The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 WWI Figures from Copper State Models

• Administrators

1:32 WWI Figures

from

Copper State Models

Price tag: between £7.99 to £24.99

IMG_2886_zpsmceu6yix.jpg

Cooper State Model is by no mean, a new name in the hobby. Any modeler knows it and always been associated to WWI, but of course I didn’t know the actual history of Cooer State Models.

The CSM site has a brief history that is quite interesting and well worth the reading.

So here`s goes:

In 1996 my parents decided that they were ready to retire from the family business. Since I was ready to do something else for a living, we sold the company. I had recently got back building models after a 25+ plus year hiatus and decided to try that for a business. I chose the name Copper State Models (CSM) because Arizona is also known as the “Copper State”. The logo is the state’s outline with the state flag inset into it and a Fokker D.VII.

At first I tried building for hire but soon discovered that I was too slow of a builder to make that work! A friend of mine named Bob owned The Model Car Garage (high end model car details) and was doing well with it. He became my mentor in starting CSM. I picked WWI a/c because not everyone and his cousin was doing that subject and I had a real interest in it. This was the beginning of the golden age of WWI a/c modeling. You had Eduard and Toko doing quality plastic kits so I saw a place for high quality details and put CSM in that direction.

The hardest part of getting started was finding the vendors I needed to make the things I couldn’t make myself. Bob from MCG put me in touch with Tim for the PE (Photo-Etched parts- I.S.) artwork. We hit it off real well and he started drawing for me. PEC also came from Bob and for me they are the best PE producer in the business.

Microscale has been doing quality decals for a very long time. They were close, good and willing to work with a small outfit like CSM. Laura and Vickie were absolute jewels to work with.

Marty’s claim to fame was his magnificent hand carved wood props. I was buying props and corresponding with Marty by snail mail (no email then). Marty’s written English was in its learning stages and a friendship developed. When I told Marty about starting CSM, I had in mind selling his props as part of my line. He was agreeable and asked if I would be interested in kit masters. I said “absolutely” and he sent me the Do. D.I kit and that was the beginning of the CSM kit line.

I started advertising in Windsock magazine very early. Ray and I became friends. He reviewed CSM’s products fairly and this was a huge boost to the company. He is one of the greatest supporters of WWI a/c modeling.

Marty and I chose kits together based on interest and available documentation. We tried to pick kits that the “mainstream” model companies wouldn’t do. There was such a wealth of WWI a/c that has never been kitted in 1/48TH scale before for us to choose from. Float/flying boats and 2 seaters were our mainstay.

I enjoyed my time setting up and running CSM. It was a great way to earn a living. With the passing of my parents I decided to retire and sell CSM.

I would like to thank all the great vendors I worked with and my great customers all of whom I enjoyed dealing with. I would especially like to thanks my parents for their help and encouragement without which it never would have happened.

I wish Ilya and Slava good hunting, God’s speed and all the success in the world. I hope they enjoy CSM as much as I did in their new venture. My advice would be to produce a quality product and charge a fair price and you will do well.

Eric R. Hight Copper State Models Founder and Former President

Quite a history and a fantastic boost from the Past…

So into our figures.

Each one comes in a small and sturdy box wrapped in bubbles

IMG_2892_zps4jiy6ul2.jpg

IMG_2893_zpsjv1vosau.jpg

There`s no assembly instructions and no decals for any of the figures.

Every single set is quite simple, and the constructions is one of the best I ever seen in resin figures, being almost done with a little cleaning and perfect fitting.

F32-001 - Russian WWI Pilot

(four resin parts)

IMG_2891_zpsrno5yeue.jpg

The first figure is a Russian WWI Pilot, not quite suitable for WnW models but even thought is a quite welcome in 1:32 class WWI racking

The resin is in medium/light gray.

All the body in one very nicely cast piece and with a separate head and arms.

IMG_2895_zpswg0nahzv.jpg

This figure got no hands. It has a rather relaxed posture, making it very interesting.

IMG_2899_zpscvhfva1o.jpg

The jacket features with the insignia on the sleeves and the buttons have not been forgotten. All clothing fits the figure body position, being very well achieved.

IMG_2900_zpsx3tijrrf.jpg

It is still not bound in any WnW but I'm to believe that this day becomes a day.

F32-002 - RFC Pilot

IMG_2904_zps6af8dqmr.jpg

A RFC Pilot, just perfect for my Pup… J Cant`wait!

IMG_2914_zpsudqyg3qt.jpg

IMG_2905_zps0lw9zm6j.jpg

The resin of this one is slightly darker but good consistency as indeed all the samples we received from CSM.

IMG_2912_zps31wasnsy.jpg

IMG_2909_zpshqpanpdu.jpg

All the detail on the clothes are simply amazing, You just can smell the leather!

IMG_2906_zpsqcjrmwno.jpg

IMG_2919_zpstadmicju.jpg

The facial expression is very good with a slight smile as smiling at the fate and face death before the mission! Very good, love it.

IMG_2923_zps10mccot1.jpg

The glasses, buckle and leather helmet very sharp and well achieved.

This figure really looks great so I try to build it. Was more than fast. A perfect and little clean and voilà.

IMG_3022_zpsscvxoue1.jpg

Perfect! It is the first figures with construction to do with fittings so good and so little cleaning! In five minutes it is ready to be painted!

F32-003 - British Pilot

IMG_2924_zpso2clcuzp.jpg

This Pilot comes in 4 pieces with separate arms and head and one piece for torso and legs.

IMG_2926_zpslotewdbl.jpg

Once again builds up within minutes thanks to tiny resin blocks placed on the elbows and not on the joints.

Don`t worry about the elbow cloth details, as intelligently elbows are shrunken and as such stretch clothes so that there is little detail on clothing, so nothing is lost with the resin block.

Preparing for the mission by placing the glasses ... very accomplished posture with interesting details such as the gloves in his pocket.

IMG_2929_zpswdzf0p5k.jpg

IMG_2937_zpsoiplv8us.jpg

The expression of concentration and the clothes and recesses give a fantastic life to this figure and the whole scenario to which it is put.

F32-004 - German aerodrome personnel with grenades crade

IMG_2942_zpsysw5eomw.jpg

This is a little more complex that the others because it does have a grenate crate and a forcing position for the figure that have to carry that crate.

Five parts for the figure and grenade crate and ten grenades.

IMG_2948_zpsjxk5rpde.jpg

IMG_2957_zpsaocj3kox.jpg

In the face stands out the bushy mustache that gives a bright touch of realism to the figure!

The crate has almost no wood grain in relief, but given its size I think they are completely unnecessary and could even compromise the realism of the figure.

IMG_2963_zpst10stcio.jpg

IMG_2965_zps4ixjjrwo.jpg

The detail of clothing is once again high quality.

IMG_2954_zps5hfuck31.jpg

IMG_2955_zpseg7szemq.jpg

This is more complex but still the build is quite straightforward... 5 minutes and viola, ready for primer, forgot to take the picture…. Dohhh! Well bear with me and please trust me!

F-32-005 - German aerodrome personnel bomb loading

IMG_3084_zpsdbbljlbw.jpg

A loading bomb crew, This set is a perfect one to be on a LVG or DFW.

The total parts are 10 parts, being only two for the bomb.

IMG_3086_zpsulj94j2l.jpg

Head and arms are, like all other, separate from the main torso with legs.

IMG_3103_zpsb5jxfthf.jpg

IMG_3098_zpsfef28iwf.jpg

The poses are very well achieved with great details and sharp details in the hands. Only a little flash to be clean up.

The sharp detail is highlight for these pieces.

IMG_3088_zpsuqh683fh.jpg

IMG_3092_zpsw7qiw0cv.jpg

IMG_3094_zpstdytxmdd.jpg

IMG_3103_zpsb5jxfthf.jpg

The figures are in forcing positions representing quite well the effort of their work.

Already saw this set on a LVG and looks fantastic… Probably it also be adequate to the DFW or even the Gotha or the AEG.

F-32-006 German aerodrome personnel ordnance team with cart

IMG_2967_zpszuv2soch.jpg

This set comprised of three figures, in dynamic pose, along with a cart, grenades and grenade trays. 

Each of the figures has a complete torso with legs attached, like all others.

The card itself has four parts - the cart box, two wheels and the puller.

IMG_2979_zpsspj5j5ol.jpg

IMG_2982_zpstafwi44w.jpg

The cart box does have some good and delicate engraved woodgrain details on inside floor and outside walls. Below the detail has not been neglected and contains the support structure.

The wheels have some flash but little. They are highly accomplished despite its apparent fragility.

The puller has good detail at the junction with the card box with well represented buckles.

Thirty shells are provided in this set! More than sufficient for all the set or be placed in another Set

Casting excellent, good detail is easy to remove.

IMG_2992_zpswxrmwoae.jpg

IMG_3003_zpsr1ksoxyh.jpg

This Set gives you 3 figures and all of them were study to be tighter and interacting with each other. However at least one (the kneeling guy with the grenate crate) can be out of this scenario, and the modeler can put these in two dioramas at a very good price.

Starting with who is kneeling with a grenade crate has optimal posture with clothing, carved in an exceptional way to fully enable the capture of their movements.

IMG_2984_zpsnxakfrlg.jpg

IMG_2990_zpsuropyfdu.jpg

IMG_2988_zpsk37vuovl.jpg

The other two figures are bonding together in their posture, as they interacting with each other passing the grenades and putting down on the cart.

All the facial expressions are from very concentrated men doing their job, a quite delicate job, so they look good.

IMG_2984_zpsnxakfrlg.jpg

IMG_2990_zpsuropyfdu.jpg

IMG_2988_zpsk37vuovl.jpg

Like the other, the all body is one piece wth the head and arms separate. These do have optimum fit and easily achieved.

Really a truly high point for CSM. Reaching the painting stage is quite easy and quick.

The grenade crate is identical to the already revised so I have nothing more to say.

F32-007 - Royal Naval Air Service pilot (RNAS)

IMG_3083_zpsghvlcfuh.jpg

This one like all other has exquisite detail on the clothes and a true fantastic facial expression.

The assembly of this one is so but so easy that I just take a photo of it full build… with almost no cleaning at all… the seam line in some not even exist, like this one. A perfect figure with fantastic detail and almost ready to paint.

IMG_3017_zps5qa14zl5.jpg

Conclusion:

All of these sets do have a natural pose that would be an extra to all WnW model!

All the uniforms with their exquisite detail on the buttons, pockets, leathers, boots and all clothes wrinkles are very sharp and crispy detail with almost no cleaning to do.

The hands, facial expression and facial details (like eyes and mustache) are very well worked out and very convincing.

The resin chunks are very easy to remove.

Cooper State Models is a well know name in modelling Market and their Stuff mean QUALITY! You simply can go wrong with these figures, as they are perfect to stand on your shelf along with other stuff on WWI, mainly WnW.

I wish the CSM stay along with us for a long long time bring us another items of extreme quality!

VERY VERY Highly recommended.

My sincerely thanks to Copper State Models for the review samples.

CSM%20Logo%20Colour_zpsgwgypd3j.jpg

(You can buy directly here  and if you do don`t forget to mention Wingnut Wing Fans and Large Scale Modeller)

Fran