The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

James H

• Administrators

1:32 Do 335 Pfeil

EagleCals
Catalogue EC#164
Available from Eagle Editions for $19.50

DSC04650.jpg

For me personally, if there ever was a decal set that arrived at just the right time, it’s this particular one from Eagle Editions. Last year, I built a test shot of the HK Models Do 335B-2 ‘Heavy Fighter’ for the Military Illustrated Modeller magazine, and recently I began work on the standard Do 335A-0/1 which is slated for release later this year. As this is a test shot too, I have no decals. Luckily for me, this new decal release is also designed for this particular variant.

As with all Eagle Editions releases, this is packed into a small zip-lock wallet, with the main instructions being folded, and also forming the product image page. Also inside the package is another sheet with some reference photos, and TWO decal sheets.

DSC04651.jpg

The front sheet illustrates the profiles for the FOUR schemes that are possible in this pack, published in a smaller format. Actually, I am not entirely correct in saying that only four schemes are available. One of these is for the heavily weathered, captured machine in US markings. This is the one which resides at the NASM. Even though the scheme shows this in those markings, it also carries obliterated Luftwaffe markings, and as these are supplied in an untarnished form, you can opt to build this as it flew with the Germans. So, in effect……FIVE schemes (or at least 4 ½ schemes!)

DSC04652.jpg

When you fold out the main sheet, strangely enough, two of the pages show the four profiles again, in larger scale, with their decal placement codes. Both pages are totally identical. On one facing page, some historical and colour notation is supplied for each machine. I note that the underside colour is given as RLM65. I built my previous Do 335 with an RLM76 underside, which I thought to be correct, but this tells me otherwise. As I ran out of RLM76 though, I’m not complaining. I know that Eagle Editions sets are meticulously researched, with this set being aided by the talents of Marc Proulx.

DSC04653.jpg

All schemes are very similar with the exception of one machine which has a natural metal finish to the rear fuel tank panel. Another machine is shown to have no forward firing guns over the cowl, so you will need to modify the kit for this scheme. However, this is a very simple modification. If you choose to build the captured machine, you will need to add some heavy weathering to the standard Luftwaffe scheme, including of course, those overpainted markings. One image I have seen of this also shows it without its undercarriage doors, so that is always an option too.

DSC04654.jpg

The rear of the sheet shows the placement of the wing decals, and unlike the B-2 kit, none of the underside wing codes run into the main gear door areas, so this will be a little easier to complete. However, you still have the rear engine doors to negotiate for the fuselage codes and Balkenkreuz. These are supplied as intact items, and will need slicing if you wish to pose those engine doors in an open position.

A single sheet is also included, showing two black & white photographs of two machines from the chosen schemes. Lots of very good weathering and diorama ideas can be gleaned from these, and again, it’s Marc Proulx who supplied the images. Colour profiles are created by Simon Schatz.

DSC04655.jpg

DSC04656.jpg

Eagle Editions continue to choose Cartograf to print their decals, and we really have no complaints there. Printing is amazingly thin, but with good, solid colour and minimal carrier film. The decals also have a high gloss finish to them, plus, they are in perfect register. All of the various serials, codes and the American markings, are found on the first sheet. With one machine, it can’t be determined whether the code suffix is ‘PN’ or ‘PO’. In this case, decals are provided for both options. A small suite of stencils is also provided. I don’t think the Do 335 had many stencils anyway, so these are probably pretty complete. The second sheet carries the German markings, including swastikas. However, these are two part decals, so escape the ironically fascist laws that some post-fascist governments now employ. Thankfully, Eagle have created these with a complete outline, making it easy to properly position. You then add the central portion to complete the nasty Nazi symbol.

The machines depicted in this release are:

• Do 335A-02, VG+PH, W.Nr.240102, December 1945 (captured)
  • Do 335A-02, VG+PH, W.Nr.240102, April 1945 (under German use)
  • Do 335A-0, W.Nr.240105, München-Riem, April 1945
  • Do 335A-0, VG+PN (PO?), W.Nr.240108, December 1944
  • Do 335A-1, W.Nr.240162, Oberpfaffenhofen, April 1945

DSC04657.jpg

DSC04658.jpg

Conclusion
As I said, for me, these are perfectly timed. In fact, until the HK and ZM releases of the Do 335A-0/1 later this year, we won’t see too many of these appear in 1:32 projects, but remember that Eagle also sell these in 1:48 and 1:72 scales too. Production is excellent, and despite the lack of general variety for the Do 335, I think these particular choices are inspired. The accompanying historical and scheme notation is better than anything you generally see on the market at the moment.

Very highly recommended

My sincere thanks to Eagle Editions for sending this sample to us. To buy directly, click THIS link.

James H.

Eaglebig_blue_copy.jpg

Just a short FWIW...

Stammkennzeichen for W.Nr.240108 would be VG+PO. This is comfirmed by counting forward from '102 / VG+PH and eliminating the "J" that would normally be found after the 240104 code from the sequence. It appears that Dornier, like many other German manufacturers of the time, preferred not to use the "J" in their codes (IYKWIM). This would also make the last letter of 240105 an "L", and not "K" as referred to in the instructions. However, it seems that after 240102, Stammkennzeichen were not used on the A-0 batch anyway, there are no signs of such on contemporary photos of W.Nr.240107, which was extensively photographed at the time.

S