The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/35 Dora bargain

NigelR32

OK, I'm at home now, so can show you what I mean with some pictures I've found on the internet....

The Soar 1/35 kit is supplied with four rail cars like these, each with 10 axles. this is wrong, the thing would never be able to negotiate a turn in the track!!

10axlecars1.jpg

I've borrowed this picture from Michael's great build on a German site. Here we can see one of the cars has been cut in half and a panel has been added at the rear. the horizontal arrow denotes the "front" of the car.

Carcutinhalf.jpg

As we can see, the pivot point is forward of the third axle, whereas it should be directly above it. When looking at photo's of the real thing, we can see the staggered pitch of the axles between the two cars. if we don't change the pivot point on the soar model, the axle pitch will remain constant.

So, moving onto the HB kit... in this next picture, again borrowed for discussion only.. we can see the pivot points are well toward the middle of the cars, but the pivot points on the second tier structure are also too close together, which lessens the error on the overall appearance of the model

HBcars.jpg

Here is the HB kit built up. You can clearly see the cars are too far apart, but at least you get the correct total number of cars in the HB kit!!

HBcarsfitted.jpg

I started looking into this issue because I noticed a big difference between the two available kits and thought "which one is wrong"? well I now know the answer.. both of 'em!!

So, I have asked a question and answered it myself, but, I would like some dimensions please if anyone has them...

Hello everyone, I've just joined the forum today..... I live in Australia and am retired. Over the next couple of days I'll devote some time to my profile and I'll load some photos of my completed 1/35 Dora rail gun that is part of my WIP diorama made up of 50+ models in a German rail marshalling yard. I pretty much built the Dora out of the box and only concentrated on correcting defects in the manufacturing of the kit rather then dwell on inaccuracies in scale or design. Believe me even out of the box the kit is not for the faint hearted and still took me 6 months to build. So give me a couple of days and I'll get some photos up. Cheers, Bob

• Like 1

Hi Bob.. :respect:

I think I've seen your dio over on Military modelling, and am really looking forward to seeing it here. please post a million images with full how to articles on all your scratchbuilt projects!!

Welcome to the friendliest site on the planet..

Looking forward to this. Just photographed a huge duo at the Winter Fest in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. Going to guess it had 20 vehicles and 30 figures. Bob, why don't you go to the "Say Hello" forum and introduce yourself. Welcome!!

Well, I was going to attach some photos but for the life of me I can't seem to do it. I created a photobucket account and followed the instruction in LSM's help section but I get to where you paste the photo into the URL window that pops up in the reply section and when I do nothing happens.? The URL shows up but no photo downloads.? I'm sure it's me that's the problem but I'm buggered if I know what I'm doing wrong.?  Any help would be appreciated....  Cheers,  Bob

Well, I was going to attach some photos but for the life of me I can't seem to do it. I created a photobucket account and followed the instruction in LSM's help section but I get to where you paste the photo into the URL window that pops up in the reply section and when I do nothing happens.? The URL shows up but no photo downloads.? I'm sure it's me that's the problem but I'm buggered if I know what I'm doing wrong.?  Any help would be appreciated....  Cheers,  Bob

Bob- I "click/copy" the "direct" link and not the "img" on the PB page. Only way I can seem to get it to work.

Hi Bob,

I click on the bottom, 'img' link on PB. It should turn yellow and say "copied". Come back to your opened page in LSM, right click where you want the image and click paste. A window will appear the first time, asking if you want to allow the file to share or something like that.. click yes and the attachment will be pasted on the page.