Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya Spitfire VIII

Finished with the decals. I'll add the landing gear next then see about a over spray with clear flat. :)  (This particular a/c was not coded HL*K but HL*X. Some sources depict it as K as does the Victory Productions decal sheet which I used for some of the markings. A careful examination of the photo of the real a/c, in my humble opinion, not-so-clearly show it as X. It is also shown as X in the Osprey book American Spitfire Aces. So I went with X.) :) Click on the photo for best resolution.

11-10-21 001.jpg

• Like 9

The flap linkage doors on the wing remind me of a 1/4 scale Spit I built (back in 1998) where I made those functional. Getting them (and the fiddly two piece on each wing split flaps) to work smoothly and for the door to open/close properly lead to a lot of swearing. Took several weeks to get it to work. Eventually my wife thought these were Spitfire parts called the “F**king flaps” and the “F**king doors.” 

21875EB0-A7E3-4C38-9F00-B8B214160874.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, PeteF said:

The flap linkage doors on the wing remind me of a 1/4 scale Spit I built (back in 1998) where I made those functional. Getting them (and the fiddly two piece on each wing split flaps) to work smoothly and for the door to open/close properly lead to a lot of swearing. Took several weeks to get it to work. Eventually my wife thought these were Spitfire parts called the “F**king flaps” and the “F**king doors.” 

21875EB0-A7E3-4C38-9F00-B8B214160874.jpeg

LOL A lot more work than I'd be wanting to undertake! :)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Superb decal work and some mighty fine detective work as well.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! I just finished applying the clear flat coat so now it will be time to doing some weathering. :)

• Like 3