The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

An experiment in rust

PAnderson

Here is a little experiment I did after finding this rust antiquing kit while checking out another modellers armor build. I plan on using this a lot now for certain things. This is a two part set. The first is a grey primer that has iron particles suspended in it. The second is an oxidizing solution that actually creates the rust texture. Some of you may know about this already. but I am not sure how popular it is. So, for your info, here are some pics.

The kit as taken from it's box.

Rust2_zps5ec289ac.jpg

This is a pic I tried out on an old model that needed some enhancement. I plan on doing the whole model at a later date to add some more realism.

Rust3_zps99a295aa.jpg

Here is an old exhaust part from my DH9 that I wanted to experiment on. This will be used to do the exhaust on my Fokker DVII that I am currently building. This has also been sprayed with a clear flat varnish so I know it is safe to use.

Rust4_zpsfeb309d8.jpg

Rust5_zpsd0bb39a0.jpg

Rust6_zps3e2c07c6.jpg

I hope some of you find a use for this.

Paul

Interesting, i can only speak for WWII exhausts but I have never seen rusted exhaust pipes on service aircraft. Having been involved In aviation archaeology for many years the steel (inconel?) used is very rustproof. Sometimes I see heavily rusted exhausts on kits that look a bit overdone. They tend to get very hot and discolour heavily.

Cees

Whoa ! Am going have to have a look at this stuff - Paul, can you send me some details of it ... Perhaps a web address or something, I can see this being used by people who excel in those fabulous dio's of abandoned and aged cars, tanks, trains etc.

Can you vary the degree to which it "rusts up" ? Or the depth of the rust??

Interesting, i can only speak for WWII exhausts but I have never seen rusted exhaust pipes on service aircraft. Having been involved In aviation archaeology for many years the steel (inconel?) used is very rustproof. Sometimes I see heavily rusted exhausts on kits that look a bit overdone. They tend to get very hot and discolour heavily.

Cees

I understand and do agree Cees. The kit instructions called for "Rust" paint. WW! had not yet seen the advances in material technology. Stainless steel had just started being used in large quantities and I doubt if exhaust manifolds were stainless because welding technology had not caught up yet. That being said, I felt comfortable doing this to this aircraft since these were just welded steel tube, not even cast iron yet. Cast iron does rust but in a very even, smooth fashion, almost painted. I found that Hull Red mixed with some Tamiya Flat Base makes for a good cast rust finish.

Whoa ! Am going have to have a look at this stuff - Paul, can you send me some details of it ... Perhaps a web address or something, I can see this being used by people who excel in those fabulous dio's of abandoned and aged cars, tanks, trains etc.

Can you vary the degree to which it "rusts up" ? Or the depth of the rust??

Grant, I agree this stuff has potential for so many things. I initially saw this on another modellers work. Here is a web address for the company that makes it. I don't think they sell direct to the public. I got mine from Amazon. But they have a few other products you might be interested in. Yes the finish can be adjusted by multiple coats of the oxidizer. My example was 4 coats about an hour or so apart until the finish builds up.

http://www.modernoptions.com/

Paul

• Like 2