The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell P-51D Mustang - 2nd time around

Much appreciated Gaz

Masking has consumed untold amounts of both Tamiya masking tape and nearly as much time as actual build time. I do take a few days break in between masking session as it simply wears me out and then the stress of very carefully removing the Tamiya masking tape with fingers crossed that none of the NMF peels off ... so far, so good. 🤞

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

Rob

Much appreciated and thank you for the tips - next time I'm using yellow, a white undercoat is a must. I still have some more masking and paint work to do before reaching the decals stage and for the first time, I'm tossing around the possibility of actually using a clear glosscoat, sealing every thing in, then decaling and acrylic or oil washes. I can't use any enamel washes without a clearcoat as the AK Aluminum is enamel based and the Alclad is lacquer. I'm thinking of a  pure lacquer base gloss coat and then using either enamel or oil washes. My second concern is killing the NMF with the clearcoat. Still always trying to solve issues I never thought about before starting.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 2

Thanks Phil

Tamiya XF3 is surely a bear and paint to use. I was thinking of using a white undercoat, total forgot as I was in a rush and then after reading Rob's comments, realized it was the right way to go. next time around, I'll be using either MRP or Mr Color Yellow and hopefully one less issue to deal with.

Loads of backtracking and sometimes it felt more like two steps backwards and just one step forward, as I redid so much of the painting and building stages. Back in the old days (just have to stop saying that), we use to say: just keep on trucking!

Keep 'em comin

Peter   

• Like 1