Aluminium Alloy Scale

James H

• Administrators

Aluminium Alloy Scale
DSPIAE

Catalogue # AT-AS
Available from Breveco Modelling for 16,50€

box.jpg

For the last of my current batch of reviews of DSPIAE tools, we look at their new Aluminium Alloy Scale, or in simple parlance, ‘scale rule’. Scale rules have all sort of incredibly useful applications in any part of our hobby where we are looking at measuring things in particular scale quantities. The new DSPIAE tool is packaged into a robust cardboard tube with an end-opening cap. Gone is the Aztec-style décor here, but the all-black tube does have a little décor that shows the end profile of the scale rule, plus the scales listed that it is marked in. These are 1/144, 1/100, 1/72, 1/48, 1/35 and 1/24.

DSC09516.JPG

Opening the tube up and sliding out the end cap reveals the familiar red anodising of the DSPIAE range, with the star-like profile of the rule inserted into a foam block within the cap to protect it. An identical foam block protects the opposite end of the rule, down within the tube. The rule itself measures 32cm and has a good weight to it that should make its use a breeze. If it was too light, I’d perhaps find it a little nondescript, but this has a good weighty feel that is reassuring. Also of note is that each scale isn’t printed right up to the edge, which is good in case you were to accidentally damage the end of the rule. DSPIAE has also removed the corners from the rule, so you won’t cut or stab yourself!

DSC09517.JPG

This rule has been designed with that profile so as to accommodate the six scales mentioned above, and these are neatly printed on these in fine white lines with the accompanying scale easy to note. Each scale is broken down into 1 metre equivalences, with each metre again subdivided into 10 parts (10cm equivalences).  In some cases, this is split down even further.

DSC09518.JPG

DSC09519.JPG

DSC09520.JPG

DSC09521.JPG

DSC09522.JPG

DSC09523.JPG

Conclusion
Another excellent tool that is superbly engineered and beautifully made. If I had only one question, it would be the lack of the popular 1/32 scale. Maybe this should have replaced 1/100 or 1/24. However, if you are in the market for a scale rule that is catered for by that this product offers, then I doubt you’d fine anything as good as this.

My sincere thanks to Breveco Modelling for supplying the review sample seen here. To purchase directly, click the link at the top of the article.

breveco.jpg.b4efe0317bb8b5186cf75ca9cdba1cb2.jpg.c5e7a51338e7813ecb12696d7d7eb1bf.jpg

• Like 1