Jump to content

M51 Israeli Sherman


Chris S
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here's a little armour build I've recently started on .

Its Dragon's Isherman ...or Israeli Sherman . Its actually one of their older kits with some new bling thrown in the box ,and the age of the kit is showing a bit :(

DSCF2561.jpg

 

I started off by making up all six HVSS suspension units ,these are quite nicely detailed and are fully workable :) ....120 parts here already !

 

DSCF2625.jpg

 

DSCF2627.jpg

 

Then got started on the hull ,and this is were the fun starts ....Not !! Just look at the fit of that Tranny housing ...and this is after a lot of sanding and jiggling about !!!

 

DSCF2628.jpg

 

The rear plate faired a bit better and went into place with no issues .

 

DSCF2629.jpg

 

But moving to the upper hull and more problems :( The rear deck just behind the turret ring had a bad bow or sag in it and the upper hull had a warp from front to back too ,set on a flat surface it rocked about corner to corner . So I used some warm water to soften the hull ,then straightened it out ,I fitted the rear deck panel and the back panel to keep it all in shape ,I also added some stiffeners inside the rear deck to make sure the bow didnt come back ...so far its looking good :). you might just see the stress marks in the plastic from having to bend it to shape .

 

DSCF2630.jpg

 

DSCF2631.jpg

 

Adry fit with the upper and lower along with the tranny housing before fixing it in place.

 

DSCF2632.jpg

 

DSCF2634.jpg

 

So I moved on ,filled the edges around the tranny housing ,fitted the bolt down strip and smothed that in as its part of the housing ,then re-textured a quick blast of primer to check .I then fitted the hull MG and brought the upper and lower hull together .

 

DSCF2649.jpg

 

DSCF2650.jpg

 

The welds didnt look to hot on the hull ,looking like ...errm ..lumps ..lol so I removed them and made some new welds from Milliput . ( the keen eyed among you will notice I fitted the Idler carrier back to front !! D'uh ....its been fixed now :) )

 

DSCF2651.jpg

 

I then started adding parts to the front of the hull while getting the turret together ...which was another nightmare ! the join between the upper and lower part needing some sanding ,filling ,sanding ,then re-textured ,I also removed the ugly looking weld on the Bustle and have made a new Double weld ,still have to add the weld on the bottom of the bustle .

 

DSCF2653.jpg

 

DSCF2659.jpg

 

DSCF2660.jpg

 

And thats where Im at now ,hopefully all the hard work is behind me and I can enjoy the rest of the build :)

 

Thanks for looking.

 

Chris.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Have both, Tamiya and Dragon version of this kit (imagine that Mikey!). The first thing noticed was the part count of the HVSS assemblies. 8 for Tamiya and 24(?) for Dragon. Will be watching closely for as Steve mentioned, also my favorite M4.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Have both, Tamiya and Dragon version of this kit (imagine that Mikey!). The first thing noticed was the part count of the HVSS assemblies. 8 for Tamiya and 24(?) for Dragon. Will be watching closely for as Steve mentioned, also my favorite M4.

 

I'm shocked! :o

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys , I've been chipping a way at this one over the past few days , should have some pics up tomorrow :) ...Steve / Paul , Honestly ...not a kit I could recommend ! ,Yes it has some very  nice detail ,and the HVSS are actually workable too But the fit issues are a real nightmare ,even the Etch fenders supplied in the kit dont fit properly ,I had to use the Eduard set . I will finish it tho ...I wont be beat !  lol

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Steve ,

If I was you ...I'd go for the Tamiya kit !!  lol  ...seriously ! unless you have this one in the stash that is ?

 

Sorry about the lack of updates on this one ,but I am slowly making some headway ...I think lol

Started on some of the etchwork , First up was the guards . I decided to use the kit supplied parts seeing as they where there ...BIG mistake ! the kit etch parts simply didnt fit ,the side guards were not to bad ,but the front corners were absolute rubbish !!! there's just no way they were going to fit .So I turned to the Eduard parts ,but to fit them I had to cut the corners of the sponsons ...no biggy tho , after doing that the Eduard parts fitted a treat :) and look better too .

 

DSCF2702.jpg

 

After that I started on the side bins ,again using the Eduard parts instead of the kits plastic parts which dont have much detail on them .

It took me some time getting one side done tho ...lol ,but they look much better ,well worth the effort I think ,they are also mounted on the correct brackets rather than stuck to the side like the plastic ones are .

 

DSCF2706.jpg

 

DSCF2705.jpg

 

And thats as far as I've got ! ..hope to have more time to spend on it this week :)

 

Thanks for looking

 

Chris.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...