The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fe.2b early

Ssasho0

Hello,

this is just to show my intentions to build the Fee for the GB. The kit is unstarted yet, I just cleaned the sprues with warm soapy water yesterday and will be starting in the next few days.

At the moment I'm strongly leaning toward scheme C - FE.2b 6341 "Zanzibar #1" mainly due to the assymetrical wing painting and the different ailerons paint.

Best reagrds,

Sasho

wingnutwings32014reviewrb_1_zps4cwoqhgc.

Untitled_zps5nao30ix.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

Love it!! I really like the early FE. 2B.... I have the late type but I also should get the early one!!!

Nice scheme!! One of my favourite! :)

• 4 months later...
Hello,

well I finished my already started projects - 1/48 Salmson/Otsu 1 and a 1/24 Ferrari 250 GTO, that I was working on simultaniously and now it is time for the Group Build project.

For some time I want to build a pusher and specifically the Fe2b. This aircraft is so.....ugly..erm no,....so beautifull that I just have to work on one, no matter if I go slightly mad with rigging :)

I was wondering between scheme C and D and finally decided on C because of the fancy asymetriccal wing painting. 

I started some time ago and here are the first pictures, there is still a lot of work to be done before actually closing teh nascelle, but I was testfitting today, when decided to make some photos. SO here are the first pictures, as usually any comments, constructive critism or questions are most welcome!

Best regards,

Sasho

Fe2b%206341_zpsoez869nr.jpg

SAM_5151_zpszzstt9mo.jpg

SAM_5149_zpsh5xke78u.jpg

SAM_5155_zpsjfhdasko.jpg

SAM_5153_zpsyvgbhihb.jpg

SAM_5148_zpskhvaqmdl.jpg

SAM_5154_zpsnd3c2tzg.jpg

SAM_5157_zps9cwok96n.jpg

SAM_5156_zps8rv84qvc.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
A small update from me, recently I have been travelling and there was not much time for working on the model, but I was able to do some things. First I painted the inside of the nascelle, finish the instrumental panel and run the cables inside, I started working on the engine (still on very early stage) and now I'm wondering how much time I want to spend on it. I was goingt o use HGW's seatbelts, but the are way smaller than the original ones and from pictures they seem smaller than they have to be - more like 1:48 scale, so I decided to go with the original WnW PE and paint them. The result and a comparison picture bellow. The next step is going to be to paint the wings and the tail, while working on the engine, so I can attach them immidiately after I close the nascelle. Aviattic's Phelon&Moore bike is also nearly ready and will be addition to the Fe.2b :)

Here are some pictures.

Any questions, comments or constructive criticism are most welcome!

best regards,

Sasho

SAM_5312_zpspz5jg8nu.jpg

SAM_5313_zpsii0jwkaw.jpg

SAM_5317_zpsvnlixmgv.jpg

SAM_5318_zpszcqkbo7u.jpg

SAM_5323_zpsfigxbljt.jpg

Hello,

Lately I started doing some test fitting of the interior and the nascelle and the engine, some detailing in the cockpit and the observer's place. Nothing major, just small details here and there. The crew's area is quite visible, so it is good to be a bit busier.

SAM_5336_zpsafi18frc.jpg

wnwfe.2b%20cockpit_zpsimopuz6l.png

SAM_5337_zps8puy93yd.jpg

I also started working on the engine . Unfortunately for me, this a/c was fitted with the 120hp version of the Beardmnore engine, unlike the Vintage Aviator's replica, that have the 160hp version, which means that pictures and data are way more scarce for 120hp. Still if anyone decide to detail it, here is a usefull link

I have the aviattic's set of priming cups for beardmore engine, but I'm not sure if they should be used on the 120hp version or not? If someone can help I will be gratefull!and here are the pictures of my attempt at detailing so far. Ofcourse the work is still quite early and there are many more things to be added, but I'm working on it.

SAM_5334_zpsvlguzmot.jpg

SAM_5332_zpsmt65wxsd.jpg

SAM_5335_zpsedkempcq.jpg

SAM_5340_zpskzo44ca0.jpg

SAM_5328_zpsumeqoqul.jpg

SAM_5333_zpsy5b0b6qq.jpg

• Like 1

from the archive photos on WnW website, it is clearly visible, that at least 6341 at the time of capture by the Germans, doesn't had them (erm..did I used the English tense right in the previous sentence? Probbaly not, but how shoul it be formulated?). On another hand, every picture of different engine I see, shows some minor differencies with the rest. Probably some 120hp engines had them, some doesn't. For me the important thing is that my particular Fe.2b was without them.
Yesterday I was working on staining the engine and maybe I got a little too far, but as can be seen by pictures, those engines were leaking heavilly so it is not that far from the original and it works for me! I changed the pushing rods with 0,5mm brass rods, that were chemically blackened. The original plastic was 0,7mm and too thick I think. I also added the spark wires and I'm moving to the manifold now. 
Any comemnts, quations, reccomendations or constructive criticism are most welcome!

Best regards,
Sasho

Untitled2_zpsvda2cudp.jpg

Untitled_zps5zdm5arr.png

IMG_0651_zpsbfvqdfqx.jpg

IMG_0647_zpszavke9hq.jpg

Sasho - I'm really loving this build, not sure if I caught it but what paints are you using for the metalic colours they look fantastic!

Also what did you use to blacken the push rods?

Hi James,

thanks for the nice words :) I also follow your builds and must say thy are awesome. The fish you are working on now is just...gorgeous!

Regarding the paints, I use Alclad II airbrushed, Mr. Hobby Color metalizers (not acrylic) both airbrushed and with a regular brush and AK interactive true metal brush painted. I don't mix them, but make layers, usually without buffing between them. At the end I buff them and the colours blend, this gives way morerealistic look then any of the paints used by its own. I think Bertl (Umlaufmotor) have written a tutorial somewhere on realistic metal effects and I am just using his technique.

For the blackening of the rods I used Master and Uschi Van der Rosten's Burnishing agent. This thing blackens brass and copper (coloured metals), but not white metals like steel, Ni-Silver aloy or similar. Still it is an awesome product and gives effect that I can't recreate with paints. Working with it is super easy and it is reusable, so after use you just return it back to the jar. Eventually it gets weaker with the usage, but I'm using it for over a year now and there are no signs of becoming weaker :) I also don't dilute it and usually the parts needs two 5-10mins soaks in it. I buff it with a tissue a bit after the first one, so some of the blackening fells and throw it in the liquid again for 5-10mins more, buff it again and just glue it. I strongly reccomend it!

IMG_0653_zpsk70eicyg.jpg

If you have more questions let me know :)

bets regards,

Sasho

I closed the nascelle and attached the undercarriage. With this the first external rigging lines were put at their place.....more to follow....many, many more! All the metal parts were sprayed with Alclad Stainless Steel, the chipping fluid, green colour by Mr. Color and then the actual chipping. Maybe a went a bit too far on the armored plate, but I like it :). I chipped the undercarriage according to the archiving pictures available at WnW website and found around the web. The green was toned with lightwer and darker shades and weathered with different brown washes. The white and black stripe was masked and sprayed as I wasn't able to make the decal look good, so in the end I just sprayed it. I will continue with the exterior detaild and the wings, stay tuned!

As usually any comments, advices, constructive criticism or questions are most welcome!

PS: I just saw that a piece of the engine got unglued ... I have to fix it!

SAM_5364_zpsafa0zxyr.jpg

SAM_5366_zpspltfmkzu.jpg

SAM_5367_zpsujp2wncx.jpg

SAM_5368_zpstniymtr0.jpg

SAM_5369_zps9dsnrhzc.jpg

• Administrators

Wow!!! How the hell this one just passed me???? 

Sasho, awesome work here!! The engine just turn out quite good! and love the interior! 

The paint job is really something, but now the rigging.... Keep`t coming!!

Please finish it in time!! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

and thank you for the good words!

It is time for a new update, after the engine and the fuselage I painted the wings, those things are big and have a lot of struts and bits. I have the external details PE freat and intend to use it. SO I removed all the applicable details from the wings and painted them with Tamiya and Mr.Hobby Color acrylics. There were several layers with different shades of every color for variability. A gloss coat, the decals and a semi gloss coat followed.

The struts (not shown on a picture) and the tail frame followed, painted again like the cockpit with oils over acrylics. Speaking for the nascelle, I decided to scratch some minor details as an exercise. I think those turned good.

I also started the rigging preparation and in the following days the real rigging will commence.

As usual any comments, question, reccomendations or constructive criticism are most welcome!

Best regards,

Sasho

SAM_5403_zpshgbhejhe.jpg

SAM_5401_zpsxgrjerer.jpg

SAM_5400_zpsfdbmapmh.jpg

SAM_5394_zpsdyk14xxl.jpg

strut%201%20of%201_zpscdj7etec.jpg

side%20things%201%20of%201_zpsae9vcqxm.j

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys and gals,

Merry Christmass and happy new year, I wish all the best to everyone and their families!

There was no update for quite some time as I was working on the rigging and it is nearly done - I have to attach the elerons, the tail and the steering cables connecting them :) Then the armament and the tail skid nd it will be finished!

Here are the latest pictures:

strut%201%20of%2010_zps5qfbacga.jpg

strut%204%20of%2010_zpsc3a3moc8.jpg

strut%205%20of%2010_zpsmsh9xdlv.jpg

strut%209%20of%2010_zpszuo6adal.jpg

strut%207%20of%2010_zpslwgywclj.jpg

strut%206%20of%2010_zpsi7xpvela.jpg

strut%2010%20of%2010_zps0vfk5bze.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello and Happy New Year :),

well the new year came, I got a damn flu and my plan of finishing this build during the holiday went to dust. I was able to just today do some work on the plane and meanwhile my beloved one was able to drop it on the floor and do some damage. The worst is on the undercarriage, where the "fork" for the front wheel is missing and I can't find it. I will have to scratch something or order a new parts from WnW....well I will try scratching it first. There were some damage on the struts, but I was able to repair it somewhat, not fully but good enough. Well this is a good excuse to get a new one, probably the late version.

What is left - the horizontal stabilizer and tail boom rigging, few more lines on the front, attaching the guns, scratching the front wheel holder and the propeller. I plan to carve it from wood and already glued the 7 laminations, but I didn't found time to actually carve it. Hopefully next week.

As usual any comments, constructive criticism, questions or recomendations are more than welcomed

Best regards,

Sasho

SAM_5449_zpsbizn0mly.jpg

SAM_5442_zpsjkdnem4u.jpg

SAM_5443_zpsbpvxjqgb.jpg

SAM_5445_zps86lfqxom.jpg

SAM_5446_zpseyq3zbux.jpg

SAM_5447_zpsmsndviqw.jpg

Well, it does look fabulous, Sasho. That rigging is fantastic - this must be one of the

most complicated WnW kits in the rigging department, I think.

Nice working stand you've got there. What brand is it? Tamiya ?

I got the stand from some guy on FB, I can check his name if you are interested, just let me know if I should look for it!

• Administrators

Well, it does look fabulous, Sasho. That rigging is fantastic - this must be one of the

most complicated WnW kits in the rigging department, I think.

Nice working stand you've got there. What brand is it? Tamiya ?

George I think is from Vertigo Miniatures! I got one also but not in blue... :) 

Ssasho0 fantastic work!! 

Great to see that exquisite work on the rigging... Love the detail on the wing structs!