The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Need sizes of code letters, Brit, luftwaffe, cross' & codes

happy1

I just need the different sizes of the letters and numbers that's the Brits and German's used and the sizes of the insignias. I know that I'm starting to be a PITA but thanks all the same.

Paul

I think you need to be a LOT more specific, otherwise no-one is going to answer with all the sizes for all the insignia etc

So, what aircraft are you looking to make, and that will help people to answer?

Is this to make your own masks, or to identify which masks (or decals) to buy?

And so on...

Cheers

Nick

• Members

Paul,

Nick pretty much nailed it, we need a little more info to help.  The sizes of numbers and codes on LW aircraft varied considerably based on the type of aircraft, etc.  There's just too many possibilities to give you a generic answer.

Ya I Guess I was Kinda vauge I want to make my own paint masks now that JOE  from SCALE PRECISION is no longer making paint masks I'm going to try and make my own mind you I said "TRY" I got a Silhouette Portrait cutter and up graded to Silhouette Studio,I mostly model fighters US Brit Ger Axisis allies most of the popular ones unless someone asks me to build something for them, been happing alot lately but most that I build is P-51s 47s 40s 39s Spits Hurricanes Tyhpons  Tempests FW-190s bf-109s I hope that helps I'm such a dunce when it comes to trying to find something on the web, Thanks in advance Guys.

Paul

I doubt if you realise the vast scope of what you're seeking, but I'll try to give you some idea (and I'm only conversant with British sizes.)

For the first part of their lives Spitfires and Hurricanes carried a vast array of different roundels, on the fuselage and under the wings (upper wings are a whole different ball game, anyway.) Fin flashes changed mid-war as well.

Fuselage roundels depended on the depth of the fuselage, so could be 3' or 4' across; code letters were also fuselage size-dependent, being 4' on bombers, 3' on medium-sized (like the Beaufighter) and 2' on fighters (though Spitfires were permitted 20" due to their thin fuselages.) As well as differing in height, letters varied in width, and thickness of brush-strokes.

Serial numbers were usually 8", but 4" on RN aircraft.

Upper-wing roundels are a game all of their own, since there was a formula:-

Take the wingspan (clipped or extended tips didn't count,) and divide by 3; take that measurement, and measure from the centre-line of the fuselage, and you have the position of the centre of your roundel; now fill the available space, without encroaching on the ailerons, hinges, yellow leading-edge stripe, or de-icer boots.

If you can find a copy of a book "Camouflage & Markings," by James Goulding & Robert Jones, published by Ducimus Books in 1970, you'll find 21 aircraft inside, and it'll give you a good grounding; there was also a series of pamphlets, with the same title, which covered the same subjects. As the book is so old, it doesn't have an ISBN, sorry.

Edgar

Edgar, Thank you I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be simple this is just the information I was looking for thank you again I will look for this book maybe I'll find it at the library.

Paul

nmayhew, mikester, Edgar want to thank you guy's for helping me out I've found almost 90% of what I was looking for, Now as or should I say if I get proficient at this venture maybe you three would like to try a few samples, what'ya say huh I'll let you know when I think I'm at that point. Thanks again guy's

Paul

• Like 1

• Members

nmayhew, mikester, Edgar want to thank you guy's for helping me out I've found almost 90% of what I was looking for, Now as or should I say if I get proficient at this venture maybe you three would like to try a few samples, what'ya say huh I'll let you know when I think I'm at that point. Thanks again guy's

Paul

Let me know how it goes for sure, I've been thinking of investing in one of these machines too.  I really prefer masks to decals whenever I can use them.

Let me know how it goes for sure, I've been thinking of investing in one of these machines too.  I really prefer masks to decals whenever I can use them.

I certainty will although I've just made some masks for myself I don't think I'll ever go back to decals, I'll keep you posted.

Paul