The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Beer Kegs for Tamiya Mk.IX Spitfire

Dave J

1/32 Beer Kegs for Tamiya Mk.IX Spitfire
Profimodeller
Catalogue # 32065
Available directly from ProfiModeller for 319,00 CZK

Beer_Spit-1.jpg

During the Second World War, brewery Henegar and Constable donated free beer to the Troops. After the D-Day landings in Normandy,
supplying the war effort with critical supplies was already an issue and as you could imagine, carting liquid refreshments was pushed down the vital supply list. Some crafty soldiers were able to source the non-essential supplies from the locals or by other means. It was the RAF Spitfire pilots that ended up with a better solution. This was eventually recognised as an official modification by the RAF... It was
called Modification XXX!

Beer_Spit-2.jpg

With the new Mk.IX Spitfire variant, one of its improvements/developments were under wing pylons for external fuel tanks and bombs. But with a bit of clever ingenuity it was discovered that a pylon could be modified to carry nearly anything... including Beer Kegs!

Beer_Spit-3.jpg

ProfiModeller have designed a neat conversion set for the modification XXX to be used on the 1/32 Tamiya Mk.IX Spitfire.
Which is available directly from their website, Product # 32065 (http://www.profimodeller.com/detail/32065-beer-kegs-spitfire/)

This set contains 34 resin parts for the beer kegs, 1 Photo Etch Fret, 1 plastic rod and a sheet of vinyl paint masks for two beer
carrying Spitfire schemes.

Beer_Spit-4.jpg

Beer_Spit-9.jpg

Beer_Spit-10.jpg

Beer_Spit-11.jpg

Beer_Spit-13.jpg

Beer_Spit-14.jpg

Beer_Spit-8.jpg

Beer_Spit-7.jpg

The resin parts are cast in a cream coloured resin, which are beautifully cast and are free of air bubbles or any imperfections. The
resin staves have a wood grain cast into them, so if you are worried about wood grain finishes you will just need to paint and just add an
oil wash with a darker brown to bring out the wood grain. The PE fret carries the metal hoops for each barrel and mounting plates for the
pylons. The vinyl mask set includes serial numbers and squadron codes for two Spitfires, but you will have to use the kits decals or source your vinyl paint masks for the roundel and fin flash. The two Spitfires that are included –

• Spitfire Mk.IXc, MK823, JE-J JR, Wing Commander J.E. "Johnnie" Johnson, 144th Wing, June 1944.
  • Spitfire Mk.IXc, MH978, M-FF, 132nd Wing RAF, June1944.

Beer_Spit-5.jpg

Beer_Spit-6.jpg

So what do we think?

Throughout different conflicts there have been some "interesting" items attached to aircraft, and this surely is one of them! An interesting and easy conversion set for the Tamiya Mk.IX Spitfire kit which will surely make your Spitfire pop out of out of a row of them!

Highly recommended

Our sincere thanks to ProfiMoldeller for the review sample used here. To purchase this directly, click THIS link.

logo.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Hmm...

Although historically accurate, I don't know about modelling an aircraft as a beer transport. Yes, great for troop morale and everything, but I see these magnificent aircraft as weapons of war, not cargo vessels.

I do know that Adolf Galland had a basket of fresh lobster and some champagne on ice in the rear of his Messerschmitt to attend a birthday party for "Oncle Theo" (Theo Osterkamp - an ace in BOTH World Wars - 32 in WW1 and 6 in WW2). He actually entered combat with his party supplies on board...classy guy, that Adolf Galland).

I might actually purchase this set for other purposes, as they are very well made barrels, great for dioramas etc.

• Like 1

Guest styrenedemon

I was just wondering (with the Eduard Royal Class on the way) why there weren't any of these in 32nd. This intrigued me right up until I saw the individual wooden planks. Way too much trouble for my taste. :(