The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH B-52 in 1:48

crazypoet

The HPH B-52 is scheduled for limited release in 2-3 months, per an email I received today.

is anyone here planning to pick one up?  They are accepting pre-orders now.

This bird is huge even in 1:72; A 1:48 version is going to dominate any space it occupies 

i can *hope* for a future 1:32 release, but I suspect that 1:48 is going to be as good as it gets.

i have a pair of 1:72 kits that I plan to build as “bookends” for the B-52 - one from the Linebacker II campaign during the Vietnam war and the second from the early days of the first Gulf War

i’m at least re-evaluating my approach based on the HPH version...

that would be an impressive centerpiece in my “look what I did” space!

• Like 2

• Administrators

I'd love to say yes, but after buying, seeing and handling the B-36, I'll wait for the promised B-47.  The B-52 isn't my favorite aircraft in the entire world, and it will take up almost as much room as the B-36.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I'd love to say yes, but after buying, seeing and handling the B-36, I'll wait for the promised B-47.  The B-52 isn't my favorite aircraft in the entire world, and it will take up almost as much room as the B-36.

What are your thoughts on the B-36?  That’s another impressive bird!

• Like 1

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

What are your thoughts on the B-36?  That’s another impressive bird!

I actually love the B-36. It's bigger yet than the B-52, but if I had to do it again, I'd pass. 1/48 is beyond silly with the B-36. It's HUGE.  That being said, I'll never sell this thing. It's the kit of a lifetime for me, and being that I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, the B-36 has a huge connection with the local area and needs to be built to reflect that fact.

As for the kit itself, it's very. very nice, although I was extremely disappointed to not have separate flaps in the kit. The big wings are nice. but the flaps are scribed on.  The huge barn door fowler flaps on the Peacemaker are a signature feature, in my opinion, and cutting the fiberglass wings to scratchbuild flaps is a bridge too far for me.

• Like 2

Yah - cutting fiberglass isn't fun, and would mean a TON of scratchbuilding.  I can sorta see why they want to keep those wings as simple as possible from a manufacturing perspective, but flaps seem sorta basic, at least from the outside looking in.

I fell in love with the B-52 as a kid - my dad worked for a company that built components for the thing, so I had some *biased* early exposure.  I don't always agree with the way it's been used, but it's a magnificent bird in its own right - doubly so when you consider that it's on its 6th Decade of front-line service...

I love their work - but it's expensive enough that I have to plan my purchases carefully.  Fortunately, there's a bit of time to make a case for either the PBY or B-52 as a Christmas gift to myself...  :wine:

And the A-20 in 1:32 isn't due out until "sometime next year" - so I have time to plan for that one as well..

Wheee!

Edited by crazypoet
Oops - had “A-30” where it should have been “A-20”
  • Like 3

• Administrators

Agreed there. I love the B-52 for what it is as well, and my ambivalence towards the type has nothing to do with politics or how the aircraft has been employed, instead, for me, it's all about the appearance. I'm just not either a "grey jet" guy, nor am I totally into the SEA camo schemes. I prefer the NMF or oddball camo schemes.   And doing a B-52 as in Natural Metal is a big bite off the apple for me. 

Add to that that I'm at a point in my life where I evaluate each and every build I contemplate, both in regards to time and a place to put it when done, and suddenly these grand plans come fizzling down to earth.

I LOVE the big Peacemaker; she's a local girl, and I adore the super sexy B-47; she screams "Cold War". 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2019 at 3:32 PM, Clunkmeister said:

I LOVE the big Peacemaker; she's a local girl, and I adore the super sexy B-47; she screams "Cold War". 

Ooooooo.... B-47 in NMF....

that would be a hell of a project!

• Like 2