing is exceptional. These were always very good, but since their products have been laser-cut, the printing process seems to have ramped up significantly, with the individual parts looking incredibly real. The laser-cutting process includes two new dimensions to these sets too. Firstly, localized heating caused by the laser actually creates a warm shadow around the edges of the parts, which looks like shading. I absolutely love this effect. Secondly, HGW have used the laser to etch stitching into the various straps. This is quite difficult to see without applying a wash, but rest assured, it is there, in both scales.

As you remove each part from the sheet, you'll need to peel away the backing paper, and then scrunch the parts into a ball until they become pliable. Once you're there, you open them out and assemble, along with the photo etch parts, with CA, before applying a gloss varnish, wash, matt varnish and some dry-brushing to finish off.

DSC00605.JPG

DSC00606.JPG

A small fret of Eduard-produced photo-etch parts are included. Whilst the 1:32 set has enough parts for a single construction, the 1:48 contains a good number of extra parts. This is probably due to the minimum fret size, and the fact that you're probably more than likely to lose parts from the smaller set. In essence, it's all good that you do have spares to fall back onto.

Instructions are printed onto a card at the rear of the packet, with both PE and textile parts being colour coded for ease of assembly, and the drawings themselves being very easy to understand. You certainly shouldn't have any issue in assembling these, except for any possible dexterity problems you might have, and I know I have a few!

DSC00607.JPG

Conclusion
Both of these are simple sets, which for minimal cost will elevate the cockpit of your Jug to the very next level. Other seatbelt solutions pale into insignificance compared with these, and I can recommended them without any hesitation whatsoever.

Very highly recommended

James H

Our sincere thanks to HGW for the sample sets seen here. To purchase directly, click the links in the review article.

hgwnew.jpg