Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

PAnderson

Brass paint

Hello All,

There was thread or two discussing how to do brass with paint. Someone, I forget who, had used clear yellow over aluminum and it looked awesome. So I tried an experiment and mixed up some Aluminum paint with some clear yellow and this is what I got.

1 part Tamiya Flat Aluminum

1 part Tamiya Clear Yellow

a couple of drops of Clear Orange to taste.

I'm calling out the brand only because I have no idea how other shades will work and this sis all I had.

This is the fuel and oil tank on my Fokker DVII I just started.

DSC_0135_zps9a5feee3.jpg

DSC_0134_zps761aa90f.jpg

I suppose it could be a little darker but I made up a small bottle and will use it until I find a better one. I might try adding a little copper to see what happens.

Paul

• Like 1

I mentioned it a while back Paul, it was done by our very own member Pfuf on a build I saw of his elsewhere. I reckon if you asked him, he would be able to give you the recipe.

This is his build on which I saw it:

ce743bf1-5652-4401-a5ab-79baa7bfc5b5_zps

• Like 1

Hi I first use chrome alclad and then spray it with Tamiya clear Yellow I do mix some clear Red in it to get a bit warmer glow finish it with clear lacker very small parts I paint them using a brush.

Johan

Thank you Johan ... I've given you extra work, sorry, but I was so impressed with your method that I just had to point it out to others.

Hi I first use chrome alclad and then spray it with Tamiya clear Yellow I do mix some clear Red in it to get a bit warmer glow finish it with clear lacker very small parts I paint them using a brush.

Johan

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x476/Pfuf_Stuff/Bristol%20F6b%20Wingnut%20Wings/DSC07037.jpg

Other than with Tamiya-paints there'll be no visible metallic particles, so it's a great technique!

I suppose one could use Alclad Pale Gold straight from the bottle too for brass?

I used Tamiya X-31 "Titanium Gold"  for the WNW Albatros DV fuel tank.

T2.jpg

T3.jpg

T4.jpg

T5.jpg

And Mr. Metal color No.:219 "brass" for the fuel tank's on the WNW Hansa Brandenburg W29

Cockpit2-1.jpg

Cockpit1-1.jpg

Restank3.jpg

Innen1-2.jpg

Innen4-1.jpg

I think,  -- in my eyes -- the Mr. Metal Color - "brass" is the perfect reproduction of the real "Brass".

Servus

Bertl

• Like 2

Here the Brandenburg tank without the "outside messing around".

Only Mr. Metal color "brass" (except for the two straps of course) and a little weathering with Tamiya "Smoke", -- that's all.

Tank1-1.jpg

Tank2-1.jpg

Tank3-1.jpg

Servus

Bertl

• Like 1