The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Wingnut Wings Roland D.VIa....

Just cleaning my office at Work and just found my Roland that I started back in 2011... Its near done so I thought I would copy my posting of my WIP from the defunct Aerodrome Model section, and finish it off!

So here is the cut and paste of my postings from 2011...

Here is my next WW1 subject that I will build online, an Roland D.VIa freshly plucked from the WnW Warehouse.

Rolandbox.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to share some tips and techniques I use, and will help out some of the new comers to WW1 modelling scene.

I am also a new comer to this era of aviation as my preferred subjects normally are from the Second World War.... This is my sixth WW1 painted & Rigged build, so if I can do it... I am sure that everyone else can!

My chosen scheme for the Roland will be Otto Kissenberth black machine with the Edelweiss painted on the fuselage sides

kissenberth.jpg

Now I'm off to cut some plastic off the sprues!

I finally got a few spare moments to cut out the interior parts and prep them so they can receive their base colours for the wooden components.

build001.jpg

I leave the parts attached to parts of the sprue for easier handing of the parts during the paint process. Normally I try to leave them attached to areas that will be covered up during the assembly. If this can't be done, I will just go back and touch up the areas later on in the build process.

My technique for wood graining is pretty simple and very easy to do. Its very similar to a technique that armour modellers use for weathering.

I start off spraying the base colour to the part/s, this case I have used Tamiya's XF-59 Desert Yellow.
build002.jpg

Next I thin down the oil colour with some turpentine to a very watery thinned mixture.
build003.jpg

I apply the watery mixture the to the part to tint the base colour.
build004.jpg

Then I apply dots of the oil paint onto random areas of the part and brush them back and forth to get the grain look onto the part. You can add different colour dots of oil paint to achieve dark grains.
build005.jpg

It should look something like this one you have finished.
build006.jpg

build007.jpg

build008.jpg

Since the oil colours have been thinned drying time is a lot quicker. Normally I find that it is tacky dry in 15-30 minutes and 24-48 hours dry to handle. You can also cheat and use a hairdryer to speed up the drying time. I normally do this method and will spray a clear varnish over the parts to seal them in around 4 hours after using the hairdryer.

• Like 3

The fuselage has been sprayed with Tamiya XF-76 and been given a oil wash Raw Umber.
build017.jpg

Cockpit components have been built up and painted as per the Roland instructions. These will get a oil wash also once I have varnished the parts with a clear semi-gloss.
build015.jpg

build014.jpg

build013.jpg

build012.jpg

I used stainless steel wire for the control cables and rigging in the cockpit area, and attached by using PVA/white glue. I got this from my local LHS, but I believe you can get it from Smallparts.com. I also add a small amount of tape to an end of the wire, so its easy to locate if you drop it.
build016.jpg

The harness has been added to the seat and awaiting a coat of XF-68. I will use this colour to undercoat the PE Harness and then brush paint them later on.
build011.jpg

Engine assembly has began and will have a coat of metallic paint shortly
build010.jpg

build009.jpg

I sprayed a coat of Tamiya Nato Brown for the seat back. And then applied a burnt umber wash for wood grain, but it doesn't really show, So I think I will redo it with a bit of black oil paint added...

build020.jpg

I was going to add some detail to the engine. But since most of the engine detail is hidden away behind the Fuselage half's, once they are on, I decided just to stick to out of the box... So the engine has been sprayed with Mr Color Super Metallic SM05 Super Titanium.

build019.jpg

build018.jpg

I don't use the Tamiya Metallic colours as I find them very grainy once they have been sprayed on. I only used the Metallic colours from Mr Hobby or the Games Workshop Citadel range.

forgot to mention as well that I do spray the Games Workshop Citadel range through my Airbrush. In the past I have used the Tamiya acrylic thinners to do so, but now I just use Isopropyl alcohol for all acrylics that I spray. I find this cheaper in the long run as a 4L of Isopropyl alcohol costs NZD$40-50 and a container of Tamiya Thinners is NZD$10-17 for 250ml's.

While the seat and the engine were drying, I started to roll the cooling jackets for the Spandau.

PE Fret has annealed as per the article on the Hints and tips area on WNW website.
build021.jpg

Plastic part cleaned up and awaiting the jacket..
build022.jpg

The jacket part is placed around a piece of sprue that is the correct diameter, and rolled around it. You could use a drill bit or anything that is solid to do this.

build023.jpg

build024.jpg

build025.jpg

The jacket is removed and from the sprue and attached to the spandau plastic part, by using a drop of CA/Super glue on toothpick/cocktail stick.
build026.jpg

and the same is done again on the front to attach the ring sight to the cooling jacket
build027.jpg

And it's ready for a coat of paint!

Engine is all painted up and and ready to be dropped into interior framing and have the fuselage halfs buttoned up. The engine was painted as per colour callouts in the instructions and the black areas had a dry brush of XF-63 German Grey to made some of the detail stand out. I just need to paint the valve springs and add a wash but these can be done later on...

build029.jpg

build028.jpg

I added a flat clear coat to the seat and the wood grain that I applied earlier stood out more. So I am going to leave it as it is and continue on. The Harness was painted with XF-57 Buff and sprayed on a heavy coat of X-19 Smoke to give that worn dirty look.

build030.jpg

build031.jpg

Interior parts ready to be glued to the fuselage half's

build032.jpg

build033.jpg

build034.jpg

Halfs dry fitted -

build035.jpg

build036.jpg

Now the fuselage halfs are all buttoned up, now the fun part I love, adding colour to the exterior... Engine parts are all taped up and cockpit jammed with packing foam.

Roland037.jpg

The first thing I had to do was to remove the inspection hatch cover on the front of the fuselage as per Kissenberth scheme, this was done with one of my favorite tools... Hasegawa's Tritool flat blade chisel.

Roland038.jpg

I have started off painting the white on the tail area, I used Mr Color flat white Lacquer paint.

Roland039.jpg

I love this paint range as it drys very quickly and rock hard. Within 5 minutes of spraying you can throw oil wash onto it. But the only down side that it is hard to find in some countries.

• Like 2

The white sections are masked up with Tamiya tape ready for a coat of Black for the fuselage...

Roland040.jpg

I have used Tamiya's X-18 Semi-gloss black for the fuselage, but it has been weathered down with some XF15 Flesh to give a worn/faded look.

Roland041.jpg

Close up so you can see the tinted difference of the Fuselage and engine, which is straight from the X-18 Semi Gloss bottle.

Roland043.jpg

Tape removed... A few touch ups are required!

Roland042.jpg

Getting back to some of the smaller parts... The Spandau's... I have drilled a small hole at the bottom of each Spandau and glued a toothpick to them, makes the spray painting process a whole lot easier..

Roland044.jpg

They both have been sprayed with Tamiya X-18 Semi Gloss Black, both look pretty glossy, but they are still wet.. Once dry they will be dry brushed with some grey to make the details pop out.

Roland045-1.jpg

The fuselage has been sprayed with Mr Color Semi Gloss clear Lacquer and started the decal process.

Roland046.jpg

Roland047.jpg

I used the hairdyer technique to get the Edelweiss decals to sit down nicely.

Roland048.jpg

I did have a small mishap over the weekend involving Sprue cutters and my three year old son.....

Roland049.jpg

Luckily, I was able to stop him before he cut all the way through the Fuselage! So the only damage was the internal frame of the cockpit.

• Like 2

I was last working on the Spandu's, to recap they have been sprayed with X-18 Semi Gloss Black.

Roland045-1.jpg

and they received a dry brushing of XF-56 Metallic Grey to bring out the details and worn look.

roland051.jpg

Now too the fun part... Lozenge!

I started out by painting the wings with a CDL colour, this case Tamiya's XF-57 Buff and clear vanish over the top of that. And applied the Lozenge as per the instructions...

roland052.jpg

roland053.jpg

roland054.jpg

I started to take photos for the hair dyer technique... but they came out horrible, so I will do them again with the top wing...

All the smaller parts are now painted, and ready to be attached at some point...

roland055.jpg

And a quick dry fit to make sure they fit...

roland057.jpg

roland058.jpg

A word of warning.... Be careful around the Photo Etch jackets of the Spandu's! The can damage pretty easily!

roland056.jpg

I don't know what I did, but I will have to remove the squashed jacket and re-roll and paint it! sad.gif

• Like 1